Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A few things that I found out about Color Pearl. 1) I love the program. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

a4 moda no está en línea Stack level 2

FYI About Color Pearl

Advertisement

A few things that I found out about Color Pearl.

1) I love the program. My pearl lights up different colors.
    2) it's sporadic. Sometimes the White LED will light up, sometimes not. The White LED tends to drown out the color of the other LEDs, it's a shame. But I don't know quite how to fix this issue, when the phone goes into dim mode. The lights turn off and the color pearl goes off. When I press a button, it comes out of standby or auto dim and the keys and LCD light up. When the pearl lights up, sometimes the white one lights up (not good), or sometimes it stays unlit (good, becuase it won't drown out the color of the other LEDs).
    3) the Custom feature is awesome, featuring 2 digits per colors (RR GG BB) either 0=off or 1=on
    The first digit or second digit one singularly will activate either a passive on or active LED on signal. I forget which. The only difference is that one is brighter and the other is very dim.
    4) Color Pearl Program will seep sooooo much battery. I've only had my brand new BB for about 2 months, so my battery is very good. With Color Pearl on, the phone will have juice for 1.5 days. With color pearl off, my BB will have juice for 4-5 days !!! Even with Bluetooth on!!!!

The most important observation is #4.

Good luck

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: FYI About Color Pearl

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    The white LED only will light up when the ambient light isn't enough to see. The sensor is the same for the auto dim option. So when there isn't enough light the auto dim option will kick on and the white LED will also kick on.

a4 moda no está en línea Stack level 2

Good point, I didn't think about that.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    The white LED only will light up when the ambient light isn't enough to see. The sensor is the same for the auto dim option. So when there isn't enough light the auto dim option will kick on and the white LED will also kick on.

Encrypt no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC6F6

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    Mine stays lit the same color the entire time, no matter the ambient light. I never get a white LED.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

I think that the problem with color change after initial start up has to do with the autodim feature being on and this is what is causing the increased battery usage as well. Bare with me and read on a bit. When the auto dim feature activates, it washes out the color slightly due to the addition of the white LED. I was just playing with my 8100 (without the ColorPearl program active) and noticed that sometimes when I turned on the back light the whie LED and the keypad backlighting would be off but when I turned the device slightly and my hand was slightly blocking the backlighting (it is night and the lamp behind me would be blocked slightly) then the LEDS for the trackball and the keypad lighting would illuminate. I believe that this is why it is getting washed out sometimes, as the user is blocking the ambient lighting and the autodim sensor is taking over and this also may account for the increased battery usage as it may not be normally activating while the ColorPearl question is causing it to activate at all times. Just my $0.02 and observations.

Dafodyll no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me

I have colour your track ball which I paid for and works great. However I wanted to be able to make my own custom colors so I grabbed this app. Trouble is this app wouldn't work for me with the other app loaded even if I disabled colour your track ball. I had to choose one or the other and since I paid for the other I chose that one. :cry: I hate having to choose. I want it all.

~Amie~

Lowrider no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Color it gone! (uninstall)
    -----------------------------------
    Thx a lot!
    Low
    OSU Buckeye's # 1

capitalst no está en línea Stack level 1

So let me get this right. Using the color program will drain the battery a lot more?

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4

I installed ColorPearl a few days ago. I have not noticed any extra battery drainage. Can anyone confirm extra battery drainage?

VeryBerry no está en línea Stack level 3

From what I can see it does turn on three extra led's that aren't normally used. So I could imagine it would use more battery power but leds dont use very much power...wouldn't consider it "draining".

BTW: why would rim put these other leds there...were they meant for this program? I don't see them come on for anything else.

I was wondering the same, so I have disabled the program for a few days until I can clarify the truth of the claim or not for myself (as everyones usage pattern is different, there may be different results, as the more you are fiddling with your device this could be the case, especially if autodim in conjuction with the program could be the culprit, ie keeping the lights on when not necessary in certain situations). Should no for my own personal usage within a couple of days and then will decide if the coolness factor is enough to merit using again (if no difference fro me it is definitily a no brainer).

I am just wondering as I have no base to draw on as the program went on my device from the beginning.

You are correct in that LED's don't consume much power, but when the number of them is increased and there is a finite power source driving them I can see where battery life can take a hit. Like I just mentioned, that hit can be different for each user as it can depend on the situations and environment that the device is used in (ie the more one uses vibrate the more battery drain can be seen and combine that with ringing and the hit is all the more increased, everyhing in moderation is always better).

PetRiLJoe no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2404533C
    I am interested in this Color Pearl. I searched the downloads section here without finding it. Where can I get it and is it a free application or not?

Thanks,
    -Joseph L

Encrypt no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC6F6

http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/

Scroll down just a bit and you will see it (its alphabetized).

Follow up:

I was just playing around with the device at work and noticed that with the program disabled that the trackball nor keypad would light up in my desk area as the overhead lighting was very bright and not needing the backlighting assistance. When I activated in the dark all would light correctly. When I reenabled the program, the trackball lights all of the time, but the keypad only as needed (same as the previous scenerio). I could see that if one were to be in well lit areas when they use their BB and they have the timeout set for a long duration, that they could see a jump in battery consumption from this added lighting and drain on the battery. I have not noticed any sever increase in the time since I have been testing this, so I am back to the ball being lit as I like it much more this way and actually missed it. In my particular situation it tends to not make a large difference, but I can see where the consummate user would see an increased drain on their battery. Pretty scientific testing, huh???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast