Hey Guys, I just picked up my first BB (Pearl) from Cingular 3 days ago ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

mikebbpearl no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Gmail Java error w/ Cingular (setup issue)

Advertisement

Hey Guys,

I just picked up my first BB (Pearl) from Cingular 3 days ago with unlimited data plan. I have an issue with my Gmail, I can't access my Gmail account after downloading the gmail.com/app program for my phone.

I seached google and came across a few different article about this issue, with no luck resolving it. I have confirmed my two java options are activated. I called the guy at the Cingular Store and he had me create my BB account and add gmail to my.cingular.blackberry account and have it push the gmail emails to my phone. But I want to access gmail directly. I also called cingular with no luck, and they transfered me to the BB diect support and he was clueless too - and said to call google...ugh

I've read people have it working on their Pearl and I want to resove this issue. Below is a summary of the error and steps I've tried to resolve it.

The gmail application will show 'loading...' but I get these errors (I've recevied different ones):
    • java lang Error Cause Unknown
    • "This program requires a data connection. Please contact your carrier, or visit the Gmail Mobile FAQ on your computer for more info."
    • java lang NoClass DefFoundError: Cause Unknow
    I've tried these things:
    • Uninstalling the Gmail app, rebooting phone, confirming the two java options are checked and redownloading the gmail app
    • Installing the Google services (mail, search, maps, news), everything but the gmail/email will work.
    Does anyone have a fix for this issue? I love the phone but have spent the last two nights blowing many hours trying to research and resolve.

Thanks,
    Mike

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Gmail Java error w/ Cingular (setup issue)

weird. Also try going to options / advanced options / applications / scroll to "gmail" and press track wheel to select edit permissions. Make sure everything is set to allow.

Ya, I've tried that too.

Thanks for the tip...

I wonder if I should return my BB Pearl and get a new one and see what happens??

mikecancook no está en línea Stack level 1

I've installed google service package OTA and have had the same problem with getting Gmail to work. Each time I try to log in, the resulting message is displayed:

"net.rim.device.api.system.ControlledAccessExcepti on: Missing RCC signature. Not allowed to accessCerticom functionality."

I have the unlimited personal blackberry plan from cingular. I don't know why Gmail won't run. I've check that the application is selected in advanced options like the last post described.

Anyone else having this problem? Better yet, has anyone remedied from this problem?

Thank you.

confidant no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23EAAD8E

Hey Guys,

I had the exact same problem when I first got my phone. The problem is that Gmail is a third-party app that isn't "supposedly" supported by BB hence BB won't let it use its network service to access it. So I FAQ'd Google and someone told me to just call Cingular (which is my service provider) and ask to to enable my internet browsing service. From that info, I took to understand that the internet service of BB and the internet service of Cingular is completely seperate (thought about it and realized duh). In other words you're getting that error because BB doesn't allow you to use it through its own service so you have to have your service provider open up their internet for you to use it. Either way, Cingular doesn't seem to be or mention they will charge me for enabling internet browsing because I am paying $40 extra for the BB service ($30 BB + $10 Unl. Text).

Short of the story, call your service provider and ask them to enable your internet browsing service/access or something.

Hope that helps. Worked for me!

Hey Confidant,

First, thanks for taking the time to outline your situation/information. Your solution also WORKED for me!!

So... to those who are in the same boat as me, here is what I learned and what fixed the problem. I hope this helps other Pearl/Gmail users.

My Original Phone Set up:
    • Cingular service
    • BB Pearl 8100
    • Internet: Media Net (Icon) - this is Cingulars internet service
    As I mentioned in my first post, you can see the steps I took that did not solve the problem. Based on what 'confidant' said, I called Cingular to active my other internet service. I only had one internet (browser) icon on my application view - it was called Media Net. From what the guy at cingular told me, this is Cingulars internet service. He activated the BB internet (Icon called 'Browser'), had me remove the battrey with the phone one and do a hard/full reboot..

I then logged into the gmail after the phone rebooted and I noticed gmail was displaying 'loading...' longer with out giving me the java error, and then it worked!!!

In conclusion, I'm not sure if it was the internet service activation or the actual hard reboot that solved the problem.

So why are there two internet service options on a Blackberry? The guy at cingular told me the BB internet serivce (icon is called 'browser') is better at displaying websites compared to the cingular browser called 'Media Net'.

I think if you try the options I had listed on my original post, and then remove the battery for a hard reboot that might work (make sure phone is on while removing the battery)... If not, make sure you have both internet icon on your application list, do a hard reboot, then log into gmail...

I hope this helps people...

- if anyone else trys this and finds out more info, please share/post. I want to make sure we help other users out since cingular and the BB support were CLUELESS!

Thanks,
    Mike

mikecancook no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks to confidant and mikebbpearl.

I had the same problem as mikebbpearl and followed confidant's instructions. Here's what I did:

1) Call cingular support for data support
    2) Asked them to enable my BB internet browser
    3) They enabled and the BB internet browser showed up as a new icon on my BB interface.

Gmail application that I downloaded OTA from mobile.google.com works perfectly!

Hey Mikecancook,

Good to hear you resolved your issue... I glad to see my post helped other members. I know it was a pain to work out, and I was not about to give up until I figured it out... .

cheers!
    Mike