Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get more than 16 Mb free ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

rachaeltb no está en línea Stack level 1

Freeing up Memory?

Advertisement

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get more than 16 Mb free on my Verizon BB 8130. I've read (nearly) all the threads on clearing out stuff I don't need/freeing up memory, but I'm still at about 16 Mb free. So far I've deleted all the unnecessary language packs, BB Maps, themes I don't use & preloaded pictures. I also have it set so my emails and texts get deleted after 15 days and my calendar only holds appointments for 30 days. The only application I have installed is Google Maps (and I have the bPhone theme).

I just don't understand how other people have managed to get as much as 30 Mb free space (and isn't the minimum suggested about 20?). Any suggestions? Am I missing something obvious? Am I just out of luck?

Thanks in advance!

RayZ no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Freeing up Memory?

After a battery pull I'm showing 28mb free. I'm using an 8100 though, just a thought but could the 4.5 OS use more memory? I'm also running the bPhone theme and have a 2gig media card.that's after I delete call logs, sms, mms, and all email that I don't need.then run the memory cleaning app in the security settings. I don't know why my memory is more than yours. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3

Ok noob queston: what does freeing up all the memory possible really benefit? And how much do you really need for the OS to run smoothly?

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Do you also have your settings in media options set to lowest....device memory limit 12, and reserved pictures memory to 0? I have the 8130 on one of the newer OS, 4.3.0.81. I deleted the preloaded pics and video. I also deleted the PTT(push to talk), and brickbreaker since I don't use it. I clear my event logs usually daily and my browser cache as well and do a soft reset at least every 3 days.

I still have all preloaded themes as well as 3 others I downloaded. I aslo have the following 3rd party apps installed: BB maps, google maps, BB alerts, BBsmart HTLM email viewer, viigo, pinstack launcher, my flashlight, mobylo multialarm, diet point calculator, soft reset, lingo, hangman, bb messenger, and wikipedia launcher......even with all this, I still have 19.4 MB after a soft reset. So considering what you have for apps, it seems low, unless those 15-30 days worth of emails and text messages are large in number. I tend to delete those daily as well....that may be the difference. 16 MB is a good working level though, just check your available memory daily and if it gets down to 10mb definitely do a soft reset/battery pull...I recomend the soft reset program, you can download it here at the pinstack downloads......no more battery pulls, soft reset is easier and better for the BB most people say.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

Quote Originally Posted by phatmanxxl View Post
    Ok noob queston: what does freeing up all the memory possible really benefit? And how much do you really need for the OS to run smoothly?

I never have had problems when my free memory is over 10 MB. Many people like it higher, some even say they run fine at 6-7. I think it depends on your model, OS, and apps you use. If it gets too low though, your BB will start deleting things on you without warning...your messages and call logs will just start disappearing on you. It will delete anything it thinks is unnecesary in order to keep the main OS working. So you want to keep an eye on it, and you want to keep it as free as possible to avoid problems.
    Twitter? My Apps List

PIN/ID
    3M TA3

cool thanks for the info, i like to get the most out if my phones and any info helps, especially with phones like the BB, i to keep it running smoothly.

Another thing I forgot to mention that I deleted was the "help" application......it takes up quite a bit of memory and I find I get better help here on pinstack anyway. So its a good one to get rid of.... Big space waster IMO.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

broch no está en línea Stack level 2

I have 24MB free on Pearl 8130/Verizon
    deleted
    - help
    - extra languages
    - sample video
    - extra pictures
    - VAD (Voice Activated Dialing)
    - PTT
    - themes (with the exception of dimension)
    - preinstalled wallpapers
    - some small stuff (e.g. MDS Runtime DOD cetificates as I don't use BES)
    - disabled picture saving on device (I have SD card)
    - set OS reserved memory to minimum (12MB). This actually is default setting

added DocHawk, Empower HTML email viewer, softreset, dimension today plus theme

= 24MB free

PIN/ID
    3M TA3

how do you take off apps like search, and VAD? Its not on the desktop manager or in the advanced options.

i did manage to take off the vids, languages and help.
    maybe my 8100 has a different config.

but i think i got 29 megs free by the looks of it. I did install pacman, colorevent, soft reset and bomber.
    Last edited by phatmanxxl; 03-05-2008 at 04:43 PM.

BobL no está en línea Stack level 2

One key is to close programs using the menu, not the end (red key). The end key keeps it in memory. I do this and have about 25 meg free all the time with a lot of apps loaded.

phatmanxxl about VAD....This is how I did it, do this at your own risk and back up your BB first. Make a folder on your desktop, I called mine "unused BB apps". Then on your PC go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8130-4.3.0.81 P 3.1.0.40(yours will be different it will match your device and OS etc.\Java

In this folder you can cut the files that say net_rim_vad, in mine there were 10 of them, then paste them into your folder you created on your desktop, that way they will be there if you decide to put them back later. After they have been removed, plug in your BB, start desktop manager, and it should notice the change and prompt you to allow it to update.

Mine worked fine after removing them, the only strange thing is that in the "options" on the bb, when I tried to click on "about" nothing happened, but all info there can be found other places so it was not totally necessary. If your BB isnt' working how you want it to after the change......just cut the files from the desktop folder you put them in and return them to the java folder plug your BB to the PC open Desktop manager again and it will promt to update again and put them back.

You can also use this method to remove the PTT(push to talk) if you don't use it...here's a tutorial Lavagirl wrote up on that: http://www.pinstack.com/blackberryforums/blog.php?b=187

I wouldn't remove the search...it's a pretty small app and could come in handy some day. Just be very careful of what you remove and be sure to put it in the folder on the desktop so everything you remove will be easy to find if needed. You don't want to go digging through your computers trash bin later to try and find it.

If you are unsure or have questions ask first....
    Twitter? My Apps List

stuart B no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256c5822

I'vee got a 8120 and wish to do the same thing. If I goto run and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8130-4.3.0.81 P 3.1.0.40 but altering it to my version will the firmsware already be there?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    3M TA3

meh sounds like too much work for something that wont make much of a difference in the long run, thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart B View Post
    I'vee got a 8120 and wish to do the same thing. If I goto run and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8130-4.3.0.81 P 3.1.0.40 but altering it to my version will the firmsware already be there?

After loader files Yours should read 8120 and then the numbers should match your OS then when you open your java folder the files will be there.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mothy no está en línea Stack level 2
    Oddly enough I updated to the latest Verizon os and removed the vad Files and still can access the about screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast