Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Befor I had a Samsung + Tmo's 5.99$ T-mobile web that I could surf the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Americanista no está en línea Stack level 2

Good bye Data Plan

Advertisement

Befor I had a Samsung + Tmo's 5.99$ T-mobile web that I could surf the "mobile web". (unlimited)
    I then bought a BB and got tmo's Data Plan for 19.99$ : unlimited web client e-mail and "web browsing.

I like the idea of having email on my phone but really didn't take full potential of it. I really like the maps from both the BB and the google one I downloaded. But I used my BB for surfing the web + some cool apps I installed on it.

I needed to cut some expenses from different places and decided to cut my data plan from my BB and add the T-mobile web back on, the rep didn't know if it would work for the BB for some reason, he kept on saying that it only worked with the data plan. ...

I tried surfing the web using the BB browser with no luck. Tried doing it under different settings and still nothing. I then remembered I had downloaded the Opera browser a few days ago and gave it a shot and guess what, Bam I'm surfing the web and with a few changes to the settings on it I'm liking the Opera over the default BB browser. lmao! Sure I can't load up the maps and whatnot but oh well. The BB is my first smart phone and from my experience I got punked into paying 15$ extra from something I didn't need. I did tell the rep on why I wanted the BB for the surfing abilities and he didn't mention I could do it with the old t-mobile web I had. ... that bastard.....

Ok well I'm just happy it works w/o the data plan... .

j llama no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    4U2ASKME

Re: Good bye Data Plan

i guess its a decent work around using Opera for full web browsing via TMO lil web stuff, but i'm sticking to my full data plan. After having it this long i would go thru withdrawls at this point. Amongst all my friends, i'm the goto guy if somebody needs to know anything that needs looked up on the web if i'm out and about. The email is crucial, and not to mention i spend about two hours a day on Jivetalk with my girlfriend

just my two pence

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

have you tried to push service books thru opera? just wondering what you are missing? especially since you 'had' the data plan before and cancelled it versus someone who never activates the plan. make sense?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I could never give up my data access. I would be lonely without BB and Google Talk Messengers. The day that no one could use their BB made me aware of just how much I used mine to look up information online, use email and chat without having to lug around a laptop.

exilio no está en línea Stack level 2

Interstingly enough, I feel a BB with no data plan is no BB at all. That is what makes it so incredibly useful.

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sad

adelina no está en línea Stack level 2

I also just have the $5.99 plan. I can use Google Maps and my Gmail app and Opera mini so i'm happy. It's got everything I need. I don't know anyone else with a blackberry so I can't use PIN anyway.

(and i'm just going to ignore your avatar HAHA)

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

If you do not rely on the BB browser and only seldem to moderately need to find something on the web on your phone, then i can see deleting the BB web browser feature and using opera. However, if you wanted to IM or send MMS, not gonna happen. And to top it all off, if by some miricle you can Macguyver the BB settings to send MMS because T-MO mistankingly left a door open on the server to allow you to do so and it breaks or stops good luck getting help to fix it.

iamrex no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23f71b3c

you can still surf without the data plan?? wow!! thats cool!!! hey you sure that they're not charging you for internet usage like penny per kilobytes?
    iloveu

No, Tmo does not have that " ability". It's either a ftr you are paying for or not. The only instance you would be charged per Kb is if you are roaming outside of the USA or if the billing system makes a boo boo.

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

As a non-corporate user NOT dependant on push email, I user my BB primarily to access the web (Gmail, Google Maps, surfing, etc.), organizing contacts and calendar scheduling. I don't use BB email. If what Americanista is saying is a viable set-up, I am VERY interested in saving the $14 a month and removing my greatest complaint about my BB... my monthly bill is just too damn big.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanista
    I tried surfing the web using the BB browser with no luck. Tried doing it under different settings and still nothing..
    The BB browser relies on RIM's servers to process all web requests. So, during the RIM outage a couple of weeks ago, BB browsing did not work, but some users reported that Opera continued to work! Thru OM they were able to grab GMail and continue working, while applications dependent on the RIM system were essentially dead. This is a VERY significant workaround for BB users in the know.

I then remembered I had downloaded the Opera browser a few days ago and gave it a shot and guess what, Bam I'm surfing the web and with a few changes to the settings on it I'm liking the Opera over the default BB browser. lmao!.
    This worked for you because most likely you had loaded Opera OTA when you had the $20 data plan. Could Opera have been installed from Desktop Mgr, as a desktop download, and then configured? Americanista, what were your setting changes?

Sure I can't load up the maps and whatnot but oh well.
    Did you try Google Maps thru Opera?

The BB is my first smart phone and from my experience I got punked into paying 15$ extra from something I didn't need. I did tell the rep on why I wanted the BB for the surfing abilities and he didn't mention I could do it with the old t-mobile web I had. ... that bastard..... .
    Don't get too mad at your rep... they just don't know about your setup. Can you imagine them trying to explain your work-around to a casual user? Forget it! Too much trouble, and when there are problems or it doesn't work, they don't have the support to troubleshoot it. RIM and TMO just want you to use their hardware AND data service, and have their reps repeat the mantra: you MUST have a data plan ($20-30) for a BB to work.

It's easier for them AND the bottom line: mo' money, mo' money, mo' money!!!
    Last edited by 2-4Trippin; 05-01-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Absolutely right, it always comes down to the bottom line. Money. But you also make a very valid point. How can tmobile offer assistance too something that the manufacteror says they do not support and/or is not possible. Can't get too mad at the rep. Just doing thier job and all.

If texting is what you also like about the data plan, for 4.99$ you can have unlimited texting and still save 10$ extra. I will have to try to see how I can get google map to work. On the opera question, I don't see how you can't just download it via your pc and use your DM to install it.

The only settings I changed on the opera was the color, font, and increased the amount of quality, resolution.

Hope that gives more info

edit. spelling ><
    Last edited by Americanista; 05-01-2007 at 11:12 PM.

imo there isn't a great if any difference to bb browsing and mobile browsing. I mean sure the italy os gives you the desktop view but Opera also gives u a desktop view and I like it much better.

krazed14 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23E18D0B

Quote "my monthly bill is just too damn big" hey 2-4 trippin, how much do you pay a month, my average bill is $220 a month, trust me paying $10 less isn't really gonna change that... And if you use blackberry doesn't the data go through the blackberry server and somehow makes the data easier to load on the blackberry... Because before I got the pearl I had a samsung t509 and a razr and the mobile internet on them were slower den mi granny....anyways, I recommend the data plan becuase its made specifically for the blackberry and you could end up screwing up your phone later on cause of this... I dunno this is what I think...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast