what are some good programs for geocaching on the pearl with a holux slim 236?... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Jsex no está en línea Stack level 2

geocaching

Advertisement

what are some good programs for geocaching on the pearl with a holux slim 236?

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: geocaching

good question. i've never gone on a hunt for a cache, but always wanted to. i'm curious what people have to say about this!

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Have you looked at Spot for the BlackBerry? Or maybe one of their other products.
    JerryD

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Jerry

how does Spot compare to some other GPS apps like Telenav or any other of the apps discussed on PS?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Don't know - never tried it, but did just find the OTA install:
    http://micro.skylab-mobilesystems.com/
    JerryD

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I use my handheld GPS unit. (I had it before I got my Pearl.) I'm thinking about getting a puck, just to try it, so I can grab hides near work on days I don't happen to have my Garmin.

However, I don't go anywhere without my Pearl now. I use it for paperless Caching.

If you get into Geocaching, and set up a premium account on Geocaching.com, you can create "Pocket Queries". These are customized searches that will find waypoints/caches in the area you define in the Query. It creates two files for me. One is the GPX file that I need to load up to my Garmin unit. The other is a PRC file that I load onto my Pearl.

The PRC file is a Mobi Pocket Reader eBook. I can open up the eBook anywhere, and read the cache description and hints if necessary.

Finally, when I'm really feeling geeky, I log into the geocaching wap site, and log my finds directly from my Pearl in the field. Works great on the weekend Road Trip cache hunts when I might do 15-20 caches in a day and I don't want to have to log them all at one time when I get home.

I can't remember the mobipocket reader website, but I got the link from somewhere on this site. Geocaching.com is selfexplanatory I hope. The wap site is wap.geocaching.com.

Hope that helps.

edit: http://m.mobipocket.com (OTA link)
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 07-18-2007 at 04:40 PM.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Wow, nobody else does anything with their Pearl for Geocaching?
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Jsex no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    Wow, nobody else does anything with their Pearl for Geocaching?
    i guess not... hopefully i find a program that doesnt break the bank

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Mobipocket is free. Geocaching Premium membership is $30. Thats all I have purchased.

aimeekelley no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    askme

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i am confused!! What does it do? And what purpose does it serve? I have never heard of this!

jmarley no está en línea Stack level 2

same here..what exactly is geocaching?

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Geocaching is a game. Its hide and seek with a GPSr (GPS Receiver)

There are several websites out there that support the game, but the largest and most popular is Geocaching.com.

If you go to the site and type in your zip code, it will display a list of all the Caches (sometimes called "hides") in your area. You download the waypoints (Coordinates) for the Cache to your GPSr and then off you go.

When you get close to Ground Zero, the fun begins. GPSr's are only accurate to within 20 feet, so once you are at the site, you will have to find the hide the good old fashioned way.

There are many types of containers. Most are simply Ammo Containers, but some are made to look like rocks. And others are just film canisters or magnetic key holders.

The game is a lot of fun. Great for keeping children occupied also.
    Last edited by LaTuFu; 07-21-2007 at 11:29 AM.

PIN/ID
    Just Ax

There is also a service/application called Geocache Navigator that works with certain GPS enabled mobile phones. I have no idea how it works or if it works with Berries, since I am AT&T and it doesn't appear to be one of the wireless carriers that supports it.

If your carrier supports it, I'd be curious to know if it supports BB devices.

Edit: Nevermind, it only appears to work with Motorola devices and a select few other models. It looked pretty selective when I started looking at it.

$6.99/mo. if you have a Razr and want to give it a try.

boxochalk no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu
    I use my handheld GPS unit. (I had it before I got my Pearl.) I'm thinking about getting a puck, just to try it, so I can grab hides near work on days I don't happen to have my Garmin.

However, I don't go anywhere without my Pearl now. I use it for paperless Caching.

If you get into Geocaching, and set up a premium account on Geocaching.com, you can create "Pocket Queries". These are customized searches that will find waypoints/caches in the area you define in the Query. It creates two files for me. One is the GPX file that I need to load up to my Garmin unit. The other is a PRC file that I load onto my Pearl.

The PRC file is a Mobi Pocket Reader eBook. I can open up the eBook anywhere, and read the cache description and hints if necessary.

Finally, when I'm really feeling geeky, I log into the geocaching wap site, and log my finds directly from my Pearl in the field. Works great on the weekend Road Trip cache hunts when I might do 15-20 caches in a day and I don't want to have to log them all at one time when I get home.

I can't remember the mobipocket reader website, but I got the link from somewhere on this site. Geocaching.com is selfexplanatory I hope. The wap site is wap.geocaching.com.

Hope that helps.

I came to the forums looking for an answer to my paperless Geocaching question!!!
    I set up my pocket query to also send the .prc file, and it works great when I transfer the file from my PC to the Pearl's data card.

My big question is; How the heck do I open the .prc file from the pocket query email on my Pearl without having to transfer it through my PC?

Can I somehow save the file from the email attachment directly to my data card? Or better yet, somehow get it to open directly from the email? When I try, I get an "Unrecognized document format." error.

Any ideas?

boxochalk no está en línea Stack level 1

Awesome GSAK Macro for Mobipocket

can't post the url, but here is the non-hypertext part... gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6134

If you have a Blackberry, you MUST try this!

GC.com recently discontinued the ebook option for pocket queries.
    I found this GREAT macro on the GSAK message boards.

I think it is even better than the original ebook pocket query because you can filter in GSAK before creating the ebook.

Enjoy!

boxochalk