Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Work sent me a Verizon Pearl this week to replace my T-Mobile Pearl. Great right? ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

3Car no está en línea Stack level 1

First day with 8130, many issues

Advertisement

Work sent me a Verizon Pearl this week to replace my T-Mobile Pearl. Great right? I asked for the swap primarily for the better rural coverage that Verizon provides, the extra features of the 8130 are just a bonus.

Anyway, during it's first day in use (today), I had to pull the battery five different times. For some reason, the screen would just go white and the hourglass would start cycling in the middle of the screen. Keys being pressed or held down accomplished nothing each time this happened. It would go through a cycle, kind of shut down and then start up with a white screen and the red light blinking again and then do the same semi shut down again.

Any ideas or has this happened to anyone else and if so, was there a resolution? My 8100 was flawless, I don't recall this ever happening. Do I need to provide some more information to help troubleshoot?

I made one change to the blackberry since it used the enterprise service to download my contacts, calendar, etc. The change was an OTA theme, which I uninstalled this evening in the vain hopes that it solves the problem.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired

Re: First day with 8130, many issues

I use the 8130 on BES and adding theme(s) did not have that effect on mine, Check with your I.T dept and see if they have placed restrictions on adding 3rd party apps.

armus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31833E7E

I've had a few issues of reboots but not a lot. What OS did yours ship with? The 4.3 system is IMO still in beta testing - and we are the unwilling testers. After my first day with some frustrations too it settled down. I know I spent 3 hours on the phone with the tech support people getting it goong that first day.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

valentinoracing no está en línea Stack level 1

i have had mine for about 5 days now and has been nothing shorty of flawless (verizon as-well)

your business could of very well changed a setting, messed with something while they were trying to load it with all of the software they require you to use.

You have to be careful with 3rd party apps, but my reccomendation to you is to try and get your IT dept, to reinstall the OS on the phone for you...basically re-flash it ... just make sure your contacts are saved of-course

sergeyd no está en línea Stack level 1

does anyone with 8130 try to download 3rd party software OTA? It seems to have an issue with loading, we get 907 invalid cod every time we try.
    Sergey Fradkov
    Quickoffice, Inc
    www.quickoffice.com

kkwus74 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    320FB874

i downloaded quite a couple and had no problems.....what were you trying to download?

bbsadaj no está en línea Stack level 1

the only thing that i've had trouble with has been OTA themes making it seem a little buggy. other than that any apps have come over and worked flawless!

Second day with the 8130 and still the same issues. Worked flawlessly throughout the morning and then about mid afternoon started crashing. I've pulled the battery 4 times in the last hour.

I stand corrected regarding that OTA theme I downloaded, I did not uninstall it, just switched back to one of the stock themese. I can't figure out who to delete it, even from the app loader.

I'm thinking this is an OS issue but I'm a relative newbie at this. My Desktop Manager version if 4.2.1.8, my OS on the 8130 is 4.3.0.60.

I know this is a stupid question, but should the two match (OS and Desktop MGR version)? Consider that my information is synchronized with BES wirelessly so there is really not a reason I use the desktop manager very much. Also, any chance this crashing is being caused by my Bluetooth headset? I know it seems a stretch, but who knows.

armus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31833E7E

There is an issue with 4.3 and some ota stuff saying the jad file is invalid. There is also an issue with loading themes via outer on some versions of the os. Let's hope they are corrected soon. I know several carriers have yet to publish their OS version like AllTel's 4.3.0.82~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

SQFreak no está en línea Stack level 1

Try upgrading to the Sprint OS - 4.3.0.71. It fixes a number of the issues with the VZW stock OS. Failing that, VZW should replace the device if you tell them about the problem, but the fact that you're on a corporate account could make it a little tricky.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Can I "upgrade" to the Sprint OS without affecting anything my company has configured for BES?

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 3Car View Post
    Can I "upgrade" to the Sprint OS without affecting anything my company has configured for BES?
    First things first.. Let's get the possibly offending theme off your device. With the BB attached to the PC via USB open desktop manager (version 4.3 is what I use) and run the application loader and uncheck the theme you downloaded. Finish going through the app loader and it should reboot the device and remove the theme. While your in there you can free up some space by removing any un-needed apps like the sample video and languages you don't want. If the theme is not listed there or it does not remove from the BB, then on you BB go to: Menu > Options > Advanced Options > Applications > find the theme and highlight it, then hit the menu and delete. This should remove the theme and reboot the device. After the theme is removed do a back up of the BB to protect the apps you have and other information.

Next download the Sprint OS here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...BB765225CE8C0E
    Uninstall any currently installed OS from your PC, not the desktop manager but the BB OS, this is important since the DM will load the version you have and not the upgrade if they are both on the same PC
    Install the Sprint OS onto your PC. After installing on your PC, you will need to delete the vendor.xml file located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    Run Desktop Manager after deleting the file and it should advise you that an update is available. Run the update which will take about 20-30 minutes to complete. Be patient and let it complete fully, don't disconnect the BB or power it down until it is done.

Let me know how that works out for you.
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 01-04-2008 at 09:33 AM.

Doughdaddy - Excellent! I removed the two themes I had downloaded. I'm going to wait another day and see if they were the offending culprits. If so, I'll let sleeping dogs lie and do without the OS Upgrade.

If not, you mentioned I should uninstall any currently installed OS from your PC, not the desktop manager but the BB OS. How do you uninstall the BB OS from the PC? Also, is there anything specific that I would be losing from an enterprise perspective that would not allow me to connect back with the BES? I guess I don't understand how my company's BES knows it is my blackberry to communicate with...is it just the phone number or do they have something embedded in the OS or DM?

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you would remove the OS through the add remove programs as any other windows app. If you never installed a previous version of the OS on your pc then there would be nothing to remove and you could just install the new one. The update should not affect the bes since it will restore the BB info at completion.

Okay, the advice seems to be working. I updated the OS to the latest Sprint Version...flawless process, good advice.

However, now that it's been two days without "crashing", I also have quit getting any emails from the corporate account through BES. Perhaps updating the OS did in fact do something to the communication path. Does anybody know if updating the OS would have fouled up my connection to corporate email?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast