im not sure if this has been covered before, but im going to ask anyway ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ronjohnonBB no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3181F02F

gps question

Advertisement

im not sure if this has been covered before, but im going to ask anyway and if it has if anyone could send me a link id appreciate it. so heres what i was wondering.

im sure you guys know, verizon has locked down the blackberry gps so it can only be used with VZnavigator. i have verizon, and im not about to pay a cancellation fee for one feature, however i really want to be able to use a feature i payed for when i bought the phone. i know the sprint and every other network that uses the 8130 allows the gps to be used for free. i think verizon programms the software in the phones they sell to make them work this way. so if i buy say a sprint 8130, and have it unlocked, or i buy any unlocked blackberry for that matter, will i be able to use the gps that the phone comes with on the verizon network?

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    You're experiencing the same issue many Telus clients are facing: use Telus Navigator or your gps doesn't work.
    It's a known issue with many CDMA carriers and a great work around is installing GPSed, http://www.gpsed.com - it's free and a pretty cool app that allows you to track your movements and upload a map to their site for you to view, or share with others.
    But besides it's features, it kick starts your GPS so Blackberry Maps will aquire a gps lock. Run BB Maps first, then get out and run the gpsed program. You go back to Maps and it will aquire a gps lock. :-)
    ~via BB8330 (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    3181F02F
    and in doing such, ill be able to use my phones gps and 3rd party apps such as google maps with out paying $10/month for vz navigator?

thank you for the help

javatyger no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    U5W15H
    Yeah it should work. Then you don't have to pay! I refuse to pay Telus for a service that is included with Blackberry services. It was working fine on my old pearl 8130, but not now.

GPSed is a cool program too, so you'll probably get some use out of it. I use it when I go for bike rides or travelling to see where and how far I've gone. :-)

Oh and yeah, you're welcome!!
    ~via BB8330 (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    3181F02F
    whats a gps lock like you were stating above. my blackberry gps works, but it never knows where i am, and i cant figure this GPSed thing out, can i have some more details on how to make this work?

Valiantdust no está en línea Stack level 1
    Wait, wait, am I reading this right? GPSed works on CDMA phones -- even on carriers that have crippled the onboard GPS? Awesome!

I'm on Sprint (so my GPS isn't crippled), but I know a guy on Verizon who was pretty ticked that his 8830's GPS was hamstrung. I'll pass it on to him, thanks much.

mercurio no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24665AEF
    GPSed works great for me on my BB 8110. I've been using Google maps and wondering when/if my GPS unit is being used (instead of the cell triangulation). I don't pay for the GPS access on my planm so I wondered if I can even make use of it. With GPSed, it's clear that GPS works w/o extra fees to AT&T. GPSed gives very detailed access to the GPS location, and it provides accurate logs and detail.

firegeek no está en línea Stack level 3
    I cannot get it to start on my VZW 8130. Just says that it is squiring GPS and then nothing. Trying to use it with google maps. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

uncleman no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    317BC293
    Anyone actually get this to work on a VZ BB?

PIN/ID
    3181F02F
    Quote Originally Posted by firegeek View Post
    I cannot get it to start on my VZW 8130. Just says that it is squiring GPS and then nothing. Trying to use it with google maps. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    mines doing the exact same thing

disctosser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask me!
    The only way I got it to work was to open vznavigator, select a follow me map to start a GPS track, and the switch applications to GPSed and start a track there. GPSed will NOT kick start vzw GPS without a vznavigator subscription.

That's my experience anyways.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~