Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

I have a chance to get the 8120 from TMO for $139.99 and I was ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator

Do you like your 8120??

Advertisement

I have a chance to get the 8120 from TMO for $139.99 and I was just wondering what your likes and dislikes are. I have seen several posts where there are problems. Anyone really happy with their 8120?
    Last edited by pdxmatts; 04-25-2008 at 08:15 PM.

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28
    So far all my customers with the 8120 have been very pleased. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

My 8120 is Trouble Free!

I really like my 8120. It has exceeded my admittedly elevated expectations quite nicely. After having every current model of BB, I'm very impressed with the improvements in this 8120 as compared to my first 8100 Pearl. It is much better built, the side plates are nice and secure, and the body is creak free when squeezed. The most noticeable improvements (for me) are the new keyboard. Unlike the original 8100 which was rather mushy, due to the keys being glued to a rubber membrane, with no support, the wobble factor drove me to the point of selling it.

The 8120's keyboard is firm, positive, and greatly improved. I have been using mine a lot since day one. I got mine the day they were released and have used it more than I thought I would. My original intent was for it to be a weekend phone only. Especially since I handle so many emails per day during the week on my 8310. However I wanted to give the 8120 a very intense test up front, so I could determine if it was indeed better, and if it was going to be a "keeper" for me. The SureType input method is something that I have always liked way back to the days of my much loved 7130c. I'm really fast and accurate with SureType, it's the best.

I also want to mention that in typical BlackBerry fashion, I've not had a single problem with it. I have put it through it's paces and used it a tremendous amount of time since day one. I normally use my BlackBerry for about 12 hours per day, .....OK....OK... true confessions.... 14 hours a day.....

This is the best Pearl to date, it's a keeper for me, and I highly suggest it to anyone who wants the small, light form factor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Archer, do you use it now more than your Curve?

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    Archer, do you use it now more than your Curve?
    Great Question!

Here's a bit of background on my BB usage. I travel a lot for work, so a BB is mission critical for me. I also receive 70 to 100 emails per day. Of that number about 40 require immediate responses, therefore they are processed via BB. When ever I can, I stop at a Starbucks and use Wi-Fi on my ThinkPad to do the rest. So that's my pattern of usage. That said, it's a real toss up.

I never wear a BB on my belt, and always carry it in my pocket, therefore the Pearl is preferred for that. Even though I'm very fast, experienced and love SureType, the keyboard, even though improved, remains a bit small for me. While I can certainly get my work done on the new 8120, it's still more comfortable to use the Curve 8310, but only because I have so much mail.

If it were not for the volume of mail, it would be easy for me to do everything using the Pearl. So the bottom line for me, is that I carry one on me, and the other in my computer bag. This way I can use the one that is appropriate for what I'm doing. In the evening, and on weekends I always use my new 8120. Then on weekdays mostly Tues through Thurs when mail is the heaviest I use the 8310 during the day.

If you do not handle a lot of mail the 8120 would be a very nice choice.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

PIN/ID
    LESS
    Very nice review of the BB 8120

Do you have to keep switching your sim card back and forth? Do you have to resend your service books everytime to get email on the phone your using at the time? I like the idea of doing exactly what your doing with your 8310, but with my 8320 and possible 8120.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmatts View Post
    Do you have to keep switching your sim card back and forth? Do you have to resend your service books everytime to get email on the phone your using at the time? I like the idea of doing exactly what your doing with your 8310, but with my 8320 and possible 8120.
    OK, your going to like this!

First of all I used to swap my sim card at least 4 to 6 times a day between the 6 or so BB's I had at that time. (now I have more)

I am a _very_sick_ BB addict.... there is simply no hope for me....

Ok, I'll get serious again.... So anyway the beauty of swapping the sim card is that's all you have to do. The service books stay in your BB even without a sim installed. So it's as simple as just taking the sim out of one, and putting it in the other. Also I sync my BB's to Outlook on my laptop and that's smooth and fast as well. After putting the sim in whatever BB I want to use, I simply connect it via USB to my laptop, do a sync and that BB is now up to date with my calendar, contacts etc.

It could not be easier. Really the only problem is it's now getting hard to find space on my desk at home as it's covered in BlackBerrys.......

True confessions? The list of BB's in my signature below, is just a partial list of my favs, and to make matters worse (according to my wife) I now have three sims for the three phone numbers I maintain as I have other phones as well, thus my sim swapping has been reduced a bit.

1 - sim stays in my 8310
    1 - sim stays in my 8120

1 - sim for swapping between my various brand X dumb phones.

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    I also highly recommend the 8120. There are many improvements over the 8100 (already listed so I won't repeat) and it really is a very solid phone. I have had zero problems. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I am hoping to list what I like and don't like (if anything) within a week or so. Hurry up May 5 LOL I can't wait much longer.

mistergreg no está en línea Stack level 3
    Erica and all those who are interested, I love mine. The ONLY problem I've come up with thus far is this morning my message list was empty, with the exception of 2 messages, but when I did a battery pull, everything was there. I truly love the phone, having come from an 8100 and 8320. It's a great handset and I'm really excited to see how the handset evolves as 4.5 gets released.

EDIT: Oh, also, in the browser, when I type something into a text window, on some websites when I scroll down to the send button, the text box erases. That's kinda annoying right now.
    Last edited by mistergreg; 04-26-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistergreg View Post
    Oh, also, in the browser, when I type something into a text window, on some websites when I scroll down to the send button, the text box erases. That's kinda annoying right now.
    -----
    That's a site issue, so no worries your device is fine.
    via: Red BB 8310

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    Erica, I am eligible for an upgrade on 5/3, but I am not going to rush because my 8100c still works like a champ.

I am still trying to decide, the 8120 or 8110? I am not usually near many wifi hot spots, so not sure if the 8120 will to me any good, plus I have no problems with EDGE. GPS on the 8110 would be nice, but I can use google maps like I do on my 8100 to get directions. I am leaning towards the 8120. The 8120 is $199 and the 8110 is $149, both 2 yr contract prices. Maybe those prices will frop in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I am hoping to list what I like and don't like (if anything) within a week or so. Hurry up May 5 LOL I can't wait much longer.
    Last edited by walds11; 04-26-2008 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
    I am eligible for an upgrade on 5/3, but I am not going to rush because my 8100c still works like a champ.
    I am still trying to decide, the 8120 or 8110? I have no problems with EDGE.
    -------
    You bring up a very good point that I've been meaning to touch on, and that is EDGE.
    I have changed my position on this, as I used to be very eager for RIM to bring out a 3G model. Especially because it does increase page loading speeds on the web. However I am rather used to the speed of EDGE now, and certainly appreciate the battery life. So 3G no longer represents the "big deal" to me that it once did.

Regarding the choice between the 8110 or 8120, that too is minimal. And yet not a particularly easy decision if one is not sure about their potential wifi usage. The only issue I have is the $50 premium that AT&T is currently charging for the 8120. If I had known that just a week after the 8120 was introduced, they were going to offer the 8110 I would have waited & saved the $50.

So there's my 2 cents. Oops... Forgot to adjust the price due to the higher fuel prices. Hmmm... Yes now I have it.

So there's my $2.00.....

Cheers
    via: Red BB 8310

walds11 no está en línea Stack level 4
    archer6, thanks for the feedback. I am leaning towards the 8120. I am in no rush to upgrade, so I'll se eif the price drops on the 8120. As for 3G, I could care less about it. I hear that 3G is a battery burner. Wifi and GPS are nice features to have, but if I get the 8120, I can use google maps to get directions and stuff. Still trying to decide which one

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast