Guys, I just bought my Pearl on eBay and plan on using this phone in ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

ndwgolf no está en línea Stack level 2

Data Connection refused

Advertisement

Guys,
    I just bought my Pearl on eBay and plan on using this phone in my home in Thailand, when I made enquiries about whether I could use it in Thailand I was told I could because the phone was "unlocked". Anyway the nice chap that was selling the phone delivered it to my mums house and I put my Thai sim card in which has internet access through GPRS and also international roaming, anyway the phone booted up and is working fine, I called my service provider in Thailand about sending me the settings for MMS and SMS and also for the Push Mail but she said I will need to wait until I get back to Thailand and she can easily help me set it up there over the phone. She did send me a text 5 mins later asking me to make sure that the Blackberry was not associated with a service provider in the UK, I called the seller back and he said that it wasn’t the phone was unlocked.
    Anyway with my Thai Sim card in the phone works great, but I have just put my pay as you go UK Vodaphone card in and although the phone can make and receive calls it says "data connection refused" at the top of the phone.
    My question is after this long drawn out message;
    1/. Will my phone work ok in Thailand?
    2/. Is the phone fully unlocked (if there is such a thing as fully?)
    3/. Is it showing me data connection refused when I use my UK vodaphone car because it is just basic pay as you go without internet access?
    I am heading back to Thailand on Thursday and just worry about the above stuff, the seller has said that if I have a problem when I get back to Thailand he will replace or give me back my money but it’s the hassle of trying to do that from the other side of the world?

That’s all for now thanks
    [FONT='Monotype Corsiva'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Monotype Corsiva'][/FONT]

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Data Connection refused

1. If your phone is unlocked, which it sounds like it is, it should work in Thailand. A list of service providers can be found on the BlackBerry Downloads Sites page. Hopefully one of them is the one you're with already, and they'll be able to set you up with a BlackBerry Data Plan.

2. Normally when you purchase a phone or BlackBerry through a provider, it is "locked" to their network. Either a phone is unlocked or it's not. No such thing as "fully" unlocked! Note that this is not the same thing as a BlackBerry that has restrictions imposed by IT Policy, such as requiring a password, which is sometimes (incorrectly) referred to as being locked.

3. The translation of the error message "Data connection refused" is "No BlackBerry Data Plan"! Although you won't be able to browse the Internet or get email until you get a plan, as you indicated you can use the phone functions. SMS and MMS messaging don't use the Data network - they come in through the cell phone network which is why they work.

Your Thai SIM card needs to register on the Data Network of your service provider. The first time this is done you must have a connection directly to the provider's network - you can't do it if you're someplace they don't cover. Once the SIM card is registered on the network and you get a BlackBerry Data Plan, you should be set.

You could have a card registered in Thailand and then shipped to you and use it. However, you'd be subject to (exorbitant) roaming charges which is why people get unlocked phones, even from providers, so that they can get a SIM card from a local provider when traveling.
    JerryD

ndwgolf no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Data Connection refused

Perfect, thanks for the info, i have been with AIS in Thailand for over 10 years now and i am classed as one of the VIP customers for the very fact that i travel alot and only recently found out about using local SIM cards so as you put it i have been paying exorbitant charges for years