Hi All, Please go steady with me, i am new to blackberry devices! I am ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

adwalshaw no está en línea Stack level 1

Converting a BES blackberry to a BIS blackberry

Advertisement

Hi All, Please go steady with me, i am new to blackberry devices! I am based in the UK and I have purchased a 8100 device via eBay which is locked to Vodafone. It is configured as a BES device (as i have learnt from browsing other forums). I think if i am understanding correctly to use it for personal use i need it to be a BIS device. I have a vodafone contract to the locking isn't a problem, can someone help me by letting me know if/how i can change it from BES to BIS? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Converting a BES blackberry to a BIS blackberry

Contact the original owner if possible and ask him if he can get a blank IT policy pushed to the device to clear it from the BES. Then go to Vodafone's site and set up a BlackBerry email address (and/or add any other personal email addresses you want, up to a total of 10).

Thanks for the reply. The 8100 was unopened when i got it without a SIM so i am sure it hasn't been used. Does this matter? I have set up a vodafone email account but on the device itself in the wizard i only have the option to set up an enterprise email account, so i am guessing i need to update the software somehow?

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by adwalshaw
    Thanks for the reply. The 8100 was unopened when i got it without a SIM so i am sure it hasn't been used. Does this matter? I have set up a vodafone email account but on the device itself in the wizard i only have the option to set up an enterprise email account, so i am guessing i need to update the software somehow?
    If this was a new phone then you just need A) the BB internet feature B)the correct service books. Do you have the browser icon?

I have vodafone live icon, is that what you mean?

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by adwalshaw
    I have vodafone live icon, is that what you mean?
    Not sure. Can you surf the internet? I would recommend calling your carrier to have the service books resent.

I have the service books ok, but no i can't get on the internet. assuming that i can, what do i need to do then?

Did you purchase a BlackBerry Internet Service data plan?

Yes, I have spoken to Vodafone and upgraded my account to be able to use Blackberry services. I think i am going to take the blackberry into the vodafone shop tomorrow, especially as the internet isn't working on it now either. Being naive i thought i would be able to just use it straight off. if i am correct then i should be able to convert it from BES to BIS, is that right?

Click on the Setup Internet Email icon on your homescreen. Click on Service Books. Click on Send All. Exit this. Then click on the Options icon (looks like a wrench). Click on Advanced. Click on Host Routing Table. Scroll down to the bold entry. Click on it and select Register Now!. Take the battery out. Wait 30 seconds. Put the battery back in.

Where is the setup icon? I have found the other under advanced settings, but can't find the first part.

It looks like an envelope with an arrow in front of it.

I don't have the option 'service books' - i can do the registration thing and get the email back, but can't set up email access - i.e. set up any email accounts. I'm pretty sure that i need to reinstall the software somehow first, to get the correct options, does that sound correct?