When I use my blackberry to post in a form field on a website(such as ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lilirose no está en línea Stack level 1

"Field Full' error

Advertisement

When I use my blackberry to post in a form field on a website(such as the one I'm currently using to post this question), I am only able to enter a certain number of characters before I get a message saying "field full".

I know that this is a problem with the phone rather than with the website because it happens on sites (like BlogSpot, for example), where I know there is no character limit to the field where I'm entering text.

Is this a normal issue with the 8100 or is it a limitation imposed by my carri

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: "Field Full' error

Quote Originally Posted by lilirose View Post
    When I use my blackberry to post in a form field on a website(such as the one I'm currently using to post this question), I am only able to enter a certain number of characters before I get a message saying "field full".

I know that this is a problem with the phone rather than with the website because it happens on sites (like BlogSpot, for example), where I know there is no character limit to the field where I'm entering text.

Is this a normal issue with the 8100 or is it a limitation imposed by my carri
    There is a limit on how much data can be transported in each "packet" transfer. As far as what it is i am not sure. i Know with pictures there is a 299KB limit. Hope it helps

The above post was cut off because of the exact issue I'm posting about.

Anyway, is this normal for the 8100 or is it a limitation imposed by my carrier (O2 Ireland)? Is there a workaround other than posting multiple posts?

I'm getting very frustrated over this!

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

are you using quick reply or post reply? i am curious...

Quote Originally Posted by guyheavensent View Post
    are you using quick reply or post reply? i am curious...
    This problem is NOT limited to the pinstack website by any means. It happens on every website I visit.

When I posted the top post in this thread (using my BlackBerry), I used the "new post" button. When I replied the first time, I used the "quick reply", because if I'd quoted my original post or tried to quote Eddie_gauge, I would have hit the character limit before I could have posted anything new.

NowI'm at my PC and not posting from my BlackBerry, I'm able to check my first post and see that I can type approximately 500 characters in a field before I get "field full".

This is really p*ssing me off- am I really the only one on the planet having this problem?

Sorry tp bump, but honestly, doesn't anyone know what's going on here? I'm still having the problem, and I still don't know how to fix it.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

What browser are you using when you have this problem posting. I have never seen this problem with posting to websites from any BlackBerry when using the Internet or Wap Browsers.

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr View Post
    What browser are you using when you have this problem posting. I have never seen this problem with posting to websites from any BlackBerry when using the Internet or Wap Browsers.
    I am using the default BlackBerry browser that came with the phone. It has apparently been altered by my carrier (O2 Ireland) in certain ways, as it shows an O2 logo on loading rather than the BlackBerry logo.

I would love to use Opera or some other browser, but all carriers in Ireland who provide BlackBerries have limited data plans which require you to use their default browser. If I access the web using another browser (such as Opera), I am charged per kilobyte for data transfer. I'm also charged for using other third party apps that access the Net, like JiveTalk and gMail, for example.

Naturally this is infuriating, but I'm stuck with it as long as I live in this country. The problem was even worse with my previous provider, Vodafone IE, who not only required me to use their browser, but also blocked all but a handful of "approved" sites.

Anyway, my point is that this is obviously a setting somewhere that can be changed, if someone could just tell me how to change it.
    Last edited by lilirose; 11-20-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: fixed typos

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I assume you have a Blackberry Data plan. I don't know anything about your providers data plans, but from what I read into it they appear to be trying to prevent excessive data charges due to using data intensive network applications if you are on a limited data plan.

Sorry,

Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer

Rcbjr, thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

I should clarify- I am not using a bargain-rate data plan. My carrier specifically refers to it as "unlimited". I called it "limited" in my previous post because I have discovered the hard way that I can't use Opera or other web apps without incurring extra charges.

It sounds like I'm going to have to call my carrier's tech support to find out WTF this is about, and I'd prefer to know what I'm talking about before I do so. How does entering more than 500 characters of text into a form field constitute "excessive data" or "data intensive" when I'm allowed to use my BB to send e-mails of any length I desire? Or is this the question I need to ask of tech support at O2?

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. As a PC tech I'm finding it hard to get used to the BlackBerry and the fact that you can't make it do what you want by tweaking settings.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Just out of curiousity, have you tried a low level wipe of the device with a reinstall of another carrier's OS to see if the problem transfers over with it? If it is a carrier issue that is programmed in the phone then a low level wipe and reinstall should solve the issue. If it is on their server, there may be nothing you can do.

Zo

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

When you call your Cellular Providers help desk, ask to be transfered to the Data Device Support desk or the Blackberry Support desk. Then ask the to check your account to make sure you have the Blackberry Internet Service properly provisioned on your Blackberry. Tell them you understand that, in addition to the O2 Wap Browser Service book, you should have Blackberry Internet browsing service Book but don't get it when your service books are sent. We have seen this problem at times with the UK service providers, so it might be the same in Ireland.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer