Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i would say the biggest difference between the two is sideloading speed. In another word, ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

littlestevie no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: Differences Between 8100 and 8120?

Advertisement

i would say the biggest difference between the two is sideloading speed.
    In another word, time is takes to transfer music/file/video/watever from PC to device through USB cable

8100 would take over 10min to sideload 1GB of data, while 8120 can do it in 1min. Truly HIGH-SPEED USB.
    It is because RIM used Cypress Semiconductor Antioch sideloading card in its new 8120.

stuart B no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    256c5822

Re: Differences Between 8100 and 8120?

I tell you what well just super fast, the wifi connection ! I connect my pearl to my home wifi and it can load a page faster than my new all singing (and bloody costly) pc!
    The SureType is really cool but does take a couple of day to get use to it and the 8100

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

TornadoDivine no está en línea Stack level 2
    why would you want wifi.. any website that contains video, that's why. Takes a heck of a lot faster loading times over wifi than over your GPRS/EDGE network. Oh and it's free.. so horrendous data charges overseas are no longer necessary.

I always thought it would be better to have a phone with wifi over GPS as, like many have previously stated, you can buy a GPS receiver. Now I read only the other day that a USB wifi card is for sale - functions similar to an aircard so looks like the 8130 folk can get wifi too.

PIN/ID
    256c5822
    I love my wifi pearl. Yes ok at first I really wanted a pearl with GPS, even thought of moving providers but after reading threads here I went for the wifi version and after having the wifi for a week or so, I wouldn't want anything else. I'm a suretyper hence staying with pearl range and as much as I can have a GPS BB I've declined and had 2 8120 BB's

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Quote Originally Posted by TornadoDivine View Post
    Now I read only the other day that a USB wifi card is for sale - functions similar to an aircard so looks like the 8130 folk can get wifi too.
    I am lost on how this could be added to a BB device. If it is a USB Wifi card, then it is designed to plug into a computer not a blackberry (BB's use mini-USB not USB, the cable is a USB to Mini-USB connector).

Zo

yeah must admit I was curious too - like I say, it was something I read and on a different BB forum (can't remember which though) which didn't go into too many specifics. I'd like to see a link to the actual product to get more info.

I wonder if you had a mini-USB to USB cable with the right female to male connections on the USB end, could you then get it working on the bb?
    BIS | 4.3.0.105
    there's no sense crying over every mistake
    you just keep going until you run out of cake

PIN/ID
    256c5822
    I'm confused. Surely the best thing to do is to have a wifi enabled BB give a GPS puck? Then you have Bluetooth GPS that can be used anywhere and the benifit of wifi all the time for hotspots?! Oh and no cables? If you need to attach your BB to a pc for wifi what's the benifit? Your already in front of a pc and can download and push it across to your BB

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    So I am very, very tempted to get the 8120 and get rid of my 8100 (which I love, but the new features and esp the wifi on the 8120 are calling to me)... My question is about all the 3rd party apps that I have already purchased. Do they all work on the 8120 since I believe it has the newer OS? If not, I think I'll wait a few months and get it once the app developers have all caught up. Also, does the video movie conversion I'm currently using (BBVideo) work in the 8120 or is it different?
    Thanks!

ricky15100 no está en línea Stack level 1
    i went in to an 02 shop today and the guy said that the 8120 does have gps and that he was showing it off to a customer earlier, can someone clarify if the 8120 has gps or not?

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    The 8120 does not have GPS.

The 8110 and 8130 do have GPS.

This is according to BB's specs pages.

Zo

astroboy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    252FE5C0
    I have an 8120 and it does not have GPS. It has Wi-Fi. The 8120 comes with BB maps and will run that and google maps if you connect it to a bluetooth GPS device, like the globalsat BT-359. This is an additional expense, but not a great one.
    Google maps does actually have the ability to approximate your location even without a GPS puck using cell tower triangulation. It's usually only accurate to within a few blocks of where you're at, but it works pretty well. I use it frequently when I forget my GPS puck, which I usually have along when traveling.

the majority of o2 shop staff are dreadful, their support staff are even worse - especially if you're a BIS user.

you're better off looking and asking on BB forums for anything you need to know rather than listening to them.
    BIS | 4.3.0.105
    there's no sense crying over every mistake
    you just keep going until you run out of cake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12