Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When I bought a theme for my Blackberry Pearl I had to download it from ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

onegiantleap no está en línea Stack level 1

Download OTA in Firefox

Advertisement

When I bought a theme for my Blackberry Pearl I had to download it from the mobile (OTA). Because I wanted to have a backup copy of this theme I tried to download it to my computer again, but Firefox was redirected to another page without downloading it. The vendor seemed to check if the browser was on a blackberry and blocks and redirects all other platforms, so you cannot download it from a PC.

Step 1:

Download and install the User Agent Swither extension for firefox from this URL:

addons.mozilla.org/firefox/59/

Restart Firefox.

Step 2:

In Firefox Extras menu Select "User Agent Switcher / Options / Options". Select "User Agents". Click "Add".

In the first line enter "Blackberry Pearl".
    In the second line enter "BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/114"
    Leave all other fields blank.

Step 3

From the Firefox menu select "Extras / User Agent Switcher / Blackberry Pearl.

Enter the URL - Save the file - done!

Sorry for the incomplete URL, but I'm not allowed to post URLs ;-). Hope this small post helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mikadad no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Re: Download OTA in Firefox

what is this for exactly?
    Michael

HeyMrRadio no está en línea Themes Pro

Quote Originally Posted by onegiantleap
    Because I wanted to have a backup copy of this theme...
    Not a bad idea actually.

Mikadad, when you buy a theme or anything else online, some vendors make sure you can only download to your blackberry OTA (over the air). The reason is some vendors don't want you to be able to make an unlicenced "backup copy" and give it to a friend.

Because your new theme is only on your blackberry you don't have a backup copy of this theme. If you have to reset your BB for some reason the theme you bought is lost. So I thought it would be a good idea to have a backup copy of what you bought, and this is a method to download to your PC instead of only dl to your BB.

Hope this makes it a little bit more clear ;-).

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

nice job onegiantleap

benojir no está en línea Stack level 2

Thanks for the tip, onegiantleap!

Just one question. I'm on T-Mobile UK so can't access mobile.blackberry.com from my Pearl to download the TodayPlus theme- it comes up with the blackberry help page.

Is there a way to modify the user agent details so I can access the site through firefox? I tried with the settings above, but the same message comes up...

cheers,

ben

Ben, if you cannot download from the BB mobile site with your BB there might be a problem with your BB Enterprise Server beeing not allowed to bypass the company firewall. We had this problem only with the Pearl.

You can also try to access the page with the other browser. Strange, but it did not work with my BB browser, but the T-Mobile web'n'walk Browser did the job! You can adjust the browser being used for each bookmark in the bookmarks options.

Unfortunately. the Useragent Switcher trick does not work on mobile.blackberry.com: I did some experiments with the useragent line, but still could not access the page with Firefox. Maybe they also evaluate the user's IP address to check if the request is really coming from a BB.

Ben, if you cannot download from the BB mobile site with your BB there might be a problem with your BB Enterprise Server beeing not allowed to bypass the company firewall. We had this problem only with the Pearl.

You can also try to access the page with the other browser. Strange, but it did not work with my BB browser, but the T-Mobile web'n'walk Browser did the job! You can adjust the browser being used for each bookmark in the bookmarks options.

Unfortunately. the Useragent Switcher trick does not work on mobile.blackberry.com: I did some experiments with the useragent line, but still could not access the page with Firefox. Maybe they also evaluate the user's IP address to check if the request is really coming from a BB.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm actually on BIS, and don't really know anything about the firewall (?) other than that I think it's off under options. I only have the T-Mobile browser and can't see the BB Browser. Should I have the BB one? I'm on 4.2.1.66, and have allowed the hidden themes...

Is this something which simply isn't available on UK networks?

cheers,
    ben

Can you select the browser in the bookmark options? Also, in the extended options you can select the browser. Hard to tell if you have this option in your BB, I'm on T-Mobile Germany and the BB Pearl is T-Mobile Germany branded.

Talked to our BB server admin about the internet problems again. The MDS service had to get installed and configured. But as you don't run the enterprise server this surely is not the problem at your side. Just in case anybody else has the same problem ;-).
    Last edited by onegiantleap; 03-26-2007 at 08:27 AM.

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

You don't have to do this if you don't want to. I have already outlined the steps to backup all ota and 3rd party apps off of your blackberry. I also started a thread here on how to do it. You can find the easy direction on my website. www.kradest.com it should be the 2nd post from the top.

Thanks for your input, Krad!

Krad,

Do you know where I can get the Today Plus theme? As I have been told I don't have access to mobile.blackberry.com from my carrier's browser, (T-Mobile UK).

mikadad no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Mikadad, when you buy a theme or anything else online, some vendors make sure you can only download to your blackberry OTA (over the air). The reason is some vendors don't want you to be able to make an unlicenced "backup copy" and give it to a friend.

Because your new theme is only on your blackberry you don't have a backup copy of this theme. If you have to reset your BB for some reason the theme you bought is lost. So I thought it would be a good idea to have a backup copy of what you bought, and this is a method to download to your PC instead of only dl to your BB.

Hope this makes it a little bit more clear ;-).
    Yup, it did, do you or anyone have a setup for a 8700c? or is there one?
    Michael

kunalakajim no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    214EFD7A

I wonder if i will ever need it
    Better Times Ahead

Jim
    PIN - 2052B397
    Email - kunalakajim@gmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast