Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am still in amazement of my new Pearl 8120. But I just wanted to ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Differences Between 8100 and 8120

Advertisement

I am still in amazement of my new Pearl 8120. But I just wanted to see if there were a few things I'm overlooking or were they left off as compared to my 8100.

1. Where did the Switch Application option go on the menu in the 8120? This came up when you want to switch from one app to another? I keep looking for it as I was so used to it being on my 8100.

2. Where did the Turn Bluetooth On/Off icon go? I can't find it either. I'm having to either use the Manage Connections (I suspect this is the new way to get to it) or BlueTooth options under Device Options.

3. The Spell Checker is nice to have but I would rather prefer to not have it.

4. The trackball and keyboard seem a little stiffer than on my 8100 but I guess they will loosen up considering I just got the phone 3 days ago.

4. The desktop scrolling feature of the native BB OS is annoying the crap out of me (I can stand it in Opera Mini for some odd reason). I hated having the little pointer on my screen. Sometimes when scrolling it scrolls too fast. I set the speed so it wouldn't be too fast. Also sometimes the cursor doesn't follow when I scroll down to try to access a link here on the Stacks.

5. WiFi and the upgraded 4.3 OS appear to make the device much faster than my 8100 even with the same amount of apps and themes.

6. Battery life is much better than the 8100 even with the same OEM battery. I still charge it but I don't think I will have to as much as I did my 8100.

Can't think of any other differences right now but I'm sure they will come to me.

lucky13mt no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    N/A
    Nice! This will be a helpful reference to many.
    Last edited by lucky13mt; 05-09-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    BlackBerry Rocks!<-Check it out!

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    1. I still see the switch application option at the bottom of the menu. Not sure why you aren't??

2. Unfortunately, "Manage Connections" is the new option for turning bluetooth on/off, along with WiFi (as far as I have been able to ascertain anyway). I was not happy with this either, but I have adjusted to it and now it seems just as easy.

I'm very happy with my 8120! I did look at the Curve again yesterday when I passed an AT&T store (like I do every time I pass one), but again I decided that I wasn't crazy about that keyboard and that I'm happy with SureType on the Pearl (just like I decide every time)... at least I'm consistent!

4. I'm also have issues with the browser arrow... sometimes I am in a spot when I'm entering text (ie on PinStack) and I decide I want to go to a different word to make a change, and then I can't get the arrow to go back to the place where I left off. I click and it just keeps offering me options for the current word and won't let me move away from that word even when I accept it. I guess I'll figure it out eventually...

5. I agree about the speed increase - it's great!

6. I haven't noticed the battery life being any different, but then I charge my BB every night regardless. I'll have to pay more attention to that.

Thanks for your thoughts, it's always nice to get other people's opinions about our new toys
    Last edited by gritsinct; 05-09-2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling :)

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    I'll have to get back to you on this one!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

Justyn no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    n/a
    4. The trackball and keyboard seem a little stiffer than on my 8100 but I guess they will loosen up considering I just got the phone 3 days ago.
    I prefer the buttons and the trackball the way they are on the 8120... on the 8100 the buttons seemed really flimsy and I was afraid they would come of. The trackball seems better because I can actually feel it move.
    It's not an iPhone addiction, it's insomnia!

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I am still in amazement of my new Pearl 8120. But I just wanted to see if there were a few things I'm overlooking or were they left off as compared to my 8100.

1. Where did the Switch Application option go on the menu in the 8120? This came up when you want to switch from one app to another? I keep looking for it as I was so used to it being on my 8100.
    Figured it out. I set it as an option on the right convenience key on my BB.

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    Nice set of info, I've been thinking of upgrading from the 8100, I think the trackball would be the worst for me.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ The trackball is easier than the trackwheel I used before on my 7730, 7100t and 7105t.

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    Figured it out. I set it as an option on the right convenience key on my BB.
    I see it when I use the menu key! I'm glad you figured out how to make it work, but that's strange that you don't see it where I see it!

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Ok so now that I have had a week or 2 to play with my 8120 I have noticed some things too.
    1. I noticed the moving of the switch app but since I use the ALT+Back It doesn't affect me to much.
    2. The camera rocks! It is so much better than my other pearl(don't tell her).
    3. The Wifi is very nice. So much faster than the EDGE access I am used to. Which brings me to number 4.
    4. Along that line I need some more themes as I need my wifi indicator and its not on my old themes that I love so much ;(
    5. I love the new browser. I really like regaining access to my online banking and other secure sites that were gone due to their security updates. It also makes cruising the stacks so much easier.
    6. I really like not having to be limited to my old 1 gig card as this 2gig I am using does not affect the speed of my 8120 whereas it killed the speed of my 8100(again don't tell her).

Overall I am mucho glad I made the switch to the new 8120 from ATT, It has become a most loved addition to my BB family(between me and my wife, we have 4 BB now). The 8120 rocks!

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Oops I forgot this:
    7. The memory card door is so much a neccessity. I used to switch it occasionally because it was such a pain to reboot my pearl - too much time to wait- but now I add things all the time.

volscian no está en línea Stack level 5
    I have no problems with using 2gb on my 8100 and the speed. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

li2327 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    30D2E555
    I agree with all of you. The 8120 is awesome. I have the Tmobile version and the best feature upgrade for me is that all of the instant messenger applications are included on this version and they use data. Way to go rim! ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Quote Originally Posted by thbassman View Post
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Oops I forgot this:
    7. The memory card door is so much a neccessity. I used to switch it occasionally because it was such a pain to reboot my pearl - too much time to wait- but now I add things all the time.
    8. Just discovered this today when you try to dl a file from the www it now gives you an option to open save or cancel-just another reson to love my new 8120!

vinster no está en línea Stack level 1
    I need help. I just switched from 8100 to 8120 and i just downloaded the multilanguage because i need the french language in it and when i send a text and want to switch language from french to english, i have 3 choices : french, english usa and english uk ---- How do i remove the english uk or the english USA for that matter ?! I only want it to have french and english whichever. In the manual it says to do the wizard but i did and it still gives me 3 choices for languages. Please help !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast