Just upgraded to an 8130 and OMG it is cool. It's a big improvement to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

armus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31833E7E

Dual NAM

Advertisement

Just upgraded to an 8130 and OMG it is cool. It's a big improvement to the 8100 if even just in the browser. I'm gonna have lots of questions but here's the first

When I call my voice mail, it presents me with the choice of line 1 or line 2 - presumably because this phone supports dual NAMs. This feature is really extra for me, I don't have two lines or even a work voicemail system. I can see this being a cool feature for those who can call in and check a second voicemail, but it's not for me. Does anyone know how to disable this? Currently, I changed it to be a duplicate of my regular voicemail line but it's an extra click - ya know, something in the way.

iron07 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    22bf2ae1

Re: Dual NAM

hey when did at&t get the 8130? that is where you got it

PIN/ID
    31833E7E
    I switched to AllTel. AT&T will never carry the 8130. Probably need to change my profile or something. Will do once I get tired of surfing on this thing and go back to the main puter. This ui is a bit hard to learn but way cool

joe_2224 no está en línea Stack level 1

Why will AT&T never carry the 8130?

I can't figure out why any cell company wouldn't want to offer as many phone options as possible.

Anybody?

PIN/ID
    31833E7E

even though this is no where near the topic i asked about, I'll answer. This is basically what I've found out and may not be 100 % right but probably really close. AT&T uses a single-band network call GSM. It's old and slow but there's some pluses to it maybe like compatibility. The 8100 uses GSM and a host of other networks so lots of people can carry the 8100. The 8130 was built to work on a different kind of network, a CDMA spread spectum network. Its much faster - web browsing is really nice - but not as compatibile or something. It has a down side too. But other carriers like Alltel, Verizone and Sprint use this network type. I think it is basically hailed as being better largely because of the speed and some agrue a reduced power cost to the phone.

As the 8130 is required to use the CDMA network, only Alltel, Verizon, Sprint and Tmobile will ever carry the 8130. AT&T with its backwards GSM network will only ever carry the 8100.

I believe a similar reason is behind Tmobile being the only carrier for the 8320 - network compatibility. And yes, network providers make deals with the cell phone companies to insure certain phones will only be compatibile on their networks - look at the iphone which will only go to AT&T even though everyone else's network is backwards compatibile with the old GSM networks (which the iphone uses even though its slow as hell)

Now can someone answer my dual nam problem?