is there anyway i can turn off emergency calls so when it is in my ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

dj56 no está en línea Stack level 2

Emergency Calls

Advertisement

is there anyway i can turn off emergency calls so when it is in my pocket i dont accidentially hit it??? Thanks

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Emergency Calls

Sorry dj nope there isn't a way to get rid of that.

But you can use the standby mode...hold down the mute button on the top of the device. Then it puts the device to sleep, but it still receives calls and messages.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Yep or just buy a magnetic case and any time you put it in the holster the phone goes to sleep too.

JeremyMoon no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    241cc80

I'm kinda ticked about this too, and I don't want to put the phone to sleep or use a holster. I'm a 911 dispatcher and every time some idiot forgets to lock their phone, gives it to their kid to play with, or some programmer didn't understand that buttons get pressed in pockets, I get to sit on the line trying to figure if a woman is being beaten by her husband or if someone is really injured or needs a response of any kind. Then I have to spend more time calling you back to make sure nothing actually happened! I'm generally pretty busy; sometimes there are real emergencies coming in, sometimes I'm working a radio and have police or fire traffic coming in at the same time...

PSA!!!! If you do accidentally call 911, please stay on the line and answer my questions and then I can save a minute or two and you can be on your way with no additional fuss. I'm not looking to get you in trouble and I don't mind that an accident happened and I was called, I just want to make sure there is not an emergency. DO NOT HANG UP!!! Every time someone dials 911 and the call even begins to go out over the air, it will come through to us, so please save us the time we spend calling back.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyMoon
    I'm kinda ticked about this too, and I don't want to put the phone to sleep or use a holster. I'm a 911 dispatcher and every time some idiot forgets to lock their phone, gives it to their kid to play with, or some programmer didn't understand that buttons get pressed in pockets, I get to sit on the line trying to figure if a woman is being beaten by her husband or if someone is really injured or needs a response of any kind. Then I have to spend more time calling you back to make sure nothing actually happened! I'm generally pretty busy; sometimes there are real emergencies coming in, sometimes I'm working a radio and have police or fire traffic coming in at the same time...

PSA!!!! If you do accidentally call 911, please stay on the line and answer my questions and then I can save a minute or two and you can be on your way with no additional fuss. I'm not looking to get you in trouble and I don't mind that an accident happened and I was called, I just want to make sure there is not an emergency. DO NOT HANG UP!!! Every time someone dials 911 and the call even begins to go out over the air, it will come through to us, so please save us the time we spend calling back.
    Sorry for your frustrations Jeremy, but the best way to not have the Blackberry call 911 is to put it into standby mode aka sleep. The Keypad Lock will still give you the option to make an emergency call if pressed correctly. IT will still happen in keypad lock.

So the best way for this NOT to happen is to use the Standby Mode or use a Holster/Case with a sleep magnet.

Thanks for the advice when it does happen though. I never knew that we should stay on the line.
    Hopefully I will not have to use your advice in the near future.

p.s Welcome to the Stacks

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

IMHO BB's don't belong in pockets and that will never happen

PIN/ID
    241cc80

I hope I didn't come off as too frustrated or a jerk! I appreciate the wonderful advice on this site and everyones involvement, its made my new BB more fun and useful.

Guy, why don't you think BB's belong in pocket? Seems like a logical place to me besides the emergent call feature.

guyheavensent no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    717cff09

sorry I am biased since I tend to have it holstered during work hours because of my frequent usuage. To each their own.

back on topic, the emergency calls while locked is a hassle, but if you had an accident and someone had to use your phone you would be SOL because they can't call for help. Lose-Lose situation

maybe they need to add a feature like dial 911 then do this 3 key combo at the same time to send the call on. /shrug, what do I know.

PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyMoon
    I hope I didn't come off as too frustrated or a jerk! I appreciate the wonderful advice on this site and everyones involvement, its made my new BB more fun and useful.

Guy, why don't you think BB's belong in pocket? Seems like a logical place to me besides the emergent call feature.
    Jeremy, no you didn't come off as a jerk...any and all advice is welcome.

gkg3059 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    204bd5f7

Thanks Jeremy, we love learning about our berries, as well as other things. I have never had an issue with emergency call.
    I think its great that we have that option even when the phone is locked. You may never know when you are going to need it.
    ~posted via opera mini~

PIN/ID
    241cc80

I totally agree that it is both nice and necessary to have an emergency call option when the phone is locked. I never want someone to be in a situation where they need emergency help and cannot get it! It's simply a matter of making it easy to use while preventing inadvertant calls from pockets etc... I tested the emergency call at work and it only take two presses on the pearl to initiate a 911 call; I wish it required actually dialling 911 or something slightly more complex. Every step you add to the process decreases the probability of making an accidental call.