Ok so this is my first BB and I have some really noob questions might ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

hurricane_06 no está en línea Stack level 1

Couple questions from a noob

Advertisement

Ok so this is my first BB and I have some really noob questions might sound dumb but i just have no other way of knowing.

1. Do you need to have a data plan to use the maps app?

2. Does anything happen if i install the newest Rogers update to my Pearl if its T-Mobile?

P.S. Pinstack is the best ive had other carriers and visited other forums but nothing compares to the support you guys give.

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro
    1 - what maps app are you talking about? Goggle or RIM? I think they both may use the internet to get information, which means you need data.

2 - You will have a new OS on your BlackBerry. You just have to delete the vendor.xml file on your PC in order to get the OS to load on the Berry.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

1. RIm

2. But will i still have t-zones and all that other stuff or will i have Rogers stuff. I wanna load it beacuse they sayb it fixes some issues with the trackball disabling the ringer wen in your pocket

Shouldn't make any difference. All the carriers basiclly have the same OS. I have had Telstra, Bhari just to name a few on my 8700 and all my stuff works fine. You might have to resend your service books when the upgrade is done.

Allow a little time ( maybe an hour) and make sure you backup before you start.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

can you explain that to me slowly please about the service books and backup plz. as you can see i am a noob

Plug you BlackBerry into the PC and open your Desktop Manager. You should see a BackUp and restore icon. Click on it. Click Backup and pick a location to save your file. I usually leave the file name the default as it makes sense to me. Click Save and let it run.

Do all this before you install the new OS and before you delete the vendor.xml. Disconnect your BlackBerry and Close Desktop Manager.

Once the backup is done load the new OS on your PC. Once that is done search your PC for the vendor.xml file and when you find it delete it.

Now plug you BlackBerry back in and open up Desktop Manager. You may get a prompt to upgrade as soon as they connect, if not double click on the applicaiton loader and you should get it.

Leave it alone and let it run.... it might take awhile. It will let you know when it is done.

Once you have the new OS if your web browser or email is missing you can request your service books a few ways, via PC at the Tmobile website, on your BlackBerry Browser using Set up Internet E-mail (won't work if you are missing a browser), or on your BlackBerry in Options, Advanced Options, Host Routing Table - Select Register Now from the menu.

Only load the OS if you are 100% comfortable with it. I personally have never had a problem, but problems can happen.

You may loose data in the upgrade, you can always go back to Backup and Restore, click restore and pick the file you backed up just before to get most of it back.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Thanx for helping a noob out completetly understand it now.

No problem. Let us know if you need anything else.
    My Blog , My Flickr