I posted this yesterday in another thread but got no response...maybe the wrong thread....maybe I'm ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!

Question desktop manager, mms, and memory issues

Advertisement

I posted this yesterday in another thread but got no response...maybe the wrong thread....maybe I'm too impatient. This is all new to me! Help please

I just recently purchased my first Blackberry and have a few issues and questions. I have spent several hours reading various threads and am finding myself overwelmed by some of the info that just goes over my head, and then some other things that just seem to have no fix. Here's some basic info: I have the 8130 Pearl through Alltel. The BB OS on the device is 4.3.0.81. The version of desktop manager is 4.3.0.15 My issues/questions are as follows:

1. Getting the "no additional appications for your device were found" when trying to add games etc. from the desktop manager. No probs with OTA downloads though. I've read the threads but just don't understand what to try for a fix, although by reading this thread it seems there is no current solution.

2. The book that came with my 8130 gives instructions for MMS but I have no options for it on my phone. Is there any validity to what I have heard or read that it will be enabled but there are issues that Alltel is working on a patch for? I miss my picture messaging!

3. What is a memory leak? On mine, I did a battery pull yesterday or the night before and by this evening I had lost over 5 million Bytes. I had not downloaded any new apps, I've been keeping my messages deleted, and all new music and pics go to my memory card. This is what it said about my memory File Free: 10,741,249 Bytes
    File total: 50,462,720 Bytes

after a battery pull: File Free: 16,021,045 Bytes

I had used the web browser alot, used Pocket Express to view news and weather, viewed videos on youtube, lots of playing around and exploring the icons and apps on my phone. Where does the memory go? Why does it come back after a battery pull? Is there such a thing as too many battery pulls? Should I limit it to once per week? At what level would I expect problems from a low # of Free bytes?

OK I think that's enough for a start. I would really appreciate some patient, detailed, helpful hints that apply to my issues with my Alltel 8130. THANKS!!!!

BusyME no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    31C7A695

Re: desktop manager, mms, and memory issues

1. There is no current solution. You have to download your phone's software to your computer. It's not currently available from Alltel (I have them too!)

2. Also not available from Alltel yet. I was told they were working on a patch for this and it would be released ASAP.

3. And according to this thread, Alltel/Blackberry has fixed the memory leak issue with this OS version. Also, you may find this thread, about the Memory Cleaner, interesting/helpful. Some of the memory loss you're noticing is probably cookies, etc.

Good luck!

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

1: You need the BB OS on your PC prior to trying to install any apps through desktop manager. You can download Alltels version here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...03923A1C591DB4

You can also use other vendors versions when updates become available by deleting the vendor.xml file located in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\App Loader This will allow the OS to be recognised by the BB and be loaded as an update. More on that if you need to in the future!

2: Try highlighting a contact in the address book and hit the menu button. See if "MMS <contact name>" is one of the options. If so, choose it.

3: Memory is kind of deceiving sometimes. The reason you see a change in available memory after a battery pull and a drop after a while is mostly due to the apps you are running, i.e. browser, pictures, music and such, caching files for easy and quick access. That is one of the reasons that the BB seems slower after starting and quicker after some apps have been opened. The files are cached for easy access. Sometimes some people are too quick to dismiss it as a memory leak when it may not actually be one. Not saying that it does not happen, but with almost every new OS update, people start throwing around "memory leaks" when they see the memory drop some. I find it hard to believe every update has this issue.

Hope the info helps and solves your problems...
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 01-07-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Thanks for the response guys. I emailed Alltel support and was told that the memory and mms issues both would be addressed by a patch coming in about a month or so. We'll see.

Doudaddy thanks for the link to the update. I'll try downloading it later and see if it helps. I have to get working but will probably try playing with it during my lunch. I'll let you know if it works.....but more likely I'll be back with more questions

I'm still a BB idiot!

OK thank you doughdaddy! I got it running, although you should have warned me about the slow response and solid red light after the update. When I disconnected it was just a black screen and a solid red light so I pulled the battery and for a few seconds still just a solid red light....then it started to restart.....took way longer than previous times........haha I thought I'd just ruined my bb....almost pooped my pants But it's up and running and I downloaded a game via dm. Seems to work

busy me....use the link from doughdaddy...it works!

doughdaddy no está en línea Device Pro

Sorry, I did not realise it was an upgraded version from yours or I would have warned you. It does take a while and sit on a blank screen for a few minutes. glad it has worked out for you and that your pants are still clean!
    Last edited by doughdaddy; 01-08-2008 at 07:19 PM.

Me too! The versions were the same but it updated the help section for some reason. Whatever....its all good now!~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~