I want to use my Pearl like a Treo, and not use the ripoff proprietary ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Brandorr no está en línea Stack level 1

Email (and other) applications that work with T-Mobile "Total Internet"

Advertisement

I want to use my Pearl like a Treo, and not use the ripoff proprietary Blackberry service. (For the same price I get hotspot access and GPRS).

I have the standard GPRS and the only internet application I can get working is Opera Mini. Even the Google apps seem to require a proprietary, ripoff Blackberry data service. Is there a list of apps somewhere that work with plain old GPRS/EDGE?

Applications that I want are internet radio, RSS (podcatcher), games, etc.

Thanks!

VZDubtk no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Email (and other) applications that work with T-Mobile "Total Internet"

hate to tell blackberry internet service is not a ripoff but something more secure than ur carriers internet service
    I Unlock All Mobile Devices, questions just ask

beamolite no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23F73F86

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~How exactly is the BlackBerry plan a ripoff? You get unlimited data for 20 bucks a month.The blackberry plan is what makes owning one so great. Sounds like you should have bought a Treo instead. After all this is a BlackBerry forum.

Quote Originally Posted by beamolite View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~How exactly is the BlackBerry plan a ripoff? You get unlimited data for 20 bucks a month.The blackberry plan is what makes owning one so great. Sounds like you should have bought a Treo instead. After all this is a BlackBerry forum.
    Yeah pretty much gotta agree with the above post on this one

elacogdhs no está en línea Stack level 2

I guess I can see why you might think its expensive. But a ripoff? For all you get at 20 bucks a month its surely not a ripoff. I couldn't live without it.

Quote Originally Posted by elacogdhs View Post
    I guess I can see why you might think its expensive. But a ripoff? For all you get at 20 bucks a month its surely not a ripoff. I couldn't live without it.
    BlackBerry branded GPRS/EDGE + Hotspot cost = $50
    T-Mobile branded GPRS/EDGE + Hotspot costs = $19

Considering how much more I get for my money, just ripoff. (And T-Mobile has the cheapest plans in the US).

Are you saying that I am screwed? That I need the ripoff plan? If so I should go to a Google ANdroid when it comes out. (It's either that or WinMobile/PalmOS in the meantime).

I really was trying to give the Pearl a chance.

My smartphone wishlist, that will never happen: brandorr.backpackit.com/pub/1145606
    Last edited by Brandorr; 12-20-2007 at 02:32 AM.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Sorry man, I don't think you will get much sympathy from anyone on this forum since the majority of us are paying for this "ripoff" plan that you speak so highly of.

Maybe a blackberry isn't the device for you? You'll have to fork over some money or get a different device. There is a reason why they have "regular data plans" and "blackberry data plans".

Still not understanding why you think it's a "ripoff". For all my services I pay less then $70 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    Sorry man, I don't think you will get much sympathy from anyone on this forum since the majority of us are paying for this "ripoff" plan that you speak so highly of.

Maybe a blackberry isn't the device for you? You'll have to fork over some money or get a different device. There is a reason why they have "regular data plans" and "blackberry data plans".

Still not understanding why you think it's a "ripoff". For all my services I pay less then $70 a month.
    To each his own, regarding pricing. For me I don't need or want to be accessing BB servers or datacenters. Being forced to pay for that priviledge to use the phone as a data phone seemed a ripoff to me. It seems that Research in Motion has rethought their policy and unlocked the data abilities in the newer firmware. (I just did the latest firmware update on my Blackberry and it new works much better. I can install the "Google Mobile Updater", which works without the Blackberry data plan.)

So Web works, Gmail works, Opera Mini works, Google Maps (with location finder) works, Google docs, an best of all, Google sync, which let's me sync the calendar to my Google calendar. These are the kinds of things I was looking forv. I am playing with my Pearl (which has been sitting on the shelf), because I suspect that Android apps will be based on Google's Blackberry apps.

P.S. - I am very happy "Google Sync" works with the calendar. Now I need contacts sync and I will be set.

thagame911 no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    To each his own, regarding pricing. For me I don't need or want to be accessing BB servers or datacenters. Being forced to pay for that priviledge to use the phone as a data phone seemed a ripoff to me. It seems that Research in Motion has rethought their policy and unlocked the data abilities in the newer firmware. (I just did the latest firmware update on my Blackberry and it new works much better. I can install the "Google Mobile Updater", which works without the Blackberry data plan.)

