Why would I want to do this? Well because the company I work for doesn't ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

basic_man25 no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb Disable BlackBerry Browser but still allow Internet Browser

Advertisement

Why would I want to do this? Well because the company I work for doesn't want to get into issues with the IRS on tax issues for personal use on corporate equipment. They change the policy to allow us to get our own device and then they pay me to do work on my device.

The problem is that we have web content filtering that when using the BlackBerry browser through BES you can't view alot of sites.

Heather from another post explained how to do this but I wanted to improve upon here [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']recommendation[/FONT]:

Under Device-Only Items set Enable WAP Config to False

Under Global Items set Allow Browser to False

Under Browser Policy Group set Allow IBS Browser to True

Hopefully this helps new BES Administrators.
    Last edited by basic_man25; 06-20-2008 at 10:35 AM. Reason: typos

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro
    I thought my company was ridiculous for disabling MDS because of "security" concerns, but this is even more so! Does your company think that no "personal" browsing goes on with their computers? Do they REALLY think the IRS cares?

Believe me, when we disabled MDS, it caused some BIG problems - luckily with just a few users. You'd be better off setting the Default browser to the Internet Browser through Group Policy. With the latest software, that makes it very tricky to use the BlackBerry browser.
    JerryD

Snyder81 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jdellasala View Post
    I thought my company was ridiculous for disabling MDS because of "security" concerns, but this is even more so! Does your company think that no "personal" browsing goes on with their computers? Do they REALLY think the IRS cares?

Believe me, when we disabled MDS, it caused some BIG problems - luckily with just a few users. You'd be better off setting the Default browser to the Internet Browser through Group Policy. With the latest software, that makes it very tricky to use the BlackBerry browser.
    jdellasala, how do you default the browser to "Internet Browser"? I tried the UID thing and it didn't seem to work. Here is my desired behavior:

1) Default browser is ALWAYS "Internet Browser" (I tried setting Default Browser Config UID to "GPMDSNA01" inside the Device-Only Items section of IT Policy.)

2) When user clicks an internal site link or types in an internal site like whatever.mycompany.com, I want that to go through the "BlackBerry Browser." (I tried setting this up by going to Browser Policy Group and setting MDS Browser Domains to ".mycompany.com" without the quotes). It seems to work sometimes but not others, which is weird.