I have asked these in the Howard Forums, but I never got a complete answer ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

UKFan643 no está en línea Stack level 2

Few Questions

Advertisement

I have asked these in the Howard Forums, but I never got a complete answer so I thought I would ask here, as I just found this site. First of all, this place is great. Tons of information to help me along.

Just to let everyone know, I'm using a Verizon BB 8130.

My first question regards text messaging. I know my Pearl will not allow EMS, which is messages longer than 160 characters. I understand that. However, every phone I have ever owned, including the Q, the enV, the V, and a few flip phones, have all allowed me to type as long as I want, without a problem. Then, when I sent the message, it would cut them off at 160 characters and send the one long message into several messages. That way, if I had a message that was 400 characters long, it would send out three messages. I have found on my Pearl that once I hit the 160 character limit in the text field, I get a message saying that the field is full, and it won't allow me to type any further. There has to be a way around this.

Secondly, I'm wondering about Gmail and IMAP. I use a Mac, and use Apple Mail. When I get a mail message on my Mac, I can read it in my Apple Mail client, and it will show up as being read in the Gmail web interface. However, the same does not work on my Phone. When I read an e-mail on my phone, it does not show up as read on my Apple Mail client. Also, when I get a message on my phone, if I read it through Gmail's web interface, it will not show up as being read on my phone. What I think is happening is that the BIS does not interface with Gmail through IMAP. Otherwise, I don't see how what I do on my phone is not registered in either the apple mail client or the gmail web interface. Anyone know how this can be fixed?

Thanks a lot for the help.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Few Questions

1. I don't think there is a work around for this sorry. Unless some one else knows of one.

2. Gmail and IMAP are in the early stages. It should reconcile, but it is quiet slow. I had setup one of my gmail accounts via IMAP and it took a snails pace to even receive my emails. POP was much faster. Although you don't get the reconcile options. IMO Gmail and IMAP right now isn't worth it. BIS won't reconcile very well. Until it gets up to the point Yahoo has achieve. If Gmail isn't reconciling now with IMAP enabled I'm not sure what to tell you.

UKFan643 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    1. I don't think there is a work around for this sorry. Unless some one else knows of one.

2. Gmail and IMAP are in the early stages. It should reconcile, but it is quiet slow. I had setup one of my gmail accounts via IMAP and it took a snails pace to even receive my emails. POP was much faster. Although you don't get the reconcile options. IMO Gmail and IMAP right now isn't worth it. BIS won't reconcile very well. Until it gets up to the point Yahoo has achieve. If Gmail isn't reconciling now with IMAP enabled I'm not sure what to tell you.

Thanks for the reply. I am able to receive my gmail instantly with IMAP settings turned on. As a matter of fact, when I send test messages, they arrive on my phone before they arrive in apple mail. However, it is just not being able to reconcile that is annoying me. But oh well, I guess I can deal with it.

amanderbander no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2452AA5C

weird.. i have tmo..a bb 8100, and i can only type 160 charters in a text but i have 6 "pages" that i can do. so every time i go over the 160 limit, the counter starts over, and on the top it'll say 160/ 2 of 6. and then 3/6 etc. (it starts out as say 160/ 1 of 6)

amanderbander no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2452AA5C

actually i'm sorry, my bad. you said EMS, thats for the SMS. i'm sorry.