Hi folks, Now that the whole gmail snafu has been resolved (gmail + BIS = ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

piezo no está en línea Stack level 1

Function of Standby and closing applications

Advertisement

Hi folks,

Now that the whole gmail snafu has been resolved (gmail + BIS = BES? ) , well at least for the present, had two questions that have been bugging me past few days. I'm a new blackberry owner so perhaps i'm missing the obvious.

1) Mute button can be used to place the phone into Standby mode. What does this exactly mean? I know the radio's still on and it's receiving messages, etc. So is the power savings only coming from the screen being off?

2) Hitting the end/power button and using the escape buttons only take you to the home screen - the applications continue to run and drain power. I like the fact that the RIM OS multitasks, but is there a quick way to actually close an application?

Sorry if it's self evident; thanks in advance.

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    Not sure exactly what the Mute button does maybe someone else can elaborate on that one.

In most applications you can hit menu and then select close.

Also using the "back" button instead of the "end" button will back out instead of just hiding it.

oops. To clarify my question:

1) What advantages does Standby mode offer? People talk about better battery life etc...but how is there an advantage when the device still receives messages and calls etc. (The mute button at the top of the Pearl places the device into Standby mode)

2) I'm wondering if there is a shortcut key to close an application down, without having to go to the menu and selecting close. I find myself using the end or escape keys to leave a program, but like you said that won't actually shut down the program. So how do I close a program without using the menu command?

XLiMBS no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    20F3D846
    The back button does actually close the program, just make sure that you hit that button and not the end button (since they are so close together.)

The only thing that standby mode does is shut off the screen of the BB, this does save battery life because the screen light does take up a considerable ammount of battery power.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dkozinn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f260fb
    Quote Originally Posted by XLiMBS
    The back button does actually close the program, just make sure that you hit that button and not the end button (since they are so close together.)
    Not that I'm arguing, but if it does indeed close the application, why does it show up when you do a "Switch Applications" (either with the menu or with Alt-Escape? (Or is it just that some applications don't want to really close?)

EvolutionCSR no está en línea Stack level 5
    What application doesn't close when hitting back?

There are a few applications that will always show up when you do a "switch applications".

Quote Originally Posted by dfc420
    What application doesn't close when hitting back?

There are a few applications that will always show up when you do a "switch applications".
    Well the back button does work on a few of the applications, particularly if there is only one screen/page to interact with.

So the calculator application is no problem since there is only one screen (the calculator interface) that you interact with. But if there is more than one page involved then it won't quit the app. For example if I was using the browser and i've followed various links on websites, the 'back' button will take me back to the previous page - not quit the application. So if I was three pages along in a website, I would have to hit the 'back' button 3 times to exit.

The gmail java app is another one, and the default OZ IM client is another. So it still looks like the menu>close command is still the surest way to shut an application down.

I think the Phone, BB messenger, home screen, messages, and browser are the applications that can't be shut down (for obvious reasons I take it!), at least on mine. They always show up on my alt-escape menu.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    For example if I was using the browser and i've followed various links on websites, the 'back' button will take me back to the previous page - not quit the application. So if I was three pages along in a website, I would have to hit the 'back' button 3 times to exit.
    Piezo, yes, the browser is one of the Apps that never close, but If you press and hold the Back/Esc button slightly, it will close all the pages, or give you the option if you set the Prompt before close in the Options.

As to the following two paragraphs you are correct. This is because they all need to be open to get the Push information that you depend on receiving when using them.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

u4ya no está en línea Stack level 1
    I out the phone on standby once and the alarm I had set didn't activate!

via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

shellgame921 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Function of Standby and closing applications

I think this would be the place to ask this -

I try to activate the voicedialing service on my 8100 and I get an error message that says "Unable to allocate audio channel. Close other applications and try again."

Maybe I have started up another application that is using the audio channel?