I have used BB Maps that came with my Pearl and it is OK. Last ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mbarlow no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E81EC0

Question Google Maps questions

Advertisement

I have used BB Maps that came with my Pearl and it is OK. Last weekend I downloaded Google Maps to my iPaq to use in my wife's Pilot. I noticed it has GPS capability which is great. It is pretty basic navigation package, but its free and I'm cheap.

I went to the Google Maps page and did some research thinking it would be nice to have Google Maps on my Pearl for traffic updates, if nothing further. The site said Google Maps is not supported by TMobile, my carrier. Is anyone else out there using Google Maps with TMobile? This was the first I had heard about it not working on TMob devices.

Have any Pearl users gotten GPS to work with their device? Thanks!

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Re: Google Maps questions

Load away my friend. I have been using GoogleMaps on TMO for 6 months and it works great. Especially the traffic updates and satellite imagery.

nmadd no está en línea Stack level 3

I can't comment on the GPS but I second that Google Maps works perfectly on TMo. It's definitley an app that I can't live without!

Have fun.

maestrowork no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by mbarlow
    Is anyone else out there using Google Maps with TMobile? This was the first I had heard about it not working on TMob devices.

Have any Pearl users gotten GPS to work with their device? Thanks!
    GMaps work wonderfully on TMO Pearl. I prefer it. Unfortunately, it's not GPS enabled yet for the Pearl. But I suspect that will come soon.

berry wiz no está en línea Stack level 1

is there anyway that you can have google maps for a non enabled browser pearl for tmobile

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Nope got to have data plan.

BB DOWNLOADS
    WWW.*****.COM

Silanieito no está en línea Stack level 1

i've been using googlemaps on my pearl and it has worked well. Unfortunately (If im not mistaken) the pearl is not GPS enabled. In order to use a GPS system with it (i.e. "telenav") you have buy a special "router" or something in that sense that picks up the GPS signal then sends it to the pearl through a bluetooth signal. Telenav gets quite expensive (esp. when $10/month adds up) plus you have to forkover another $100 to get the "router" just to get the service to work. I'm pretty content with googlemaps. It hasn't given me any problems what so ever. =)

bgrainger no está en línea Stack level 2

Google Maps does not support GPS at least on the Pearl. If you want to use GPS on the Pearl you need a BT GPS "puck". Then BB Maps or Telenav will receive that signal and tell you where you are, give you directions etc.

I won't pay for Telenav. Don't need directions that much that $10.00/mo is worth it.

BB Maps I have found has some holes in it. There is a subdivision behind me that has been there for 5 years. BB Maps does not have it in their system. Google Maps does. I like BB Maps text directions rather than GMaps method of giving them.... so I have both on my Pearl.

I don't have a BT GPS Puck so no biggie. It is nice to be lost, beable to get an address off a house and have GMaps or BB Maps recalculate your directions.

JFPutnam no está en línea Stack level 1

I have found that a Holux GPSlim 240 from semsons which is small, and bluetooth and costs about $80 and charges with the same connector as the Pearl works great with Google maps. Just used it in China, not maps but worked great with the satelite pictures.

I had one problem though. The favorites for some keys like 4,5,6,7,8,9 cant be edited because the keyboard uses them for map movements. Anyone know how to edit favorites, or get more favorites than just 9 stored?

Thanks,

---JP