I keep getting this error when trying to connect to WiFi. "Failed to Obtain IP ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

redss no está en línea Stack level 1

Failed to Obtain IP Address

Advertisement

I keep getting this error when trying to connect to WiFi.

"Failed to Obtain IP Address"

How can I fix?

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    You have dhcp setup on your WAP/Router? (have you verified that DHCP is working with a PC/Laptop?)

Yes, DHCP is working with a laptop. Router is Linksys WRT54GC.

Under OPTIONS - STATUS I do see an IP address 192.168.1.101, there is a WLAN MAC address, although the last digit of this address is not readable....

I cannot ping this address from inside the WLAN, "connection timed out."

Under "available WIFI networks" it says "CONNECTED." to the name of my router.

But I am not able to use the web browser. I keep getting the message "Unable to find the requested server."
    Last edited by redss; 09-13-2008 at 04:37 PM.

??? The IP address you see on the status screen should be the one that your device has on the carrier side. (wierd). We'll ignore that for the moment.
    If you go into Wifi Options, hit the menu, Wifi Tools, Wifi Diagnostics, it'll give you specific info about your wifi connection.
    You should see a local IP address, gateway address, DNS (if one of those is blank, that's a problem).

I changed settings on the router and removed encryption. Now it is not connecting at all. No local IP address, gateway address, DNS -- nothing. It still fails to get an IP address.

I try to reconnect and get the same error message. If I look under WIFI DIAGNOSTICS I see the same IP address, but Gateway and DNS info is incorrect. Can I change manually?
    Last edited by redss; 09-13-2008 at 06:12 PM.

If you change your security settings on your wap, you need to remove the network entry on your device and re-discover the network (putting in whatever WEP / PSK keys you use).
    Set it to the security you want to use - verify you have a working wifi network with your laptop (again, using DHCP - don't pre-populate DNS or anything on the laptop - if the browsing works, then it'll work on your device).
    Also, when you're punching in your key - make sure you toggle it to hex (believe by default it falls to decimal).

My Blackberry is giving me no joy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    If you change your security settings on your wap, you need to remove the network entry on your device and re-discover the network (putting in whatever WEP / PSK keys you use).
    By remove network entry I assume you mean MANAGE CONNECTIONS > WIFI OFF and then ON again.

Then I scan for available WLAN, select the network and enter PSK key.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridicule View Post
    Set it to the security you want to use - verify you have a working wifi network with your laptop (again, using DHCP - don't pre-populate DNS or anything on the laptop - if the browsing works, then it'll work on your device).
    Also, when you're punching in your key - make sure you toggle it to hex (believe by default it falls to decimal).
    Not sure what you mean by toggle to hex, because I can see the password I'm typing and it appears on the screen correctly....

Grrrrr.

Heh...well, you should have just done what I told you to do and not changed your security on your WAP
    No, I'm assuming that you've already added an entry for your home network. That entry will have your SSID in it (and your device will try to use those settings for your home network). I figured it would probably be easier to auto-discover the network again rather than going in and editing all of the settings.
    Options, Wifi Connections. All of your wifi connections should be listed there. If you delete your existing home one and re-discover it, you should just be able to fill in the new key.
    (when you're putting in the key, look to see if there's a toggle stating hexadecimal or decimal).

Not sure what I did, but it worked. WIFI is working.

Thanks for your help!

deaglecrazy no está en línea Stack level 1

eeep

well how the hell did u fix it? im getting that same annoying error lol ><

andyandy no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by deaglecrazy View Post
    well how the hell did u fix it? im getting that same annoying error lol ><
    I was having exactly the same issues - as soon as I upgraded the o/s it connected fine.

It was definately something to do with the security settings/type of encryption on my router as if I turned it all off it connected fine. (yes I had entered key correctly!).