I know there are a lot of posts out there about GPS navigation systems on ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

StellaCaelum5 no está en línea Stack level 2

Question GPS on Blackberry?- confused....

Advertisement

I know there are a lot of posts out there about GPS navigation systems on the blackberry, but I don't really understand what many of them are saying (as far as buying additional bluetooth hardware- does a bluetooth headset cout?), and I'm not sure if they're really answering the questions I'm asking. So here goes:

1) Can I use GMaps as my GPS? Meaning it will act like a Tom-Tom and give my exact location and give turn-by-turn directions over the speakerphone/bluetooth hardware?

2) Does GMaps on the 8100 have real-time traffic updates?

3) How much does extra bluetooth hardware cost if my bluetooth headset doesn't work?

Oh I'm on TMobile using the EDGE network and I have a h700 bluetooth headset.

I'm really new to the game (literally just got the pearl a week ago and had a SLVR before)... so sorry if I have a lot of repeat/mundane questions....

-ST

gorcorps no está en línea Stack level 3
    An external bluetooth GPS dongle will run around $40-$100 from what Ive researched. I was looking into these fairly recently.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    To answer a couple questions, GMaps will not give voice directions, nor does it have traffic updates. You would need a Telenav type service for that. Also, the 8100 does not have built in GPS, so you would need a bluetooth GPS dongle like gorcorps mentioned in order for GMaps to even find you using GPS. Without it, it will use cell tower positioning to find you and that's not as acurate.....
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

moblo55 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    is the bluetooth gps dongle something that you would attach to your phone somehow, or would you just need it to be in range of your blackberry? it sounds like something i would like to get my hands on seeing as im running on telenav maps right now
    TRUST me...im a pro

psi chick no está en línea Stack level 4
    it's a bluetooth gps puck. you synch it the same way that you would a ear piece. that then allows you to have real gps and you can use telenav for turn-by-turn directions, etc.

vnvnation85 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    To answer a couple questions, GMaps will not give voice directions, nor does it have traffic updates. You would need a Telenav type service for that. Also, the 8100 does not have built in GPS, so you would need a bluetooth GPS dongle like gorcorps mentioned in order for GMaps to even find you using GPS. Without it, it will use cell tower positioning to find you and that's not as acurate.....

Do you need the data service as well? I have read in multiple threads that you need a data package to have your exact location streamed. I have t-mobile, I was considering unlocking the phone to bypass. Can someone help?

Quote Originally Posted by vnvnation85 View Post
    Do you need the data service as well? I have read in multiple threads that you need a data package to have your exact location streamed. I have t-mobile, I was considering unlocking the phone to bypass. Can someone help?

Yes you need a data plan because the maps are not stored on the device, they are streamed to your BB as needed when in use.
    Twitter? My Apps List

StellaCaelum5 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Oooh, thanks for all the answers....

I'm using GMaps right now and it works pretty well. Is telenav an app I can download or is it something completely separate like a TomTom I'd have to purchase?....

Telenav is a download for your Blackberry, this is what I use and am pretty happy with it, but it is not free, there is a $10 per month fee. Here's a link, they do have a 30 day free trial.

http://www.telenav.com/campaign-bb/i...68gx254pi4ai22

There's also mapquest, I've never tried it, but they have a 3 day trial and also costs $10 per month.

http://beta.mapquest.com/features/slashmobile_navigator

Both of these have many features that would make them worth the monthly fee, just remember, you also need a bluetooth GPS puck/receiver since your 8100 does not have built in GPS capabilities. Here are a few links to GPS pucks...I have never used these particular items or purchased from these web sites, I'm just trying to give you an idea of what to look for:

http://www.compuplus.com/i-USGlobalS...3pv5pwk4tag280

http://www.buygpsnow.com/

Hope this helps you out
    Twitter? My Apps List