Hello. I'm still fairly new to the whole blackberry world and have a couple of ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Question Content Protection & Firewall

Advertisement

Hello. I'm still fairly new to the whole blackberry world and have a couple of questions. Being a network admin, I am rather anal about security - but I'm not sure how to translate that to my blackberry and I don't want to go over the top. My BB is for personal use only but I do have a couple of programs on it that have info I'd prefer not to share. I have my BB locked with a password but I wanted to know if I should enable the Firewall and Content Protection? Currently I do have the Firewall enabled, but not Content Protection. Is this worth doing? How will it affect my usage? Are there any problems I should be prepared for if I do enable? (I did read that I shouldn't enable my Contacts if I want to have caller ID)

One of the reasons I'm thinking about enabling Content Protection is because then I have access to the Memory Cleaner! That seems like it would be a helpful app to use on a regular basis.... am I correct in that thought?

I have done a search on the site and read what I could find about it, but most of what I've read seems more directed toward BBs used for business and utilizing BES.

Thanks for any enlightenment!
    Last edited by gritsinct; 07-02-2007 at 03:09 PM.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Content Protection & Firewall

I can tell you now that Content Protection will slow the device down. And should you ever need to wipe the device, it can take HOURS for it to wipe! Been there, done that.

Locking it with a password should enough. If they've gotten past your password, they're past the Content Protection anyway!
    JerryD

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    And caller ID won't work with Content Protection enabled because the incoming phone call won't be able to get to your address book to match the incoming phone # with an entry.

gritsinct no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Thanks for the info! I have been playing around with it and when I enable Content Protection I don't notice any difference in performance. Is this something that accumulates over time - does it get gradually slower and slower? Or maybe it's related to the programs I've used so far? When I enabled it, I left "Include Address Book" set to "No" so I am still seeing my contact info when I get calls.