I'm sure this is a simple question, and I apologize for not being able to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lyron no está en línea Stack level 1

Entering input in desktop software?

Advertisement

I'm sure this is a simple question, and I apologize for not being able to answer it myself -

Two days ago I got my 8100 - I've had smartphones for 4 years (Kyocera 6035, then 7135, then Treo 650), but this is my first that isn't Palm-based. I just want to know how to manually enter data (contacts, memos, etc.) via the desktop; I did a search on the forum, with no luck - I daresay it's here, but I wasn't searching very well -

What I'm trying to do would be similar to opening the Hotsync manager, entering addresses and memos and calendar entries, then sync'ing with "Desktop overwrites Device" - can someone point me as to where to find this?

Thanks in advance for your help -

BS

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

Re: Entering input in desktop software?

Welcome to pinstack. The way to do this would be to enter the information into Outlook, or similar program, and then sync the info to your BB.

lyron no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by cp6169
    Welcome to pinstack. The way to do this would be to enter the information into Outlook, or similar program, and then sync the info to your BB.
    Great, good enough - 3 quick questions:

1) I have never used Outlook, except on rare occasions, but I'm sure this is easy enough to adapt to - I always used Netscape Mail, which was similar. But are there provisions in Outlook for entering memos, which would be incorporated into the BB's MemoPad?

2) Is there a way, similar to Palm Desktop, where I would take a precaution that desktop overwrote device, or vice-versa, depending on what one wants to do, or will syncing never overwrite any entries?

3) I see you can move applications within a given screen, but can you move them from, e.g., out of Applications into the main screen?

Thanks again, I'll hold off on posting any more until I've played with the device for another week or so if I do have questions, they're a little more intelligent -

BS

confidant no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23EAAD8E

1) Yup, there are memo's and tasks in Outlook that sync with your BB's memopad and task manager effortlessly. As for email, there really is nothing to sync because your BB is connected to the internet all the time to receive email anyways. I personally use Outlook to type in all my appointments, memos and tasks if I'm at my desk.

2) As for that matter, it is all under the synchronize -> configuration tab once you're connected I believe. You can also set the settings in your phone through any program options on your phone. If you need further guidance on this issue let us know =)

3) The main screen's contents depends on which theme you're using. Say you're using the provider default theme or Dimension Icon theme, your menu screen is in a sense your main screen. As for Dimensions Today theme the icons are set and you cannot change them (as far as I know). But say the Dimensions Today PLUS theme, your main screen will display the first 4 or 5 applications on your menu screen. So the answer is, yes and no, you can or cannot move applications out of the menu screen depending on which theme you're utilizing.

Honestly, this piece of marvel is fun to play with. As tech savvy as I thought I was, I'm still trying to figure things out, slowly but surely =)

- Sean

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

lyron, Welcome to PinStack.

Your questions have been pretty well answered. I would just add that for #2. you can make your setting for each function that is being sync'ed to your BB prompt when there is a conflict,meaning that a specific entry was edited on both the Desktop PIM and your BB. This way you can chooze which one to keep. Otherwise, if it is set to sync, instead of import or export, apply the the changes made in one place to those made in the other.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles