Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I apologize if my title wasn't clear enough but I was looking at these options ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

JiveRobot no está en línea Stack level 2

Different Blackberry Capablilites/Rates vs. Treo 650

Advertisement

I apologize if my title wasn't clear enough but I was looking at these options and features that T-Mobile provides to Blackberry users for 19.99 and I am not quite clear about what it exactly offers.

Is Text Messaging included? In my "search" I found a poster who mentioned free text messaging through something called BBText?
    I also read that the instant messaging program on the BB uses text messaging??? Wouldn't this be slow and also not be included in the "data"?
    It seems as though you can tether this and use it as a modem, have any of you been flogged for bandwidth?

Here is the real question, could I not use the Tmobileweb plan for 5.99 instead?

Currently I have a Treo 650 and use Tmobileweb. I can definitely say it does everything I need, but I think it is a tad bulky.

The $5.99 plan allows me to
    Unlimited Instant Messaging (fast like true AIM) using Verichat.
    Browse the true internet (of course I had to set up a proxy or use Tmo's on port 8080... a tad slow due to the intermediary)
    Send/receive e-mail ... even "push" style using Fastmail.com.

With the BB Pearl on the $5.99 plan will I be able to do the same?

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Re: Different Blackberry Capablilites/Rates vs. Treo 650

Bandwith...Nah...Apparently TMO hasn't caught on yet or they are just really nice. I tether my BB to my laptop...I typically use about 180MB of data a month and they haven't said anything to me yet.

You will be charged for SMS/TEXT messages if you use the built in messaging client.

Other ways around that are to get a 3rd party application to use for text messaging (Prices vary).

I use a ton of text messages anyways, so I just went with the $19.99 unlimited messaging program. It includes all text messages and multimedia messages.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

BTW, tmobileweb and BIS aren't the same thing.

In order to use data on the Blackberry, you need to get the Blackberry Internet Service, which is provided by RIM.

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    BTW, tmobileweb and BIS aren't the same thing.

In order to use data on the Blackberry, you need to get the Blackberry Internet Service, which is provided by RIM.
    So what you are saying is that you must get BIS in order to use any type of Data on the blackberry (IM, web surfing) ? I thought BIS was just for their special push email features?

mrdeeno no está en línea Stack level 3

The thing that caught my eye is there are T-mobile blackberry "Minutes and Mail" plans...and most of these plans DO include free unlimited text messaging with the unlimited data and whatever minutes. The cheapest plan (1000 anytime minutes but no night/weekend) is $59.99

I am currently with Cingular and considering defecting to T-mobile, so I am looking at this plan as well as the $39.99 for 600min + free N/W, $19.99 unlimited BIS, and $4.99 400 anykind of text. It will depend on where i get the phone considering T-mobile has the Mail & Minutes plans but the independent online retailers don't (but they offer the 8100 for FREE!)..although they do offer the BIS unlimited for $19.99 which is not on the T-mo site.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveRobot
    So what you are saying is that you must get BIS in order to use any type of Data on the blackberry (IM, web surfing) ? I thought BIS was just for their special push email features?
    I think you need to get a BB specific plan for data, unless it's SMS/MMS.

But aren't the BB plans usually cheaper than the non-BB data plans anyway?

windexh8er no está en línea Stack level 1

The BB plans include unlimited txt -- I know that for a fact. I have the 1000 anytime, unlimited data (which TMobile says is fine to tether with), and unlimited txt plus your (obvious) BB e-mail of which is managed from BES web frontend. I was in a store last night and asked about My Faves on top of this. The rep said it's an add on for any BB plan for $10/month. I think the plan is called 'myFaves BlackBerry Minutes & Mail' and it's $70/monthly. Not a bad deal I guess. I wish that included N&W too for that price... But, myFaves kind of makes up for that.

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by windexh8er
    The BB plans include unlimited txt -- I know that for a fact. .
    If you are referring to SMS/Conventional text, than no, that is not true...It is not included in the BIS/BES package...Supplied by two completely different companies: SMS/TEXT=Tmobile BIS/BES=RIM

I've seen a few posts in here mentioning Tmobileweb... since I posted this.. however none are clear.. maybe I can be one of the first to test it out, and contribute!

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    If you are referring to SMS/Conventional text, than no, that is not true...It is not included in the BIS/BES package...Supplied by two completely different companies: SMS/TEXT=Tmobile BIS/BES=RIM
    If you get the BB "Minutes and Mail" plan, they DO include unlimited text messaging.

This is the $59.99 plan (cheapest M&M plan):

Unlimited e-mail
    Unlimited Web browsing
    Text messaging
    No nationwide long-distance or roaming charges
    For BlackBerry® Enterprise plans: unlimited BlackBerry Enterprise Server* access

This plan features:
    Whenever minutes 1000 per month
    Weekend minutes None
    Weeknight minutes None
    myFaves minutes N/A
    Mobile to mobile minutes None
    Shared minutes None
    Additional minutes $.35 per minute
    Data transfer Unlimited
    Included Text Messages Unlimited
    My E-mail Unlimited
    Corporate My E-mail None
    HotSpot None

PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Per T-Mobile WebSite:

BlackBerry Internet Service Plans

Integrate up to 10 of your existing e-mail accounts and have your messages pushed right to your BlackBerry handheld. Choose a data-only plan with unlimited e-mail and Web browsing, or choose one of our bundled Minutes & Mail plans to add tons of Whenever Minutes®. to these great data features.

Also, try this:

Go to their site, put in that you want a Pearl for example, and then click next to go to the plans...There is no Tmobileweb listed, only Blackberry Internet.

ericugs no está en línea Stack level 3

For the Pearl, you need the blackberry data plan. It's an addon to any plan for 19.99.

However, you can get a BLACKBERRY specific plan. The hot one on T-mobile.com right now is 59.99 unlimited internet/data, 1000 anytime minutes, and unlimited text(not sure if they're still doing this).

To use AIM and such, the best is to get IM+ or a similiar product (http://www.shapeservices.com) and it uses your DATA not Text messaging. That way since you have unlimited data no need to worry about overage charges or anything.

Hope that clears it up a little more?

I dont currently have any dataplan.. and I have the phone in hand right now... I will switch over the sim (with tmobileweb) from my treo as soon as this baby is fully charged and let you guys know how it works out!

sn1p3r no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

JiveRobot as stated by a lot of people in here, it wil NOT works since the BB data plan comes from RIM not Tmo so Tmobileweb will only make you lose money on a BB
    I'm french canadian so I can also help you in french, just PM me
    UNLESS it is for a BETA OS, it's at your own risk and I won't support it
    Sn1p3r

I still seem to think there is a way. I may not get "BB like data" but I think I will be able to connect to the web as long as there is settings for it... I found a post titled: "8100 as a modem (I am not a long enough member to post links apparantly)" where KrazyKritter talks about t-mobileweb at the bottom of page 1.

People told me that tzones (now T-mobileweb) would not work with the Treo and that I needed the unlimited data plan... but indeed it worked you just need to set up proxies and such.

I also found this on the internet

Getting your Blackberry To use your T-MobileWeb (the new T-Zones)

This is the big one. Everyone would love to get away with only paying $5 for what they were paying $20 or $30 for.
    The trick is to set the T-MobileWeb APN and Proxy in the "Options" (or "Settings" in the newer blackbery" then find "TCP" from the list

Enter the following information
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    Username & Password: {Blank}
    Gateway IP: 216.155.165.50:8080 {This is where the HTTP Proxy goes}

This last line is usually what's missing if your blackberry has been set (or was at one point set) to an "Enterprise Server", usually called BES, or using MDS.
    These are all settings for people with blackberry's with connections to IT departments in their companies, or renting that kind of service from a Blackberry Email provider.
    You need to find a way to get your Blackberry to be setup as if it's just you and not you with a corporation. Contact your provider for more details about this if you do not understand the meaning of this.

I have been experimenting with my Blackberry 7280 which unfortunately was originally setup with BES and I have not been able to reset it.
    Installing a new firmware has not changed this, and "blanking out the security policy" has not helped.
    If you find that you DO have the Gateway IP: in your "TCP" option then you are ready to go.
    If you can't find your web Browser in your list of applications CLick on the ALT key, then press the BACK botton on the side of the device. It will be in that list, if not upgrade yourself to a 4.xxx firmware from any provider
    Please feel free to contact me with your experience with this, just email info at this domain name

If you've found this advice useful please link to this page or forward this page to anyone you know that could use it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast