Hello, Alrights, here is another problem I've recently had. Before, I had plain old edge ... BlackBerry Pearl forum

Oranix no está en línea Stack level 1

Confused on EDGE and BlackBerry Enabler!!

Advertisement

Hello,

Alrights, here is another problem I've recently had. Before, I had plain old edge with no MMS and AIM. Though I do have Unlimited Texting Plan.

Then I emailed T-Mobile as well as updating my OS for the Pearl. After that, my Pearl was wirelessly Registered and it gave me MMS and AIM. I also noticed that my edge became EDGE and I didn't even order up a data plan. On MyT-Mobile, the Data Plan isnt checked either. What could that mean?

Also, I have T-Zones now, and wanted to know what I can do on T-Zones that it wouldn't charge me anything?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Oranix; 06-26-2007 at 07:37 PM.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

Re: Confused on EDGE and BlackBerry Enabler!!

you no have data my friend. it is blackberry policy that all blackberries have a data plan. sure you can probally get away using it as just a phone for a bit, but calling customer service about your pearl that has no bb plan, will more then likely get you a data plan...unwanted.

Ok... uh so how come my EDGE is in capital letters and not lower case (edge)? What does that signify? It's like all of a sudden it became capital letters.

glehman85 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID

it means you have data.

edge - phone
    EDGE - data and phone

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Oranix
    Hello,

Alrights, here is another problem I've recently had. Before, I had plain old edge with no MMS and AIM. Though I do have Unlimited Texting Plan.

Then I emailed T-Mobile as well as updating my OS for the Pearl. After that, my Pearl was wirelessly Registered and it gave me MMS and AIM. I also noticed that my edge became EDGE and I didn't even order up a data plan. On MyT-Mobile, the Data Plan isnt checked either. What could that mean?

Also, I have T-Zones now, and I did not order up T-Zones either. But does that mean I can still use it without it charging me?

Thanks!
    Greetings Oranix, and Welcome to the Forum!

While I'm on Cingular / AT&T which is somewhat different than your provider I can answer a couple of your questions.

When you first turn on your Pearl and it's logging onto the wireless network, if you watch closely near the signal strength indicator you will notice the first item that appears is "GSM" (all caps), then as it continues to connect that changes to "edge" (all lowercase), and then in the final stages of completing the connection to the network "edge" should change to "EDGE" (all caps).

Once this process is complete you are properly connected and enjoying the speed advantage of EDGE over the slower GSM connection. You are now able to use your Pearl for voice calls and text messages known as SMS. Both voice and SMS are transmitted the same way as they are not data packets.

In order to use the full capabilities of your Pearl you must have a "data plan" with your carrier. The data plan enables you to transmit packet data which is how you send emails and connect with the internet.

I might suggest you call your customer service for T-Mobile and ask for the BIS Personal Unlimited BlackBerry data plan. It's the least expensive and the best plan for you. It entitles you to unlimited data usage which is what you need to insure that you can browse the net and send all the emails you wish, without limitations.

As far as the T-Zones are concerned I do not know enough about this to offer any ideas or suggestions, however again when you call in they can explain that to you.

Let us know how you do, and if you have any remaining questions.

Cheers....

^^ Thanks for the insight...

So If I have EDGE (as seen near my signal bar atm), but no Data Plan, it is worthless to me?

I honestly don't know why it would be showing EDGE in caps rather than the lower case edge I had just a day ago...

SeRViiCiiO no está en línea Stack level 5

If you didn't add the data plan but now have EDGE!it means that the enhancer has been enabled. What that means is that now you can send mms and aim. If you have unlimited text then you don't have to worry about fees, otherwise is going to be .15 cents each!

For aim use the Tmo application, because jivetalk uses data

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~