Can't seem to find a solid answer on this. Just wondering if they blocked the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pseudosuit no está en línea Stack level 1

Does Google Maps work with the internal GPS on ATT 8110?

Advertisement

Can't seem to find a solid answer on this. Just wondering if they blocked the use of the GPS somehow to anything other than their navigator app. I was messing with one in the retail store and put google maps on it but couldn't get the GPS working. Not sure what the problem was. Anyone know?

Thanks.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    If your carrier is VZW, yep! It's blocked! They are talking about unlocking due to complaints and legal issues.

Nope, ATT.

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    the 8110 has built in GPS...i have AT&T ....does this mean that if i get the 8110 i wouldnt be able to use google maps with exact location?

thats the only reason i wanna upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Ekzt1nr View Post
    the 8110 has built in GPS...i have AT&T ....does this mean that if i get the 8110 i wouldnt be able to use google maps with exact location?

thats the only reason i wanna upgrade
    Uhh...that's what I'm asking here...

Ekzt1nr no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudosuit View Post
    Uhh...that's what I'm asking here...
    so you went to a store and couldnt get it to work? did it say it was blocked?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekzt1nr View Post
    so you went to a store and couldnt get it to work? did it say it was blocked?
    After I installed google maps and it started it said that the application was trying to access GPS location information, do you allow it? I said allow but when google maps started there was no "use gps" option and the my location was using triangulation. I didn't have much time to mess with it, that's all I did. So I figured I'd ask here for some solid answers.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    It will work, you have to give it time to work and locate your GPS.

Also make sure you have a clear view of the sky when first trying to locate the satellites. So do that under options, GPS.

Then it should find the satellites fine after that, and google maps should find your location after a minute or two depending on your location and it's ability to lock on the satellites.

There are some variables that come into factor, the building you're in, if it's shielded, tress, location, etc.

I use to live in a house second floor with getting full bars and I could never find my location via GPS. Now I live in a basement with 2 to 4 bars of coverage and can lock on in seconds. So it's pretty much a shot in the dark.

Good luck.

That's good to know. I just wanted to make sure they didn't lock out the GPS so you HAD to use Navigator.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    yeah you're fine, AT&T isn't as bas as Verizon when it comes to that.

javijavi no está en línea Stack level 3
    You would never get a GPS lock within a retail store anyway. While it would be best to wait for someone who actually has an 8110 to confirm, the general consensus is that since nobody has complained yet, ATT likely isnt doing what VZ is.

logicbomb.de no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Allow me to chime in...

I have an 8110 on AT&T and can confirm first hand that Google Maps works great with the on-board GPS.

I can also verify that GPS is NOT blocked even if you don't pay for the AT&T Navigator BS.

I've already removed the Free trial from my wireless plan and I've already reached a new billing cycle and all GPS functions still work great (Gmaps, Live Search, Geocache Navigator).

You won't be able to use BB maps, since AT&T blocks it to try to get you to pay for Telenav, buts that the extent of the limitations that AT&T put on the 8110.

all other 3rd party GPS apps work great!

Hope you enjoy your new 8110!!

silentkiller42 no está en línea Stack level 1
    After reading this thread, i tested out the Google Maps with my Brand New 8110 and I have to say it works like a dream. It pinned point me in my apartment (kinda freaky it had the pinpointed me almost to my bed) the only thing that might be a tie breaker for some is the google maps does not do turn by turn voice nav, at least not that i have found yet.

mercurio no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24665AEF
    argh. i have and 8110 with at&t and i'm still not able to get the damn thing to work. I have an advanced option for "GPS" that has the following properties:

GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Services: Location ON
    GPS Location:
    Latitude: N 0 0.00'
    Longitude: N 0 0.00'
    Fix Time: None
    Number of Satellites: 0
    Accuracy: 0.0 M

Location Aiding: Enabled

There is an menu option for "Refresh GPS", and I have tried to do this outdoors , with perfect sky conditions. Still, no dice.

I asked the people at at&t and they [cluelessly] said I can't use GPS without their software. From what I see above I can, but perhaps they have to register me for the service (and turn on the device's function) before it becomes usable by other software like GMaps.

Any other advice from those that got this to work?