Best choice for heavy data use: Palm Treo 700P (Sprint Nextel, Verizon) $338 With this ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

jgreg no está en línea Stack level 2

Consumer Reports Rates Pearl

Advertisement

Best choice for heavy data use:
    Palm Treo 700P (Sprint Nextel, Verizon) $338

With this Palm, you can access the high-speed EV-DO network. It holds a Secure Digital (SD) memory card. Its Palm OS makes it easy to use PDA applications. Its Favorites application, with 70 programmable touch screen shortcuts, is one of the most useful we’ve seen. But the small QWERTY keypad takes getting used to and the phone lacks the customary voice-dialing or voice-command features.

Best value in an advanced phone:
    T-Mobile MDA (T-Mobile) $200

Compared with the Palm, this model costs less, has better battery life, and allows you to navigate more easily between tasks. When the slide-out keyboard is opened, the display switches from portrait to landscape mode, making it easier to see documents and spreadsheets. It has a voice-dial application that can dial names from your contact list and launch applications, once trained. It has five one-touch programmable shortcut keys and a touch screen. You can charge the phone from a computer’s USB port. You can access the Web and e-mail using Wi-Fi, though the Bluetooth connection won’t allow such simple tasks as printing photos to a Bluetooth-enabled printer.

Best choice in a basic smart phone:
    BlackBerry Pearl (T-Mobile) $167

The smallest smart phone we’ve tested, yet its trackball, menu, back keys, and programmable keys (one on each side of the phone) make navigation a breeze. Setting up e-mail is also easy; you can access a BlackBerry e-mail address and manage up to 10 additional e-mail accounts. The supplied Intellisync software allows you to synch with Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes. You can charge the phone from a computer’s USB port.

You can easily mute the ringer by holding down the # button. But the keypad, which serves as both a QWERTY keyboard for text and a numeric keypad for dialing, is hard to use; as with phone keypads, each key covers several letters, which hampers writing, especially at first. Unlike the Palm Treo 700P and the T-Mobile MDA, the phone lacks an auto key guard--you have to remember to press and hold the mute button before putting it in your pocket or purse. And the display is hard to see in bright light.

www.consumerreports.com

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: Consumer Reports Rates Pearl

I see why they rated the Treo so highly

See link as per attachment

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Thanks for the link. Interesting how they identify the Pearl as a Basic Smart Phone. Hmmmmmm

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by ljbyar
    Thanks for the link. Interesting how they identify the Pearl as a Basic Smart Phone. Hmmmmmm
    my thoughts exactly.

seedyburner no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2438f59d

That's kind of funny. I find it very easy to type on and find it very easy to navigate. Also, they confused theire # and mute key.

ski837547 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by seedyburner
    That's kind of funny. I find it very easy to type on and find it very easy to navigate. Also, they confused theire # and mute key.
    The mute key puts in Standby Mode (similiar to the keylock mode). But if you see other threads, this phone has no true keylock feature.

ErikRL no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23de7e82

a basic smart phone? thats odd, hell if nothing else it should compete in both classes..... or make its own......SUPER PHONE!!

i hated the treo, and the people here at work that chose those have had nothing but issues with them.... same with all the palm based dumb phones

the MDA is kind of nice, but still too much like the sidekick for me