Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yup, its by FCC standards. The carrier must give you the unlocking code for your ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

babaganoosh no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Free unlocking from TMobile

Advertisement

Yup, its by FCC standards.

The carrier must give you the unlocking code for your phone.

Blondiexpl no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e9e043

ok they can unlock the phone. but why would u want to?i mean i jut had bad experience with unlocked phones, cant send mms etc...

drmoze no está en línea Stack level 2

I'd rather pay someone $100 or so to look up my phone info (I would imagine using data obtained under questionable circumstances) and give me an unlock code. There's a guy around here who does that and everyone seems to love him. *Much* better than getting your phone unlocked free!

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by drmoze
    I'd rather pay someone $100 or so to look up my phone info (I would imagine using data obtained under questionable circumstances) and give me an unlock code. There's a guy around here who does that and everyone seems to love him. *Much* better than getting your phone unlocked free!
    is this a joke?, lol. You get an unlock code for free from your provider as well

Couldn't find the right smiley, but it was dripping with sarcasm. I can't understand people singing praises of someone who charges an arm and a leg for providing something that carriers (at least in the US) are required to give you free. And I still wonder where these people get their "secret" info from. Doesn't seem to be on the up-and-up IMO.

8604life no está en línea Stack level 1

What Does "unlocking Your Phone" mean ? what do you get be unlocking the phone ??

Unlocking your phone means you get unlimited use of the "search" button in this forum. $^)

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Couldn't find the right smiley, but it was dripping with sarcasm. I can't understand people singing praises of someone who charges an arm and a leg for providing something that carriers (at least in the US) are required to give you free. And I still wonder where these people get their "secret" info from. Doesn't seem to be on the up-and-up IMO.
    oh lol then, btw I tried to answer your thread on basic txt questions

Unlocking your phone means you get unlimited use of the "search" button in this forum. $^)
    Ok, A Funny Guy...Thanks!!!

JadedBerry no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    203B4165

hi 8604life, Unlocking your phone simply means that you can use it on ANY carrier, it's no longer locked to a specific carrier. For instance, I use an 8700c (c meaning cingular) on my Tmobile network.

Hope this helps
    Jade
    One out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

Quote Originally Posted by JadedBerry
    hi 8604life, Unlocking your phone simply means that you can use it on ANY carrier, it's no longer locked to a specific carrier. For instance, I use an 8700c (c meaning cingular) on my Tmobile network.

Hope this helps
    Jade
    provided that the model is compatible with the carrier mind you. Don't everyone go buying pearls, unlocking them, and then trying to use a GSM device on sprint's CDMA =) Just to clarify
    The Stacks Rock.....

Just signed up to Pinstack? Please visit the following:
    Forum Policies ~ Posting Guidelines ~ BB FAQ ~ Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by JadedBerry

Hope this helps
    Jade
    Thanks For The info !

rivviepop no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Blondiexpl
    ok they can unlock the phone. but why would u want to?i mean i jut had bad experience with unlocked phones, cant send mms etc...
    That has nothing to do with unlocking -- you either had an unbramded phone or another carrier branded phone you were trying to use to send MMS, and it didn't have the right settings configured. I've used unlocked and/or unbranded phones with T-mo for a very long time, they all work 100% fine provided you punch in the right setup. With a "normal" T-Mobile branded phone all these settings are preconfigured for you, that's all.

squ34k no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EAD2EE

Quote Originally Posted by mikew
    The only catch is that your account must be active for 90 days before your request for the unlock code will be issued.
    I'm sure it works the same way with Cingular. I upgraded my phone from a previous phone and it puts another 2-years on my contract. Does that mean I have to wait 90 days from the day got my Pearl?
    Will you be my friend?
    AIM: killaninjamnky
    Y!: isitupsidedown
    MSN: squ34k@gmail.com
    PIN - 23EAD2EE

YMark no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by babaganoosh
    Yup, its by FCC standards.

The carrier must give you the unlocking code for your phone.
    Not so fast there..... The law has been changed so that it is no longer illegal to unlock your phone that is locked by the carrier. The carrier can NOT prevent someone from unlocking their phone.

However, the law does NOT state that the carrier MUST give you an unlocking code or that they have to help you unlock it.

But a ruling by the U.S. Copyright Office that went into effect Monday now allows cell phone users to legally break the software "lock" placed on their cell phones and move their phones from one carrier to another.

The ruling doesn't prevent cellular companies from locking a phone, but if a consumer unlocks it he wouldn't be in violation of copyright infringement rules, said Jennifer Granick, executive director of Stanford Law School's Center for Internet and Society.

Unlocking a phone requires entering codes or a special set of numbers, which a cellular company may or may not share with the user. Verizon Wireless doesn't lock its cell phones. T-Mobile will unlock a customer's phone 90 days after fulfillment of the contract. Sprint won't unlock phones because it believes customers already benefit from a Sprint-subsidized phones, said Travis Sowders, a spokesman for Sprint Nextel. Cingular will do it upon request but only when a contract expires or under specific conditions, said Mike Broom, a Cingular spokesman.
    Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast