Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

FYI the trackball assembly is simply a set of four two sided pins, one side ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

airbase no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: easy trackball removal and cleaning

Advertisement

FYI the trackball assembly is simply a set of four two sided pins, one side to "grip" the trackball(which is a specialized sphere, but is simply plastic) and the other side has a polorized magnet wrapped around it.

There's nothing surprising or amazing about that assembly being able to be submerged in water. It is made of plastic and magnet, and that is it.

what makes it "work" are the four 'pads' that sit in the phone right below where the magnet-side of the pins sits. When you move the ball, it grips the pin, spins the polorized magnet, which is translated into on-screen movement by the 'pads' that sense the rotation of the magnet(thanks to it being polorized)

so the part of the "trackball assembly" that you remove is purely mechanical. The rest of the assembly (the electronics) are onboard the phone.

Not trying to diss on anyone, but i read a few posts where people were amazed at the removable portion handling water. Well, that's not the electronic portion of the device.

just a little clarification for those who may not know

jmann no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~worked perfect for me, thanks!

vailbear no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242693D1

Well, I just managed to successfully clean my track ball after reading this thread. You do need to use a cleaner that acts as a degreaser. It may just be coincidence but at this time of the year the humidity here gets as low as 8-10% and out comes the hand lotion. Anyway, I soaked the assembly in a cleaner for about a half hour and used the wife's hair dryer on warm to get rid of any moisture in the assembly. I hae fat fingers(wedding band is a 13) and used tweezers to reassemble.

corean80 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20505e5c

GREAT GREAT help~~~~~i was having a problem with tracking it to the left but just cleaned my trackball and its working like BRAND NEW but i didnt use water just compressed air and blow off all the dirt out of it.....thanks rizzo70

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

Quote Originally Posted by Lavagirl
    I think I would rather play it safe and just use a little alcohol on a q-tip.
    I totally agree.
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.

joeyblades no está en línea Stack level 1

The Pearl trackball is very similar to the Apple Mighty Mouse scrollball. One of the tricks to free a sticky scrollball is to hold the mouse upside-down and scroll vigorously in all directions for a minute or so. Anytime my Pearl trackball is misbehaving, I use this same trick and, so far, it seems to help.

I just thought I would mention this as something to try BEFORE you disassemble anything. Of course, this won't help with discoloration.

mvnvltn no está en línea Stack level 1

I actually found that since the rollers have a magnetic end, there was material that had to be removed manually. Just food for thought.

budkleppe no está en línea Stack level 3

My trackball crapped out last night so when I got to the office this morning, I found this thread. I ended up taking the whole thing apart and pulled a huge chuck of lint that was wound around the down roller. Taking apart the whole thing was a PITA! It's working, but barely now. I plan on dipping the assembly tonight when I get home and if that doesn't work, I found just the assembly for $30 at promobility.com. They also have the bottom clip that I damaged while trying to remove the T-Mobile logo.

BTW, I used my fingernail to pry the chrome ring off, I started in the lower left corner and it just popped right off.

If you are attempting this, make sure to go slow, these parts are so small and can get airborn pretty quickly.

TheMercuryMan no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ADA6AB

Quote Originally Posted by budkleppe View Post
    My trackball crapped out last night so when I got to the office this morning, I found this thread. I ended up taking the whole thing apart and pulled a huge chuck of lint that was wound around the down roller. Taking apart the whole thing was a PITA! It's working, but barely now. I plan on dipping the assembly tonight when I get home and if that doesn't work, I found just the assembly for $30 at promobility.com. They also have the bottom clip that I damaged while trying to remove the T-Mobile logo.

BTW, I used my fingernail to pry the chrome ring off, I started in the lower left corner and it just popped right off.

If you are attempting this, make sure to go slow, these parts are so small and can get airborn pretty quickly.
    30 bucks sounds a little steep i think they are around 15 or less on eBay

budkleppe no está en línea Stack level 3

Good to know, I'll check there first. After finding one assembly at $60, I thought $30 sounded like a steal.

bacidath no está en línea Stack level 2
    wow...that was fun just cleaned mine. the only thing is that the whole assembly seems to be sitting lower...thanks

lacroixn no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    27FFB707
    I cleaned my wife's 8100 trackball successfully, thanks guys
    Dont sweat the small stuff, hell dont sweat anything!

motocross1 no está en línea Stack level 2
    gonna try it tomorrow mynes so bad i cant scroll left or right...sigh..
    [FONT=Verdana]Remember the Soviet Union? They decided to quit after watching a DeltaForce marathon on Satellite TV[/FONT]

finder216 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, I popped the chrome ring off...flew about 5 feet. The problem that caused was I couldn't tell how it came off. So after I cleaned my mouse assembly, I tried to snap the ring back on and cracked it...got another "few" coming, and can use the cracked one until they arrive. Here is what I didn't realize:

Set the silver ring in place over the trackball assembly with the prongs at 3, 6 and 9 o' clock. Then press down firmly to secure the ring.

I had it at 9, 12 and 3.
    Last edited by finder216; 10-23-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    Greetings from the Land of OZ!

finder216 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Replacement ring came in...$3.50 with shipping and this time I put it on the right way.
    Greetings from the Land of OZ!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast