Hi all, Finally taken the plunge and moved from my boring old samsung to a ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jez_miles no está en línea Stack level 1

Few Questions from a new convert!

Advertisement

Hi all,

Finally taken the plunge and moved from my boring old samsung to a shiny new Pearl. Wow! What a piece of kit.

A few things I wanted advice on though;

1) As I am using this as outside of business I don't need the Enterprise Activation icon. I can hide it on the home screen but it's still actually there, just greyed out. Can I get rid of it completely?

2) My friend has an 8700 and by turning off dialing from the home screen, he can use one key shortcuts to open applications, etc from the home screen. For example if he presses 'k' on the homescreen it automatically locks the phone or if he presses 'm' it opens messages. A little thing but a nice function. Can't seem to find the option on the Pearl

3) I've imported my SIM contacts, but to actually use them in the phone I have to go via the address book and then open SIM contacts. It seems the only way to use the SIM no's is to copy them into the address book, but then I will have to edit everything as the names and numbers are in the wrong fields. Is there anyway of having the phone default to using the sim contacts rather than wanting to use the address book? This is probably a typical new user question and maybe I just need to embrace proper use of the address book.

Apologies if the above have been asked before, I have been searching the forum but not had a lot of luck. Any hep greatly appreciated.

Jez

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Re: Few Questions from a new convert!

HEYY Jaz Miles, Welcome to PinStack

U have made an awesome choice with the pearl

I'll try to help as much as I can, someone will get here soon to help you out even more.

1. What theme u using? if "TMO Zen" then do this
    Hit the menu btn
    Go all the way down to "Organize Appl."
    Then highlight the appl. u want to hide
    Hit the menu btn again and select "Hide Appl."

If your using some like "BB Dimention Icon" theme
    Highlight the appl.
    Hit the menu btn
    Select "Hide Appl."

2. Check out this forum http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...rl_8100_a.html

3. On your main menu you should have an appl some like "Setup Wizard" Try going to that setup wizard it will also then upload your entire address book on your precious phone. As far as editing names and field, I dont think u will need to do that. If u want to use contacts from your SIM i think u will have to choose the option menually everytime u try to find a contact.

Hope this helps

Again, Welcome

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

jez_miles, Welcome to PinStack.

1. Make sure you also have Show All unchecked in the Home Screen Menu.

2. Haven't found any way to turn off dial from home screen on the Pearl.

3. The SIM address book is generally considered as useful only for transfering between a Non BB phone and the BB. Get use to the Address book, it is much better and closely mimics Outlook.

Hope this helps
    Rcbjr.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Welcome to the Stacks Jez. I think Peter and Rcbjr have got you pretty well covered. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Thanks for the advice guys......now have few more questions after a few days playing with it......

My service provider is o2 and I've set up my btinternet email account through the web based application and it works fine, however I now have 2 messages icons, one with Messages as the heading and another with my email address. Messages go in to both message boxes. Can anyone explain why this has happened and how I can get rid of one of them.

Is it possible to give the device a name, like I used to do with my mobile. I use a Parrot hands free kit and it displays the phones name. Now it just says Blackberry 8100, which is fine but I would like to change it if poss.

Thanks again in advance

Jez

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

I'll let someone else help you out with the emails...

About the device name do this:
    Go to Options/Bluetooth/Menu/Options
    Change the device name there

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Thanks again guys. What I'm understanding here is I can just hide one of the message inboxes and that will do it!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Well, in my opinion, you need to hide the one with your email address and not the other as that will have all your messages, not just the email.

Hope this Helps
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles