Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was just wondering if there is any charges associated with gps. I know that ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lilleboy no está en línea Stack level 1

Gps

Advertisement

I was just wondering if there is any charges associated with gps. I know that global positioning system was established by the u.s.a department of defense to be "free", but does the pearl come with ALL the maps of North America, or does it have to download them off the service provider satellite? if so does this cost money? Also, does the pearl pre-loaded google maps software have the option of selecting addresses?

Thanks

kayos72 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    ask me

Re: Gps

Welcome to the stacks. someone smarter than myself should be along shortly to assist you.

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ the use of the satelites is free... Not sure about the maps on the pearl though

PIN/ID
    ask me

pearl doesn't have built in gps. the maps feature is run off data.

lilleboy no está en línea Stack level 1

I know, i bought a gps reciever Holux GPSlim 240, i just wanted to know if it will have my city in North America loaded on the phone already or if not would it ever have to connect to the internet to get updates or whatever and charge me.

Thanks

PIN/ID
    ask me

sorry misunderstood the question. unaware of gps + pearl just want to keep this near the top for the gurus.

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

First of all, the Pearl doesn't come preloaded with the Google Maps software, maybe you just got it confused with BB Maps.

Secondly, the maps program doesn't store map information on your phone until you view that area with the program.Imagine if all the maps were stored with the program permanently, that would take up an unbelievable amount of memory.

Finally, the maps program uses data in order to give you a view of the maps, so as long as you have an unlimited data plan you should be set.

chatster18 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ASK

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ also inorder to use GPS features it is my understanding that you need to use google maps or a software like spot ...

tee51397 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E8FA80

I'm brand new here so this may not be correct. In the options of blackberry maps there is an option to check for GPS, mine was enabled for gps as default. I don't have a reciever so I dont know if it works for sure but given that option box I would think blackberry maps is GPS capable.

seedyburner no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2438f59d

tee, your are correct... it is capable.

MrGolf no está en línea Stack level 2

Well, this is one of the downsides to the blackberry. I just returned an iPAQ 6925 because, while it was great at GPS and everything else, it was a poor phone. I used iGuidance on the iPAQ, and had all the maps of the U.S. loaded on a 2GB miniSD card.

It is my understanding, however, that the Pearl is not capable of this since it can't access the external memory on a microSD card from its GPS firmware. So, as someone mentioned, it pulls maps as needed from the data connection. This is one thing I hope RIM will fix in future models of the Pearl. Mostly because iGuidance was by far the BEST GPS software I tried ($50 too).

me_flay no está en línea Stack level 1
    I was just wondering whether anybody is already using Spot, does it come with all kinds of maps? Apparently it is possible to download it directly from the programers website, but can that be correct, around 200MB??? If so, not that it only take ages to download, also tons of cash (well at least in Germany...)!

LanceInPants no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D427F
    I recently ordered the 240 GPS module and can't wait for it to get here! I just hope my data connection is adaquite to handle the map running full time. I hear Tmo is upgrading extensively throughout the US in the next year.
    What floors me is I bought this phone to escape my rip off cingular bill, now I'm buying all kinds of gadgets I never would have purchased before! Oh well, you can't take it with you and I'm having fun with it...

LanceInPants no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204D427F
    Update:
    I got my 240 today and paired it up and it works great!

hf1khal no está en línea Stack level 1
    Also one can use wayfinder with voice directios ($99 one tme feee but with limited POI and no interaction with the address book) or Telenav for $10 a month with vocie as well an excelent POI and integration to teh address book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast