When you are at your home screen, you can start typing the begining part of ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ROSCOE no está en línea Stack level 1

Finding names from the Home screen

Advertisement

When you are at your home screen, you can start typing the begining part of a persons name. There seems to be a glitch in how this works. Let me try to give you an example. I have contacts named Jeremey, Jerry and Scooter. When I press the buttons jk6, er1, er1, both Jeremy and Jerry come up down below while 611 shows up above. If I scroll down through their information then back up to the upper portion, their names go away. I then press the red phone key and start over. Again 611 shows up above and Jeremey and Jerry show down below, but I can scroll up and down all I want and their names will stay. I can do this over and over and their names will stay as long as I keep pressing the same keys. Now, when I press the buttons as?, cv7, op., Aco shows up above and Scooter shows down below. I scroll through Scooter's info then back up and Scooter goes away. I type the partial name again and Scooter will stay no matter where I scroll. I then press the buttons jk6, er1, er1 and the whole process starts over. Why does the name go away after the first time but stays each subsequent time?

Lewis no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    207BBC6D

Re: Finding names from the Home screen

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Roscoe:

I see that you're with T Mobile, and therefore will assume that you are still running the original T Mobile BB Pearl OS.

I have a Pearl with Rogers, and the Rogers OS, and I cannot replicate this issue as you describe it on my device.

I would then think that this is not common to all Pearls and is likely related to your OS build.

If another T Mobile Pearl user comes along, perhaps that Stacker could verify.

I couldn't answer your question, but did verify that it's not all Pearls.

Hope this helps!

Thirstee no está en línea Stack level 2

I have the .64 O2 OS. I did as he said and the only change i noticed was it went from the screen with all the numbers to just the name and only showed the numbers if it was the hilited name. Is that similar?

sepudo no está en línea Stack level 1

it may be a glitch and it may be very intelligent.
    If you scroll past the contact and up again, the pearl might 'think' you didnt mean to use that contact. but with the subsequent times it may 'think' you did mean to use that contact and therefore keeps it up as an option.

maybe a similar technology to smarttype. you type a word like 'hey' and it shows 'get' you then choose hey and for subsequent times you type 'hey' you will get 'hey' ...it learns your preferences i guess (=

i find it very helpful and user friendly.

ROSCOE no está en línea Stack level 1

[quote=sepudobut with the subsequent times it may 'think' you did mean to use that contact and therefore keeps it up as an option.[/quote]
    I see your point, but if it was "learning" why would it reset after entering a different name? I would like to know what the logic is behind the feature so that I could fully utilize it.
    One other odd thing. After I posted this issue, I was messing with the Pearl trying to figure out the logic. During one of the times, and only the one time, the "611" showed in the upper portion, Jeremey and Jerry showed in the bottom portion, but a new middle portion appeared with the text "Search for Jer". I have never seen a middle section before or since.