I used to have a flip phone, once a call ends I simply close the ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Ben Stein no está en línea Stack level 1

Dumb question (standby mode)

Advertisement

I used to have a flip phone, once a call ends I simply close the phone. With the Pearl, am I suppose to put it in 'standby mode' by holding down the button on top? Or is it considered 'off' once the screen goes black?

kurrupt_1 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23AEA032

Re: Dumb question (standby mode)

yes, no.
    "If you can't do it on one wheel, try harder!"

Thank you for responding kurrupt. I thought it was off or on standby when the screen went black. I did not find out about the mute button being the stanby button until much later. I hope I did not screw up the phone by not putting the pearl on stanby this whole time.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Stein
    I used to have a flip phone, once a call ends I simply close the phone. With the Pearl, am I suppose to put it in 'standby mode' by holding down the button on top? Or is it considered 'off' once the screen goes black?
    I think it's unclear what your question actually is.

If you're asking how to hang up from a call, hit the red handset (also called END) button. On my 8700 if I hit it twice, it immediately hangs up and returns to the Home screen. If I hit it only once, I'm left at the Phone's screen.

If you're asking how to put it into Standby (with no phone or data service available), yes hold down the button on the top until the screen turns off.

I'm not sure what kurrupt_1 considers to be "OFF", but if YOU consider not receiving calls or emails being OFF (as I would), the answer to your second question is YES, once you push the top button and the device goes dark, you will no longer receive any phone calls (they will immediately go to your Voicemail), or email (until you turn the device back on).

Perhaps kurrupt_1 is distinguishing between the difference in startup time when you use the top button (the device comes up within seconds this way), and what happens on a hard reboot (remove and replace battery) when it can take MINUTES to restart, and therefore doesn't consider that state to be "off" since power is still trickled to the system to keep the booted state active.
    JerryD

Sorry for not being clear. I just wanted to know if I should put the phone on standby when I'm not using the phone at all. I thought after the screen goes black, that was enough.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Ben Stein, Welcome to PinStack.

Did you get all your questions answered? Let us know if there is anything we can do to help with your BB.

One other thing, it will really help us help you, when you have questions, if you take the time to fill in your PinStack Profile with the information concerning your device. Model, OS and Platform (Found on Options/About), BES Status, Location, and Carrier. Depending on the question, each of these may have an impact on how we respond.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Stein
    Sorry for not being clear. I just wanted to know if I should put the phone on standby when I'm not using the phone at all. I thought after the screen goes black, that was enough.
    The screen goes black when you do nothing because the backlight goes off after 15 seconds, but you press any button and it comes on.
    When you're in standby the keyboard and trackball are locked, so if it's in your pocket the light won't go on all the time because the trackball gets spun. But the phone will ring and you can answer it without leaving the standby mode. The answer/ignore message appears when it rings. And the led light will flash when you have a message. With the original software you have to hit * and green phone to get out of standby, and a key press will prompt you to do this. With the new software you have to press the mute button. The phone comes to life instantly. Hope this clears things up.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.