Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

seriously, I have looked in every forum and talked to lots of people. I have ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ladydianab no está en línea Stack level 1

GPS I don't get it....

Advertisement

seriously, I have looked in every forum and talked to lots of people. I have the pearl. love it! I want GPS though. I have the telenav icon on my phone and activated it. Pretty cool but it's not live nor does it have voice directions. My question is how do I get voice directions? Does the Curve have that feature? Do I need a "puck"? help.... thanks di

beeshabo no está en línea Stack level 6

Re: GPS I don't get it....

Quote Originally Posted by ladydianab View Post
    seriously, I have looked in every forum and talked to lots of people. I have the pearl. love it! I want GPS though. I have the telenav icon on my phone and activated it. Pretty cool but it's not live nor does it have voice directions. My question is how do I get voice directions? Does the Curve have that feature? Do I need a "puck"? help.... thanks di
    Yeah I too have a pearl, and GPS would be totally awesome!! I downloaded google maps, and its pretty good too, it give you word by word directions (not voice though)...Not exactly sure about GPS, I think its an attachment of some sort

Let me know if you find out...........

cyberspastic no está en línea Stack level 5

I know with the curve you can buy what is called a GPS puck that allows you to have true GPS. I think you can do that with the pearl too.

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by ladydianab View Post
    The 8100 and 8300 do not have a GPS built in, you would need to get a bluetooth GPS to connect with the BB.

astroboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    252FE5C0

Yeah, with the pearl you need a GPS Puck. I've had one for about six months and absolutely love it. With Blackberry maps it shows where you are and gives you speed and heading information, with Google Maps, it shows a little blinking circle for your location. With google maps you can use your location to find nearby stuff (restaurants, businesses, etc), and you can also get directions to anything from your current location. For both Google Maps and Blackberry Maps, you need to be in an area with a good enough signal for your internet to work for the phone to download maps. I have heard there are other software packages available for purchase that actually store a map on your phone's memory card and therefore aren't dependent on a good signal for navigation. There are several good threads on here on the pucks.

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5

I download InfoSpace FindIt! under the downloads sections. It is an awesome app. I think and it does givey ou voice directions. It also does a TON of other great stuff. Check it out..
    ~Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by lauren25 View Post
    I download InfoSpace FindIt! under the downloads sections. It is an awesome app. I think and it does givey ou voice directions. It also does a TON of other great stuff. Check it out..

Hey Lauren....how did you download InfoSpace FindIt??? I tried a while back....and all it gave me was a findit_Blackberry_8100.jad file

Is it OTA (only)??, seems to be...if so, How do I download it? What's the URL
    Thanks in advance!!!

fenrisswolf no está en línea Stack level 1

If you have the latest version of google maps, it will also give you an approximate position via cell phone tower triangulation, even if you don't have GPS.

Accuracy will depend on your location and the number of cell towers around, but for me, it's within 2 city blocks (or closer) of my actual position for most places in town.

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisswolf View Post
    If you have the latest version of google maps, it will also give you an approximate position via cell phone tower triangulation, even if you don't have GPS.

Accuracy will depend on your location and the number of cell towers around, but for me, it's within 2 city blocks (or closer) of my actual position for most places in town.
    I was able to download InfoSpace FindIt....and its SO AWESOME!!...the audio is so cool..
    But does anyone know if it still works without the internet?????

Glad you were able to find it, sorry it took so long to reply. I'm pretty sure you need to use the internet.
    ~Lauren

Glad you were able to find it, sorry it took so long to reply. I'm pretty sure you need to use the internet.
    Yeah I got it...I just emailed myself the link to my BB Email Address

Hmmmmm.....that sucks if it NEEDS the internet!! cuz It would cost you a lot to use it if you don't have a data plan!! I have a date plan.....but I don't use the internet THAT MUCH so I might cancel it

Up to you if you want to cancel it. I can't image using my BB without a data plan and I don't use the internet all too much. I do have JiveTalk on 24/7 and get e-mails, and that alone would stack up my bill if I didn't have a data plan.
    ~Lauren

Up to you if you want to cancel it. I can't image using my BB without a data plan and I don't use the internet all too much. I do have JiveTalk on 24/7 and get e-mails, and that alone would stack up my bill if I didn't have a data plan.
    yeah...I hardly use the internet, or receive email, its just that I pay A LOT every month for everything...and to not use it all that often, may not be worth it for me!!

I'm still thinking about it though.....the plans (AT&T) are getting better since the popularity of PDA's and SmartPhones so...Maybe they'll have a better plan (soon)

dooley0813 no está en línea Stack level 1

I so wish I had your GPS problems!! I am still with "ole faithful"...7130e!

Yogich no está en línea Stack level 3
    I understand that the data plan is a bit more than TMO, but before you decide to cancel, you might at least try the Findit app. It is awesome. I also use BB Maps, & Google Maps. Sometimes, having more than one will help me find a better route. I use the 'findit' app to do what the name suggests: find businesses, & route to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast