Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Originally Posted by jd8726 As ridiculous as this sounds, drilling holes even in your cover ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: Drilled my pearl!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jd8726
    As ridiculous as this sounds, drilling holes even in your cover voids your one year warranty. If your phone breaks, you won't get a replacement, and will have to buy one full price. If you have that much faith in your BB, then awesome, but trackballs and speakerphones break on these devices constantly.
    No before you send it in you can just buy another battery cover and put it on and then just put the drilled one back on when you get the replacment.

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

A replacement cover can be had for $7 and they would be none the wiser. On that same note if you read warranty info carefully(and this is also noted by RIM), installing OS will also void the warranty if it is a not one provided by your service provider, but that seems to not defer nor stop anyone, so I ask what is the difference. People jump on every new OS to come around the bend and that is more of a risk than drilling a few holes in the back of the devices cover. I am taking my chances on all fronts. Besides one could argue that by the Magnus act of 1976 that modifications only void the waranty if they can be proven to directly cause the problem to merit the warranty issue. WhenI was with Sprint they had a sign on the door that said the warranty on all devices would be voided if third party apps and ringtones were loaded onto the devices. I argued with them and they withdrew the claim and allowed the exchanges. This double speak only serves to deter the uninformed. I would not worry and do what maked you happy.

the hippie no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

i dont know about that for sure since i got a replacement for a pearl tht would not stay charged and when i received it there was no browser (before i found this site) customer service walked me thru loading it and said nothing of the kind about voiding the warranty

They walked you through installing their supported OS correct?? If you will reread my post you will see that I specifically said one that is not provided by your service provider (IE you have AT&T and load the Rogers, VODAPHONE, T-Mobile, etc OS instead). Technically if you read the fine print they can (most won't enforce this) but they can disallow the waranty for such software being loaded as it was not designed specifically for their system. This exact thing was posted on in the latest .101 OS upgrade that everyone was trying to find if it was real or not (possibly a virus carrier). Someone contacted RIM and that was their "official" statement about voiding the warranty (if using a different OS than was supported/provided by the service provider), but said that it makes no difference off the record. The only devices that were supposedly immune were the RIM branded devices (as all warranty was handled directly through them). Yeah like there is some magical differences in the devices.
    Last edited by squeakr; 07-15-2007 at 01:07 PM.

the hippie no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

i didnt mean to upset up hon just was posted what happen to me...sorry
    and yes it was correct was on the phone over and hour and a half, thought we might go out to dinner later....lol
    Last edited by the hippie; 07-15-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Not upset, just clarifying that what you posted about your experience didn't apply to what I posted as you were reloading their supported/approved/provided OS and this can be all the difference. They didn't walk you through a different provider's OS. In fact in order tio get them to load you have to make changhes to the standard settings (deletiong the vendor.alx file) otherwise there would be no way to getother vendor's OS to load (so a somewhat moot point).

poloimposter no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240DB952

this is a great idea i dont know why i never thought of this i always thought that even on the loudest settings the ringers were kind of low

ebanga no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24352F80

wow great job guyz! i was gonna buy the seidio cover, but what fun is that?
    *fumbling thru toolbox for tiiny drill bit*
    "Make It Count" R.I.P. Jay D ~ 6-25-05

jbjackson3004 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23EEF24E

Does anyone have the seidio cover? I finally found one that didn't have the battery extender on it. I, personally, don't think they look bad at all.

My question, which gives better sound? The seidio cover or drilled holes?

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

I'm going to try this tonight. (Well actually, have the bf try it since I'm scared I'll mess it up). Will post pics
    /~*brooke

deceive no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23EC31BF

Well, I finally did it. I had been thinkin about it ever since people started posting pics. And I gotta say, I am very pleased. I used a 1/16th bit with a cordless drill. After marking it up with a black sharpie I placed the back cover on a spare piece of wood for support and went to drilling....very slow.
    I am very pleased and the sound difference and the fact I didn't screw it up. I did everything by hand.
    whatcha think?

anfrey no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    A5KME41T

Quote Originally Posted by deceive
    Well, I finally did it. I had been thinkin about it ever since people started posting pics. And I gotta say, I am very pleased. I used a 1/16th bit with a cordless drill. After marking it up with a black sharpie I placed the back cover on a spare piece of wood for support and went to drilling....very slow.
    I am very pleased and the sound difference and the fact I didn't screw it up. I did everything by hand.
    whatcha think?
    that look sgood... now i'm tempted to do this.. but i'll probably be drilling in the blackberry logo on there.

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Quote Originally Posted by deceive
    whatcha think?
    I think that is an awesome job. you should submit it to RIM to see if future models could have this. A+ imo
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

I would like to do it with my Curve but never had the gumption to do it. Though I'm impressed by how you did it
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.

R-Rizzo no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E0C4F4

I've thought about doing this, but I think i will just go with seidio... I need to fix my battery latch

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast