I've had my Pearl now for almost a year without any issues, but lately weird ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bfourney no está en línea Stack level 1

Dead Pearl?

Advertisement

I've had my Pearl now for almost a year without any issues, but lately weird things have been happening. Right now it appears dead and won't turn on, I've tried charging it from the wall & laptop, removing the battery, etc. When I first plug it in it does seem like it wants to charge but the LED flash turns on full blast and the phone shuts off. If I plug it in without the battery I get the display to show that the battery is removed and the LED flash stays on full blast...

This happened once before a couple of weeks ago and it magically started working again a couple of days later without any intervention. Is this a known issue with the Pearl or is there anything I can try? I have equipment insurance with T-Mobile but there is some stuff I would like to get off of it first...

Thanks,

Bryn

russcrypto no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Re: Dead Pearl?

Hey bfourney,

Welcome to the stacks!

I've never encountered this problem, but I'm sure I, or someone else around here, can help you work it out.

I see that because you've had your 8100 so long, that it's probably a T-Mobile branded device. Which OS are you running right now?

Have you added any apps to your device recently? Were there any error messages displayed around the time this first occurred? How did it run after it fixed itself the first time?
    Russcrypto

Welcome to the Stacks!

New to BlackBerry or Pinstack? Please Read:

Forum Rules and Guidelines

Click here to email me.

Dasher no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    21F6D890

Hey bfourney! How is it going? I hope you don't mind me asking have you dropped the device?
    By the way Welcome to Pinstack!
    A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him. Fools admire, but men of sense approve.

Quote Originally Posted by russcrypto
    Hey bfourney,

Welcome to the stacks!
    Thanks!

I've never encountered this problem, but I'm sure I, or someone else around here, can help you work it out.

I see that because you've had your 8100 so long, that it's probably a T-Mobile branded device. Which OS are you running right now?
    It is T-Mobile branded. I don't think I've ever updated the OS so it's probably still running the OS it shipped with. I never had any issues or a reason to update it.

Have you added any apps to your device recently? Were there any error messages displayed around the time this first occurred? How did it run after it fixed itself the first time?
    I have added apps, but none lately. GMail, Google Maps, and Yahoo Go are all I think I added. I don't recall any error messages, though it does occasionally throw an error when starting Google Maps or when powering on, but that's only happened a handful of times. It's been running just like normal since the last time this happened.

I left the battery out overnight and just put it back in and am currently charging. Looks like it's at least trying to charge now, though with the Flash LED on...

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    Hey bfourney! How is it going? I hope you don't mind me asking have you dropped the device?
    It has been dropped once or twice in the last year with no real physical damage. I don't think I dropped it just before all this started happening though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    By the way Welcome to Pinstack!
    Thanks man! Seems like a friendly place

Bryn

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

I have heard of instances where the Battery suddenly will no longer attempt to recharge. Some of the batteries do not like it when they get run down to 0% for some reason. If you can, try using another Pearl's battery and see if it will operate/continue to charge.

If it will, and its within a year, you can get your battery replaced under warranty. You'll need to go back to a T-Mo store to do this, I think.

Welcome to the Stacks!
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

OK, I think I figured out what is going on. I went by the T-Mobile store today and they gave me a fresh new battery. The Pearl powered on with the Flash LED on full blast, but I could use the phone normally.

I think what's happening is that somehow the Flash LED is stuck on and drains the battery faster than it can be charged. Is there any way to directly turn the Flash LED on or off? I should have just enough battery life to get everything off the phone before it dies again...

Now if I could just figure out how to get BB Desktop running on Vista so I can get everything off.

Bryn

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by bfourney
    I've had my Pearl now for almost a year without any issues, but lately weird things have been happening. Right now it appears dead and won't turn on, I've tried charging it from the wall & laptop, removing the battery, etc. When I first plug it in it does seem like it wants to charge but the LED flash turns on full blast and the phone shuts off. If I plug it in without the battery I get the display to show that the battery is removed and the LED flash stays on full blast...

This happened once before a couple of weeks ago and it magically started working again a couple of days later without any intervention. Is this a known issue with the Pearl or is there anything I can try? I have equipment insurance with T-Mobile but there is some stuff I would like to get off of it first...

Thanks,

Bryn
    I have already been thru this 3 times on 2 Pearls. The first Pearl was saved thanks to reboot instructions on the forum. The second time I wasn't able to save anything and had to replace the device.

I JUST got my 2nd Pearl revived earlier today after it shut down last week. Right now I am in the process of wiping and reinstalling the OS again because JiveTalk won't connect but it shows it on the homescreen of the Pearl but is nowhere to be found in Options>Advanced>Applications.

OK, looks like somehow the Flash LED has reversed it's logic. Instead of always OFF unless using the camera app, it is always ON unless using the camera app. Whoops! Doing a wipe didn't help and neither did installing the latest T-Mobile OS.

I should be getting a replacement in the next day or two.

Thanks for all the help guys,

Bryn