Hey everyone, I am new to blackberry, just received Black Pearl for Cingular in mail ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

lladna no está en línea Stack level 1

Desktop manager, phone software, version????

Advertisement

Hey everyone, I am new to blackberry, just received Black Pearl for Cingular in mail yesterday and am using it to replace treo 650.
    Could someone give me the synopsis on what the latest versions of the desktop manager are and if I downloaded them correctly (mine says "version 4.2.1.8(Jan 16, 2007)"). I downloaded this update from the blackberry website. Is there a more current? Does this one have the DST patch? Why is there not a check for updates tab on the desktop manager program?
    Also is the "Device Manager" a separate patch? It says "version 4.2.1.9, and then 3.1.0.1." Do they work separately?
    Ok one final question this time. I plan on activating phone this afternoon. Where on web do I download latest software version for the phone itself, and which version number should that say? Thru cingular? Red Pearl seems to show a higher version number, should I download that one for this Black Pearl?
    I know that is a lot of questions for a new guy, but I appreciate the help, until I get my feet wet. I look forward to seeing how great this phone is like most here seem to think. It will be nice to not have the bulky Treo connected to my hip all the time.
    Please have a good and safe day.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: Desktop manager, phone software, version????

You should have all the lastest software. It looks like your Desktop Manager is up to date. Not exactly sure about the DST patch. Your pearl probably has .71 OS and I just think .73 OS has the patch already installed. Not postive about this though. With .71 OS you had to apply the DST patch everytime you installed a new app. It was easy though. I would just leave well enough alone until you've read up on what exactly you want. Or at least until you get use to your pearl. Once you're comfortable then you can start tinkering with other things. Just my opinion. If you have any other questions just ask. Welcome to the stacks too!!

Thanks for the reply and welcome.
    I will mess with the phone and see how things work out and I am sure post more questions or search here for answers. Can anyone explain what the difference is between the Desktop manager, and the Device manager (yes i know the obvious answer, any more details?)?
    Thanks again.

GotPearl? no está en línea Stack level 5

Device manager is if you have more than one Blackberry. So if you don't get them mixed I believe. Desktop Manager is to load files onto your pearl and backup information you have on it just incase your pearl crashes. You can also transfer music through it, not the best way. Have you bought a micro sd card yet? If you haven't that would be a good idea.

no card yet, won't do much music but would like to be able to view only word and excel documents, any idea how to get them from pc to Pearl using desktop manager.
    Should I delete device manager?
    Thanks again from new guy to Blackberry