Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lately ive started making my own wallpapers for my pearl, and i use making loosely. ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Jacisipmac no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23e9128a

Didnt know where else to ask this

Advertisement

Lately ive started making my own wallpapers for my pearl, and i use making loosely. basically ive just been grabbing cool stuff off of google or wherever else i can find it, and making it look cool on my phone. but i have some that im fairly proud of (a few Magritte paintings, Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man, some Chuck Close, etc.) granted im just getting started... and i was thinking about putting them up here somewhere but before i did i have a couple of questions.

1. am i correct in my assumption that as long as i dont charge for my backgrounds im not performing any kind of copyright infringement or otherwise illegal acts by using images i find online?

2. if i were going to start a thread with some backgrounds ive made on it where and how might i do that?

this post might be in the wrong forum or these questions might have been answered somewhere else. moderators feel free to move or delete this if need be and if so im sorry for the inconvenience.

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Didnt know where else to ask this

1. There have numerous people here that have shared their wallpapers with all of Pinstack, so you should be fine posting them. (maybe a mod can correct me if i'm wrong)

2. if you go back to "forums home" there is a wallpapers forum. you should start the thread there. i'm assuming you made them for the pearl? you'll want to tell everyone what size they are so they know if they'll fit their devices screen. if you want to post a pic of the wallpapers you can upload them to photobucket (it's what i use) and then copy the link to the pic and use the "insert link" icon (earth with the infiniti symbol). voila

now if you want to post them so we can download them, someone else will have to help with that.

thanks for sharing also!!

fritter no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

you can start post your 8100 wallpapers here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...lpapers-2.html

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

As mudshovel suggested, there is already a thread dedicated to 8100 Wallpapers. That would be a good place to share your work.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

PIN/ID
    23e9128a

Awesome thanks everybody, i just wanted to make sure i wasnt breaking international law and that i put them in the right spots ill get right on that

brooke03 no está en línea Stack level 6

You're not breaking any laws at all! They sound pretty awesome.. post them up!
    /~*brooke

JoshKingston no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

You might be breaking laws as you are using media that you have no clearance for, nor do you have the copywrites.
    There is a site creative commons that you can check out to see some artwork that is open for use or at least do a little bit of research about what is ok and what isn't ok to use.

If you post other peoples works and they are still alive or have been within the last 50 years its safe to assume that you cannot do that unless granted permission from the original artist or current copywrite holder.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but I would rather not see someone sued that didn't need to be because of some blackberry backgrounds.

And the same copywrite laws apply weather you are charging money or not.

I know this because I am in the middle of some court stuff dealing with this exact issue.

PIN/ID
    23e9128a

well thats not good, thanks for the info, you might have just kept me out of prison. some further questions though... most of the stuff im using is famous art, like this:

http://www.worth1000.com/web/media/2...son-of-man.jpg

who is the copyright holder for that? im sure there are thousands of reproductions of that from thousands of sources around the world, but Magritte didnt die untill 1967 so do i have to wait 10 more years before i can use it? how would i get permission to do that?

and what about this:

http://www.lclark.edu/~jproctor/images/vitruvianImage250w.jpg

da Vinci died in 1519 but im sure someone "owns" the Viturvian Man, This is a bummer, however im sure da Vinci and Magritte wouldnt exaclty be excited that some kid was using their work as a blackberry background so maybe its for the best.

and my other question: im currently using The Son of Man that ive cropped and resized as my background on my personal 8100, is that illegal? or is it only bad if i post those online for other people to use?

thanks again

oh dang, and i hope its not against the law to put those links on here. if so, people of authority, i apologize, please dont throw me in jail... ill never do it again...
    Last edited by Jacisipmac; 06-29-2007 at 04:47 AM.

Naylor07 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241ECE99

The internet is a messed up place for copyright laws. I doubt you will ever get sued for posting someone elses pictures on a site like this and I highly doubt you would ever end up in prison. The safest way is just to give credit to the artist and although copyright laws don't matter whether you are selling the stuff or not, it does make a big difference in terms of enforcement. Most places won't enforce it unless they are losing money or you are gaining money off of their work.

PIN/ID
    23e9128a

thanks for all the info everybody!! ill try to get a little library together, get it hosted and put a link up here, hopefully whoever i might offend will be kind enough to send me a cease and desist letter before taking me to the cleaners in a court room

Can I put in a request for starry night?
    /~*brooke

PIN/ID
    23e9128a

Haha here you go, i had to make two because i couldnt decide which crop section looked better, including the moon:,
    http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...arrynight1.jpg

or including the brush in the front.:
    http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...arrynight2.jpg

oh, and i got the original image from wikipedia, here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:V...arry_night.jpg
    it says its public domain since Van Gogh died in 1890

whoops, i had them backwards the first time, i fixed it

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to d/l them when I get home from work.. stupid websense.. haha
    /~*brooke

PIN/ID
    23e9128a

no problem, i need something to keep me busy untill my lazy girlfriend crawls out of bed...

anyone else?

JoshKingston no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

A work is completely free to use if it becomes public domain, so da vinci is probably very safe to use, and anything else that is very old. In the case of the one where the woman died in the 60's I would stay away for a while because she might have willed the copywrites to her kids/husband or something like that.
    If you are making this for yourself, I don't think there is a chance that you can get sued, only if its posted somewhere.
    And giving credit is nice and all and might please the artist enough to keep them from getting mad, but isn't for sure.
    When other people do make prints of original artwork, they buy the writes to do that, so for every print made wether given or sold they give money to the original artist, unless it is public domain.
    This is why theater shows are either brand new written scripts or very old scripts.

And yes, the internet is a very messed up place for copywrite stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast