great writeup jaspreet!
Well i wasn't aware what new features would be provided in the new Os i.e 188.8.131.52. When i installed it I was so happy and excited to see the new features. but seeing here in this forum i am getting some people having issues with the installation of this OS. I will give you procedure on how to install the OS
Well firstly download the New OS from the below listed lnks:
Direct Download link from Rapidshare:
(a) Scroll to bottom;
(b) Click Free;
(c) Type in 4 Letter/Number Combination and
(d)Click "Download Via..." :
From the vendors website:
- when you downloaded the update file. install it (don't connect you Pearl while you are installing Desktop manager or the update file). Make sure you first install the Desktop Manager and then install the Update file. Well wen i installed the OS i was using Desktop Manager 4.2 and it depends upon you to update it to 4.2 sp1 or 4.2 sp2
- Ok now before connecting your Baby Pearl....be sure to delete the vendor.xml file in the apploader folder. the correct path is
- C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/App loader/vendor.xml
- (there are 15 other dll files than this vendor.xml file. don't mess or delete the other files.)
- Now connect you BB Pearl to the desktop Manager and it will show you a message ( An Update Is Recommended for your phone). This messge will only come after you delete the vendor.xml file
The Final Process will start This process takes about 30-45 minutes (no matter it can complete in 20 mins).
- Click on UPDATE NOW button on that message.
This line is specially for the users. Before you start the update make sure that if you are using the laptop it must be connected to a power source (otherwise you will cry wen the laptop will go sleep due to lack of power and the update will crash and the BB will be dead). If you are using the Personal Desktop computer then ensure that the UPS has enough backup power (who knows the power fails. it usually happens in INDIA).
- Ok i in the updating window If you want to restore the data. then click on the option restore data befor update if not then you can go with do not restore.
Don't unplug the phone from the usb until the desktop manager says YOUR DEVICE HAS BEEN UPDATED and an finish button appears (most people unplug the phone before this message and make their bb go white )
- the updating window appears
- Connecting to the phone
- Restoring application data (if you had enabled the restoring option)
- Connecting to the Device JVM BOOT ROM ( the phone will reboot on its own)
- Updating the device (might take 10-15 mins)
- Connecting to the device(again the phone will reboot)
- Initializing the device (this might take around 10-15 mins..the hour glass screen will appear. don't get panic and don't touch the phone or wire)
- After initializing the phoen thw phonw will turn on showing you the vendor logo screen
- Restoring data (again if you had enabled)
FEATURES UPDATED on Saturday, Jul, 28 at 10: 57 AM (Indian Time)
1. After installing the new update you will find that the vendor ID remains the same (for e.g. if you have your vendor as T-mobile..after update it remains to T-mobiel. no vendor changing)
2. The Phone reboots much faster (ha ha i was getting start screen before the vendor logo goes off lolz so much fast)
3. The standby mode is so fast a click will make it go sleep and again a click makes the phone in normal mode (all i think it takes .1 to .2 seconds
4. The media card loads faster than the older versions.
5. If the name of the songs are too long. it rotates like a marquee in the media player (same as it happens in the winamp media player on ur pc)
6. in the media player option you get a new option activate handset speaker. (now you listen to your favorite songs like you are listening to somebody on the phone...this is good for those whose girlfriends or parents say that plz off the songs we want to sleep)
7. A new app comes voice notes. now you can personaaly send voice notes to your near and dear one through MMS.
8. Many new options like "GPS", "MDS Activation" (only if you installed MDS runtime libraries to your BB), come in the options>advanced menu and "Bluetooth" in the Options main menu
9. Where is my bluetooth ( at first wen i updated was not getting the icon in the menu, turn bluetooth on, i got panic!!!, but i found its in the Setup bluetooth option. you can turn it on from there and also from Options>Bluetooth.
10. The bluetooth speed is faster than other OS adn its connectivity is good
11. One thing i noticed that i am getting a new folder named folder-icons in the preloaded media in pictures section and there are many pictures of folder icons like folder purple, folder green, folder downloads. i am not getting why they are here wen they are of no use...it's not Windows vista where we can change the appearance of the folders. (may be somebody knows here)
12. A set of some new ringtones in the preloaded media.
13. You can now copy media files from one folder to another...(in the Os 184.108.40.206 you can only move the file....but here you can copy it...and the original files lies where it was earlier..and a new file is copied in the folder you want)
14. Messages and E-mails can be separated in the Message general options..now you can read your e-mails and messages separately
I will update it regularly wen i get to known of new features of this OS on my device
one last advice dont get panic during the whole process and dont unplug the bb until you had finished the updating. and i will not be held responsible if you try your own methods and after wards say i was just following the method that JASPREET posted here. it all depends upon you how you follow.
Last edited by Jaspreet; 07-28-2007 at 01:31 AM.
great writeup jaspreet!
If u upgrade the OS, do u have to upgrade the DM? tia
-----------------------------------OSU Buckeye's # 1
Thx a lot!
excellent write up on key features
Nice write up
THIS IS FOR YOU LOWRIDER
its your wish to upgrade the desktop manger...you can upgrade it to 4.2 sp1 as it is a stable release or go with the bundled Desktop manager 4.2 that is shipped with your blackberry..i updated using desktop manager 4.2 the one bundled with my phone
I really thanks anfrey for it support by giving me a trust level and others for saying my post excellent.....i am really very thanful to all the users
Is this safe to use for an unlocked AT&T phone? The file is downloaded from a non-BB or AT&T website. Just checking before I d'load it. Thanks.
This is safe and is provided by Mobikom Austria...this file can be said as a patch or fix file to all your bb issues like..them not showing....pearl is working slow....and the call goes dead...like that...these files are safe....i am using it..and now i save 10-20 mins as my pealr works faster and i can focus on other works too...
secondly i am also using an unlocked T-mobile phone...thsi is very safe..it does not changes your vendor id...like my vendor was 100 befor update and it remained 100 after update also....my unlocked T-mo works very well with this upgrade
Thanks, Jasp. Just checking!
oh sure budy i am always here to help others dont do the mistake what i had done to my BB while working...i always provide genuine information and software for stackers here...no Mess i do...just trust
Good stuff.. i will try this tonight.
hey is it ok if i use my t-molie to install this
Thanks for the write up, but we already to have a write up on this, that is universal for all OS, and makes and models of Blackberries. It is located here.Originally Posted by Jaspreet
Also, the voice notes, and folder icons were available after the TIM upgrade.
Black G1 w/Root
JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme