Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sanjeevjoshi - could you help me since I have the same exact problem. Unlocked tmobile ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

andygray no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: FIXED - NULLPOINTER EXCEPTION

Advertisement

Sanjeevjoshi - could you help me since I have the same exact problem. Unlocked tmobile to cingular and get that error message periodically. I can find the net_rim_tmo_five (NO Suffix) property under core applications but how do you delete it on the cell? I am a MAC user and was sent the books by Cingular when I registered my emails on line.

You can email me at agray@boslandgray.com. THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjeevjoshi
    Situation: Factory Install, TMobile, got it unlocked, and started using Cingular SIM card. Enterprise IT Policy pushed to device when synced up with desktop

Problem: Every time device was woken up from standby or powerdown, it would throw a nullpointer exception, logs showed multiple applications somewhat randomly it seemed

Approaches tried: Deleting themes, wiping handheld, using app loader to reinstall OS, apps, and data, etc. Then considered deleting one of the modules in the core SW. Decided to try something that is TMO specific, since problem started only when I switched to Cingular SIM. I am not a technical person, have never worked with java, but thats the logic I used.

WHAT WORKED AS A FIX:

- Delete the module net_rim_tmo_five.cod from the core SW (sits in folder in the shared\loader files \8100xxx\java)

A couple of background errors happen as evident in the log, but you get no prompts, and performance is not impacted.

AMAZING! Now we only have to wait for Cingular to release the next OS / app rev in the next 2 /3 months.

traveler23 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Experts: "Uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointer Exception"

I had this error once when starting up my Pearl as well. Fortunately I happened to be on the phone with a RIM tech at the time. You know what he told me??? NOTHING. Seriously- he basically blew it off and told me not to worry about it. Not helpful.

AnewBerryMan no está en línea Stack level 2

hmm..i just recently got this problem. I was deleted some apps on another thread. trying to delete files that came with the phone and some apps like blackberry map and messenger and it prompt me to restart but I said no, so I turn off the phone and I recieved the same message and I restarted, same message did it the third time, it never poped up no more.

samluthra no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2501BE9B

Hi This is the best fix .. I removed the password
    and ll is back to normal... Thanks a lot

Pardon my implication - I was referring to OS rather generically - including the core apps. I did leave out a core module called net_rim_tmo_five.cod in the last swipe / reinstall (figuring this is not core RIM, but something added for TMo, and that seems to have at least reduced the occurrence... and following my hunch and waiting to unlock the keyboard (password protection), I have virtually reduced the occurrence to nil. Has not happened in over a dozen power cycles.

The hunch I have is very simple. In my case I have password protection turned on by enterprise security - not sure if all others who have this problem do.

I think while the phone is waking up from standby or powerdown, if I "interrupt" its waking up processes by unlocking (ie.. typing the password and hitting enter), it throws a Java error. Does not matter which app generates this - can be the phone app, the backlight app, the browser app, the theme app, etc. The log shows Java errors thrown at random by all these apps.

I am not technical enough to understand the mechanics well, but this simple workaround seems to work for me so far, although its too early to tell if this is really a fix.

Most likely a software bug that needs to be fixed in the next release. I am surprised the phone made it to production with such an error.

vidals no está en línea Stack level 2

Also, another quick question - do you have a password enabled?

After a day of all kinds of testing, I think I have a hunch (not a technical answer) why this might be occurring - let me know your carrier, whether you installed any other app or theme, and whether you have password enabled on your 8100.

Thanks,
    Interesting. After reading the above quote, I decided to disable the password protection. I did a battery-pull and Voila! - any my 8100 pearl did NOT throw an "error net_rim_bb_phone_app(42) is not responding". I then put the password back on and did a battery-pull again and the error returned.

Important lesson learned, before installing any 3rd party app, it is best to do a full back up. In my case, the app was multiplay. Putting this app on and then removing it, etc. caused my phone to function improperly :-( It's time to do a restore to my latest good backup.

vidals no está en línea Stack level 2

I also recommend that tmobile customers use the blackberry OS provided by blackberry.net and NOT the one that tmobile provides. The tmo version has a bug with the my faves. Instead of using myfaves circular icons (which are pretty cool looking) just use the speed dial option. In any case, the myfaves COD file provided for tmo customers isn't functioning properly and removing it will eliminate lots of headaches until they get it right.

bb7290user no está en línea Stack level 1

After speaking to technical people for a week as I constantly had this pop up on my 7290, reinstalling software numerous times they sent me a new blackberry. Once I restored my information the same problem happened on the new blackberry. Never one to give up I finally found the problem. Every 30 minutes the screen was to go on standby mode and display a downloaded picture. Problem was that picture was no longer there. So I reset my standby screen and voila - problem resolved.

jillllee no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    300A2077

same problem on my 7250 can only use it once and it occurs when i power up again. I have removed battery deleted themes but no luck.I am a newbie sooooo keep it simple please.
    Jill

tainment no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Clean Re-install?

How does one do a handheld wipe? ie..erase and restore the OS, programs, user settings, and content on the 8100? Is this hard to do? I already have Desktop 4.2 and OS 4.2 program installed on the desktop.
    So, how do you this, a clean install?

JDWired no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3156B31E

To clean install and wipe it, go to Options > Security Options > Hit the trackwheel and highlight and push the trackwheel on Wipe Handheld. It will take some time to erase everything. Also be sure to erase data information or application and data if you want, through your desktop manager when you plug your USB from your BB to your computer, and go through the App Loader > Options and check the ones you want to use to earase additional information.

For the 7100i Nextel OS 4.1 (could be also an affect to other carriers and devices), I FINALLY found out what is wrong with it when it comes to the Uncaught Exception: java.lang.illegalstateException - When you enable the password, and you reboot and/or a (battery pull) it will make you type your password in, well when you do this error pops up.

I have tested it twice by disabling the password, shutting down, pulling the battery and booting back up it will not show or display the error anymore.
    Last edited by JDWired; 07-14-2007 at 02:11 AM.
    Search Flex - Directory of SEO Services

cdhc no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb Re: Experts: "Uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointer Exception"

Had this happen after trying to load 3rd party app's (lesson learned as this is the third time I've put bugs on my 7250 in the three weeks since I grabbed it from craigslist).

When frozen, left-shift + click will clear the "ok" warning message/box (for me).

Isolating the error in the error log, as suggested, was the easiest/fastest solution (for me).

I uninstalled said app's -- they wouldn't load nonetheless.

(Reboots, hard or soft, did squat).

Did the ALT+JLJL thing (is that what it was?)

Scrolled through error messages, clicked "View" on the ones in question.

Skimmed through the jibberish it produced for long enough to realize it kept mentioning the "standby screen" (or some such).

Went into pics, reset my standby pic and reassigned it.

(And then realized the error message was coming up when it was trying to go into standby mode and show my pretty screensaver pic).

Re-synced and everything's cool... so far...

My adivce, follow the two points made earlier: loading 3rd party app's will more than likely screw up your unit 70% of the time; isolate the error in the error log before wiping and uninstalling everything.

Fingers crossed...

I'm already hooked on the Great Canadian Contraption...

piggy2506 no está en línea Stack level 1
    "Uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointer Exception"
    i got the same prob.. how to solve it..?? please tell me.. im so desperatedd!! =( Thanx alot..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123