Hi All, newbie personal user here with a head-scratcher of an issue. I'm a 5-day ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

aktiv no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Default browser and links are inactive

Advertisement

Hi All, newbie personal user here with a head-scratcher of an issue.

I'm a 5-day Pearl owner that is very happy with the device, up until Christmas Eve. I synced the device with my old palm data (1200 addresses, etc.) earlier that day. Sometime later, when I tried to use the browser I got my mystery.

Basically, I get no response from the device when I attempt to open the browser. The device doesn't lock up, it's just that nothing happens. The same lack of response occurs when I try to open the desktop links "T-zone" and "Set up Internet mail", and when I click on links in messages.

Just guessing that my BB was choking on the new data from my palm, I restored the device to the backup settings made before I loaded all the palm data; that's how the device is now. Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem.

Any ideas here? I DO have data access, as I can send and receive messages. I've seen other postings about "service books" and the like, but I can't make any sense about them. I suppose I could try loading the Opera browser, but I'd prefer to get the stock apps running.

Also on the device:
    • Google Maps
    • BB free games, including Bass Masters, Brickbat, Ka-Blam, and Sudoku (I may be off on some of the names a little)
    • Two free themes from BB were loaded and later removed: Pink and one I think is called "Horizon".
    Any ideas anyone ?? Thanks!

Keith.
    Last edited by aktiv; 12-25-2006 at 08:35 PM.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    aktiv, Welcome to PinStack.

First try going to Options/Advanced Options/Host Routing Table and opening the menu. Select Register Now. After you receive the Registration Message, do a Cold Reboot (Battery Out, wait 15-30 sec, Battery Back in). If that doesn't work, Log in to your BIS Account from your PC. Find the Send Service Books Button and click it.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help with this problem or your BB.

Rcbjr
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    First try going to Options/Advanced Options/Host Routing Table and opening the menu. Select Register Now. After you receive the Registration Message, do a Cold Reboot (Battery Out, wait 15-30 sec, Battery Back in).
    Awesome, that did the trick. I guess this explains the occasional and mysterious "Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network" messages that I was getting.

Out of curiosity, what exactly does that message mean, and what did my actions perform?

Thanks again

keith.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Keith, when you re-registering your handheld, T-Mobile re-sends you your service books for your handheld. These are all the files that you need for your BB based upon the service plan that you have purchased. The reason you need to re-boot your unit is so that it recognizes the new books upon boot up.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbyar
    Keith, when you re-registering your handheld, T-Mobile re-sends you your service books for your handheld. These are all the files that you need for your BB based upon the service plan that you have purchased. The reason you need to re-boot your unit is so that it recognizes the new books upon boot up.
    Thanks ljbyar. So I guess "service books" are some type of connection/configuration parameters? Have people had the experience of losing/corrupting the books when importing data from another device?

Thanks for everyone's help. Cheers

Keith.