I saw in a thread that someone said the aluminum case reduces your signal strength ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

TaraG no está en línea Stack level 3

Question Does aluminum case reduce signal strength??????????

Advertisement

I saw in a thread that someone said the aluminum case reduces your signal strength on your bb. I just wanted to know if there was any truth to that. I looked through all the other threads I could find on the case, but nobody mentioned it anywhere. I'm debating between that case and the new rubberized one Seidio's coming out with in a week. The only thing stopping me from getting the metal one is interfering with the signal strength. The only thing about the new rubberized one is if it'll have an opening for the speaker.

Re: Does aluminum case reduce signal strength??????????

Well that answers my question. Plus I just found out that the new rubberized case WILL have a speaker opening , so I'm gonna wait for it to come out!!

pearlsrock no está en línea Stack level 2

As much as I like the case I do beleive it does cut the signal just a bit.No big deal unless your in a marginal area.If you use the phone in metro areas with good signal I dont beleive its an issue because its just a little loss not alot.

absolved no está en línea Stack level 3

I haven't used the aluminum case with m Pearl since I had a bad experience with it with the Sidekick3. With my SK3 it cut out maybe 2-3 bars of signal strength. No more aluminum cases for me.

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

yes it does... alum cases are a no go.. just put it on a watch for urself. my calls would cut out my emails delayed.. say NO to alum cases

So is the aluminum actually blocking the signal?You would think it would actually help reception like a coat hanger on a broken radio antenna.But instead it must be acting like a metal building.Does anyone know what area the antenna is located in the phone?

thanks, absolved and nicky88xx. now i've definitely made up my mind to wait and get the new seidio case!!

peterbabiy no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    23DE41AA

Hmmm, I would of never thought it reduces the signal strengh infact I would think it increases lol

geelexus no está en línea Stack level 2

Now that i know this i think im ready to get a new case since im using the alum. one now. Where do i find more out about this other case?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by geelexus
    Now that i know this i think im ready to get a new case since im using the alum. one now. Where do i find more out about this other case?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    go to this thread, it should help
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._extended.html

Quote Originally Posted by peterbabiy
    Hmmm, I would of never thought it reduces the signal strengh infact I would think it increases lol
    Have you ever been in a building with a radio that has poor to no reception? If you touch the antenna to the metal walls it will then pick up better reception. Seems like it shouldnt affect it that much anyway. I mean its not a solid, Sealed block of aluminum and cell phones do work inside of cars. I guess its just cant handle the case with its average signal strength. My last three phones were motorola and they had much better coverage than the pearl. (Even out of the aluminum case)

mike22 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    ASKME

Lightbulb Re: Does aluminum case reduce signal strength??????????

i have two family plan 5 phones each plan so i have 8 razr and two BLACKBERRY only the blackberry work everywhere in my house! moto or BLACKBERRY ?

slingshotzack no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23FBC82E

I'm not sure i understand what you are asking, if you should go with moto or blackberry?

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

alright guys...it's NOT the aluminum let's just stop that now...especially since it's such a great conductor...as for that building scenario where radio has poor reception and you touch it or get close to it and the signal gets better, that's due to you being a giant antenna that picks up the signals better than the antenna in the radio because of all the mesh of metal throughout the building inside the walls and concrete floors and ceilings

as far as the case goes it works like this...there was a scientist named Faraday who discovered that if you wrap a wire mesh cage around ANYTHING it will completely take it off the "GRID" (meaning it is only accessible from inside the cage)...no signals get in and none get out...however this is very specific and can only be done with PERFORATED metal due to the way electro-magnetism works...because the aluminum case is solid and not equally proportional and not grounded there is no way it could interfere with your reception unless the manufacturing process of the aluminum case some how causes it to be meshed together rather than stamped out...the fine meshing would create Faraday cage of sorts but even then you would get NO signal instead of just losing a bar or two...hope this helps