In my car, I have a MP3 deck with a USB port. Basically, you can ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jpnelson35 no está en línea Stack level 2

Did I Kill My Battery's Life Cycle?

Advertisement

In my car, I have a MP3 deck with a USB port. Basically, you can plug any mass storage device such as a flash drive into it and it will play any MP3s or WMAs on it.

I bought my used Pearl two weeks ago. It has a MicroSD card in it and i have been using it as mass storage. Therefore, I can plug my BB into my car and control my BB music through my stereo deck.

Here's my issue, whenever i plug it in, i get a popup on my phone saying "insuficient USB charging current......." (I assume i get this popup because i dont have the driver installed. I cant install any drivers on my car anyway.) I just click ok and ignore it. However, during the past week, i notice that my battery only lasts about 8-10 hrs on a full charge, even in standby mode the full time. Again, I've only had the phone for two weeks so I dont know if the battery's life was always that short.

My question is did i stunt the life of my battery by having that "insufficient USB charging current..."? or is it most likely that my battery was bad when i bought my phone. I emailed the seller with my question but i doubt he will tell me the truth if he sent a bad battery.

I already bought a new battery for my pearl but i dont want to kill this one, that is if i did kill my old one.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Did I Kill My Battery's Life Cycle?

I don't think the "insuficient USB charging current......." message would be the cause of the battery dying. Although I cannot be certain.

It depends on what else you have running on the pearl. Are there alot of apps running in the background? That could be the cause of the battery drain.

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

the Lithium Ion battery SHOULDN'T be effected by odd charge cycles, from what I've read, they actually prefer short cycles (full charge to less than full discharge to full charge again). I experienced weird power cycles for a bit, turned off color pearl, got picky about turning off unused apps, turned on autodim, etc. and noticed a nice improvement. Hope that helps.
    The above commentary is for entertainment purposes only. If this was actual joke the tone you just heard would have been followed by emergency response information. It's supposed to be fun people.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I'm seeing the same issue with my Pearl (by the way, this is my 3rd Pearl).

I only use it as an MP3 player at home, and for text if needed when my other phone starts hiccuping which happened Saturday. I can leave my Pearl unplugged from my PC and by the time I come back from a busy day it's in the red with between 0-10% power left. It's getting better but the first few times it happened it kinda had me worried. I am also using an extended battery which, when I had the Pearl activated, I could get 2 days on a charge depending on use.

synik103 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    OICU812

use alt+back (between the trackball and end button) while holding alt, use the trackball to scroll left and right. messages, browser, homescreen, BBM, and phone (and i think PTT for those that have it) are always on, any others are using memory, and thusly power, close em down when you're not using them. that should make a difference. of course, there are a LOT of factors that can effect a battery (humidity for instance) so it's not impossible that something else is going on.
    The above commentary is for entertainment purposes only. If this was actual joke the tone you just heard would have been followed by emergency response information. It's supposed to be fun people.

yoyoboy no está en línea Stack level 2

How many hours do you get when just playing mp3s? It sounds to me as if you are listening a few hours of music a day and that is a big drain on battery life. Give it a charge and use it without the mp3 player and see how that goes. The error message just means that the usb port in your car can not charge the bb.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by synik103 View Post
    use alt+back (between the trackball and end button) while holding alt, use the trackball to scroll left and right. messages, browser, homescreen, BBM, and phone (and i think PTT for those that have it) are always on, any others are using memory, and thusly power, close em down when you're not using them. that should make a difference. of course, there are a LOT of factors that can effect a battery (humidity for instance) so it's not impossible that something else is going on.

I never knew about these programs running in the background. I think i always have a few games running in the back. Thanks for the alt trick! I'll start doing that as well.

But i dont understand why these programs would use power if my phone is in standby. Do they?
    Last edited by jpnelson35; 10-30-2007 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoboy View Post
    How many hours do you get when just playing mp3s? It sounds to me as if you are listening a few hours of music a day and that is a big drain on battery life. Give it a charge and use it without the mp3 player and see how that goes. The error message just means that the usb port in your car can not charge the bb.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

The thing is though that i having been doing that thing with my car, or playing MP3's for the last 3-4 days. I usually keep my phone in standby mode (by holding the mute button). And i still lost a bar every hour and a half.

I just get my new battery last night. So far, I've only lost half a bar (dimmed) in five hours. Obviously my old battery was bad. But i dont think it was bad when i got it.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073 View Post
    I'm seeing the same issue with my Pearl (by the way, this is my 3rd Pearl).

I only use it as an MP3 player at home, and for text if needed when my other phone starts hiccuping which happened Saturday. I can leave my Pearl unplugged from my PC and by the time I come back from a busy day it's in the red with between 0-10% power left. It's getting better but the first few times it happened it kinda had me worried. I am also using an extended battery which, when I had the Pearl activated, I could get 2 days on a charge depending on use.
    So did you ever et the "unsuficient USB charging current..." warning?
    Are you saying that you also got this message before your battery started going dead early?