I have tethered my pearl at home and when running the speed check on cnet ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

bayboy no está en línea Stack level 2

Connection Speed

Advertisement

I have tethered my pearl at home and when running the speed check on cnet it shows a connection of only 51.6kps. I have T-mobile. Does the signal strength affect the connection speed?

Thanks,

Matt

prickleypete no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Connection Speed

Your speed will vary not so much by distance from a tower, but from physical tower type to tower. In the build out of the infrastructure, data capability is an add-on, getting on a "good" tower with a decent signal will be your biggest challenge. There isn't any way to map it out consistently. Don't count on it, nor rely on it as a reliable business tool.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~also TMO has a slow data network. VZW and Sprint's EVDO rev A data network is easily 10x faster.

when you say "~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~" do you just change that in the connection settings on the computer?
    Would you get faster speeds if connecting to the phone using the bluetooth?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~It only says that because I'm replying via BB. I use an RSS Newsreader with this RSS feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/PinstackRimBlackberryForums.

You have a TMO speed connection, you can't get your BB to connect to the net any faster. You can use your BB to provide net connectivity to your computer but not the other way around. Now when the 8820 comes out theorerically you will be able to connect to a wifi hotspot, but until then you have TMO speeds.

absoluteevel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    241C4261

1) Make sure you have EDGE data service. Does your phone indicate EDGE or GPRS?
    2) Have you selected 230,400 as the connection speed in your dialup connection? While you will not likely reach this speed (it will still be falsely indicated as the connection speed) it will remove the limit windows may be placing on the connection.
    3) Use USB, not bluetooth. If you are given the choice on your computer, pick a USB2 port and not a USB1 one. (Some computers have both.)
    4) If you are indoors and the signal is 1-2 bars, put the phone in a window or pick a better location. In my experience, speeds are very slow in my bedroom with 1-2 bars, but fairly zippy (it is EDGE and not EVDO as bartokbatt indicated above, afterall) when I have 3-4 bars on my porch.
    5) Voice is given priority. Try telling all of your neighbors to hang up their T-Mobile phones. :-)

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

Honestly the signal strenght does matter in a way, I mean most likely as long as you have 3 or 4 bars of service you'll be okay though.

The speed you listed at around 50kb is pretty much the fastest you'll get with the EDGE network unfortunatly.

If you want a faster connection at this point you'll need to switch to Sprint or Verizon which use the EVDO network and the BlackBerry supports this connection, unfortunatly it's CDMA so if you plan on traveling you'll be SOL.

BUT if you can hold out.. who know's how long.. hopefully RIM will come out with a device that supports the 3G network, or even better the UMTS/HSPDA.

It connects to the device at some crazy speed. I hook it up to the usb2.0 port. I only have 2 bars in the house. I live out in the country. Why do some say 50k is a good as you will get and then some say you will get 100 to 200? It is on the edge network. It does seems faster then my dialup though.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~you will never get 100 to 200 kbps on T-Mobile or at least any time soon.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the point about telling your neigbors to get off their TMO cellphone, even though humorous, cannot be overstated. You can be sitting at the foot of a TMO tower with absolutely perfect signal quality but if the tower is saturated with everyone is using their phone then you will get no data moving up or down. The same is currently true for all providers-even if they run the data on a different radio frequency ie EVDO.

Crewdawg257 no está en línea BES Pro

I get 115K connection on Pearls in my area and thats without EDGE in the area. I do know the difference between the reported speed and the actual download speeds achieved.

;-)
    --
    I suspect that Microsoft Access is nothing but Microsoft Excel with a VBScript wrapper.
    - Unknown

ricwms no está en línea Stack level 2

Slingmedia.com has a connection test program. I conhsistently run between 160 - 190 kbps on my TMob EDGE.

jjjoi no está en línea Stack level 2

my signal sux cuz where i live. is there anyway to get better recept? anyone try those signal booster things you put in ur phone?