On vacation, battery was fully charged. I received a text message and replied successfully. I ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

martire no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Dead Pearl

Advertisement

On vacation, battery was fully charged. I received a text message and replied successfully. I placed the Pearl on a table. Picked it up 30 minutes later and absolutely no life in it at all. I've tried removing battery. Removing and replacing SIM and Micro SD card, in case there was a connection problem. Tried recharging and/or operating from external power via AC, DC and to computer USB port. Computer recognizes Blackberry for a few seconds, then drops it and won't connect with DM. I've run out of ideas. There are NO lights of any kind on Pearl (blinking, steady or otherwise). Absolutely no sign of life at all. Any ideas?

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    The device doesnt charge when you plug it in right?

Here are something you can try

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...connected.html

Lightbulb Problem solved

Thanks for the suggestion received, but I have found the solution. Not logical, but still the solution.

I went to the AT&T store thinking my BB was still in warranty, but the warranty expired 2 months ago. The salesman tried his charger with no success, so suggested I upgrade and just buy another phone. I was just about to agree to purchasing another Pearl (for $200) when I asked if I could just try another battery.

The battery was the problem. I had remembered that sometimes batteries will short, internally, rendering all external power sources totally useless. This, evidently, was the case. The new battery turned the phone on immediately, and all my various chargers now provide power for the phone.

Such a simple solution that I'm surprised that I have not been able to find any troubleshooting tips, anywhere, that say "try a new battery." Certainly I'm not the only person to face this problem.

Bottom line: a bad battery will render your Pearl totally useless - not external power sources will allow you to use your phone even when plugged in. I STRONGLY suggest that everyone who owns a Pearl carry a spare battery. I plan to but another so I'll always have one available.

I was out of service for 3 days, while traveling, could not access my phone numbers or addresses, could not contact family, nor could they contact me, and all I had to do was buy a new battery. Even though everything was backed up, it was on my computer at home. I also suggest that everyone print out your address book and carry a copy with you.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    There are actually a few troubleshooting tips for that. The first usually being plug in the comp or charger without the battery and see if the display lights up with a battery symbol and a cross through it.

Glad you were able to get it working for the low cost of a new battery though.

Zo

Of course, those would be the tips I couldn't find. Murphy's Law! Thanks for your interest.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6
    Yup. They pull up when you don't need them but hide on the last page when you do.

Zo