So Web works, Gmail works, Opera Mini works, Google Maps (with location finder) works, Google docs, an best of all, Google sync, which let's me sync the calendar to my Google calendar. These are the kinds of things I was looking forv. I am playing with my Pearl (which has been sitting on the shelf), because I suspect that Android apps will be based on Google's Blackberry apps.

P.S. - I am very happy "Google Sync" works with the calendar. Now I need contacts sync and I will be set.

If I read this correctly your telling me that you are surfing the web without the data plan ?

cliffr39 no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID
    317ASKME

Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    BlackBerry branded GPRS/EDGE + Hotspot cost = $50
    T-Mobile branded GPRS/EDGE + Hotspot costs = $19

Considering how much more I get for my money, just ripoff. (And T-Mobile has the cheapest plans in the US).
    enough with the "ripoff" You are with T-mobile, the cheapest carrier in the World. Everyone else is paying $30 or more (some paying $80 and still not unlimited). You should have been informed when you went to purchase the Pearl that it requires the BlackBerry data service. If not your issue is with your sales person, not with BlackBerry. That device was designed solely for THEIR service.

But now you have to watch your bill to make sure T-mobile doesn't charge you for using their data services because that is not the correct plan for your device. Might take them a few months or never, but you do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffr39 View Post
    enough with the "ripoff" You are with T-mobile, the cheapest carrier in the World. Everyone else is paying $30 or more (some paying $80 and still not unlimited). You should have been informed when you went to purchase the Pearl that it requires the BlackBerry data service. If not your issue is with your sales person, not with BlackBerry. That device was designed solely for THEIR service.

But now you have to watch your bill to make sure T-mobile doesn't charge you for using their data services because that is not the correct plan for your device. Might take them a few months or never, but you do not know.
    Gotta agree with my man cliffr if you dont like it tough move on to a moto razr

jbreidel no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241EDB49

Yeah if I were you I would be very careful on using your package you have now and using opera and google and what not. you might end up getting stabbed with data services. I mean I have T-mobile and 7.99 or whatever for internet vs 19$ for unlimited data and email...i think id rather just pay the difference to be on a faster network.

fenrisswolf no está en línea Stack level 1

Sigh... Not to whine at the first poster, but why get a BB and then complain about using a BB service?

I mean, it's not that hard to look up phone features, reviews and what not to see what each phone can and cannot do. Why go to the trouble of getting a device designed to work one way and then complain when it doesn't work differently?

Even before I chose my current phone, I knew what I wanted:
    A small form-factor, decent e-mail support, some internet functionality, and maybe a camera. The 8100 provided all that, so that's what I got. Yes, it meant that I "had to get" an unlimited BB plan, but so what? Any other "unlimited" data plans where about the same price, or didn't offer the right mix of features for my needs/wants.

No, it doesn't connect to Itunes natively, nor are there a lot of games for it. It's not a windows mobile machine, and I'm not on a fast 3G network or able to view YouTube or play flash animations on my web browser. If I wanted any of those kind of things, I would have gotten a different phone.

It's mostly a matter of doing your homework beforehand, and figuring out what's worth your time and money. If you got a pearl just because you thought "cool, a blackberry" and not because it did what you need it to do, then you just wasted your time and money, and should have forked over some more cash for a different phone and data plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jbreidel View Post
    Yeah if I were you I would be very careful on using your package you have now and using opera and google and what not. you might end up getting stabbed with data services. I mean I have T-mobile and 7.99 or whatever for internet vs 19$ for unlimited data and email...i think id rather just pay the difference to be on a faster network.
    I have the T-Mobile "Total Internet" package, which includes unlimted cellular and wifi data. All for the same price as the Blackberry data plan. I am happy. I don't need the BIS stuff, as I use the Google Java GMail client. (The issue seems to be that the original Pearl firmware didn't support using non Blackberry dataservices.. The newest firmware supports this.)

BTW - T-Mobile would MUCH rather I have the "total internet" plan, as they don't have to share money with Blackberry/RIM.

BTW - I really miss the touch screen from my Treo. I heard a rumor that there is going to be a Blackberry "touch". Can anyone confirm?