looking for some help mapping a contact's birthday into their entry in my address book. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

wrgaskam no está en línea Stack level 1

Field Mapping Birthdays?

Advertisement

looking for some help mapping a contact's birthday into their entry in my address book. yes, they are already on my calendar, but it shouldn't be that hard to get it into their entry either. whenever i try it tells me "Handheld field "User Defined 1" cannot be mapped to Microsoft Outlook field "Birthday". does it have to do with formatting? i have 200 contacts with birthdays for each, and i really dont' want to go back thru and put them all in notes. can anyone help?

how to get to field mapping in the desktop manager:

from synchronize -> configuration tab -> configure synch button -> address book highlighted and clickin on 'configure' button in lower right -> advanced settings -> field mapping button in bottom right of 'confirmation' tab

now it should be as easy as to grab the 'birthday' tab on the right and move it up to a field that i'm not using at all 'user defined 1', but i get the above error - any suggestions?

thanks!

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Field Mapping Birthdays?

I have never tried this before..... anyone else?
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

I have gone through this process before, and like you I was baffled that there wasn't a spot like that in the address book. (I like to have the skinny on everyone)
    My solution wasn't pretty, and may not be the best, but I did it, and here's how:

In the "Notes section" I have copied and pasted the birthdays for my contacts.
    By field mapping notes, to notes, the birthdays show up right under "categories" in the handheld address book.

Bear in mind that I'm using 4.1, and have not had the luxury of 4.2 yet so my address book may be arranged a little differently than yours.

If anyone else has an easier way to map birthdays from outlook to the handheld address book, you have my undivided attention.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

wrgaskam no está en línea Stack level 1

@ mistadobolin - that was going to be my backup, and i think 'baffled' is the right word - i mean, come on guys it's just another field!

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

I thought they might have improved this with 4.2, but I guess you're proof that they havn't. How well does outlook do with contact photo's?
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

perpetualjon no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by jerrycrabb
    I thought they might have improved this with 4.2, but I guess you're proof that they havn't. How well does outlook do with contact photo's?
    Well that feature seems to work fine with me. I'm running Outlook2003 and the image transferes without a problem from the phone to the desktop via the Desktop Manager sync function. The pics show up when you open a contact right beside their email address I think. I do wish I could transfer their birthday and anniversary data though. Too bad...